The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Arbetsförmedlingen for students

How does it help?

kim sim
post 19.Mar.2010, 08:56 AM
Post #1

Hi there,

I am an international student about to finish my Masters in Göteborg. I have understood that arbetsförmedlingen helps people find jobs. But, I am not sure if it helps students/people like me (non-EU student, about to graduate and swedish level A completed on European scale).
Any information, suggestions regarding this would be highly appreciated.

Tusen tack!
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 19.Mar.2010, 09:19 AM
Post #2

I think that you need to be fully registered in order to get the help of Arbetsförmedlingen - many Swedes have to attend as it is a condition of their unemployment support that they have to prove how many jobs they have applied for and sometimes get coaching etc. However many people feel that AF is not so helpful. Many people don't bother unless they need it for benefits or insurance payments

What you can do - regardless of whether you are registered or not is to use Platsbanken - an online resource where available jobs are listed
http://platsbanken.arbetsformedlingen.se/S...aArbetsort.aspx
+
kim sim
post 19.Mar.2010, 09:41 AM
Post #3

Thanks Puffin. I already registered myself in the arbetsförmedlingen and sometimes search in platsbanken. But, why do they advertise most jobs that are not technical or donot need a Masters degree. Is it like, to find technical field jobs I have to look elsewhere?
+
Puffin
post 19.Mar.2010, 11:55 AM
Post #4

???????
They advertise most jobs - indeed even Professor's jobs are advertised on platsbanken

It may be that you are looking in the wrong category or it may just be few are recruiting at the moment. Gothenburg is an unemployment black spot owing to the problems in industry - many places are still laying off staff
+
kaze
post 19.Mar.2010, 01:27 PM
Post #5

Its pretty rubbish anyway. Your best bet for job searching is to ask your teachers and try and tap into their networks in the field.
+
Nuname
post 19.Mar.2010, 04:47 PM
Post #6

They are useless. I e-mailed and asked if there was anyone within Arbetsförmedlingen who I could speak to regarding getting some advise about working in a particular field and I got an e-mail back basically saying no, you have to research it all yourself.
AMF are only there to stop your money if you don't jump through their hoops. I'm sure the only people who get work from AMF are the people who work there.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: