The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Swedish skill shortages

Vocational training in Sweden

Azrael
post 19.Mar.2010, 01:48 PM
Post #1

This is a repost that I put in another thread and so I should apologise in advance if people have read it before. Nobody commented on it but it asks an important question that I would like your opinion on.

"My brother emigrated to Sweden in the late 1980's. He wanted to be a welder and the training courses in the UK were a joke – just something to get people temporarily off the unemployment figures and so that the government could be seen to be doing something.

He did his Swedish language course.
He did his Swedish welding course which he said was first rate.
He did an apprenticeship so he got work experience.
So he got a job in a field that Sweden needed.

He has never regretted moving to Sweden or paying more tax than he would in the UK as he felt that Sweden was there when he needed help. My brother is very clever but hated the idea of a desk job. He says that in Sweden you get respect for being a skilled craftsman that you wouldn't get in the UK.

I was hoping to do something similar - but not welding!"

In the UK we have skills shortages but nobody wants to sort them out. Was my brother just lucky in Sweden or did he do the right thing? Are there skills shortages in Sweden that an immigrant would be sensible to aim to satisfy? Are there the opportunities in Sweden to gain these skills?
Go to the top of the page
+
Streja
post 19.Mar.2010, 01:52 PM
Post #2

Try arbetsförmedlingen as they sometimes do SFI+vocational training.
+
Streja
post 19.Mar.2010, 01:53 PM
Post #3

http://www.kyutbildningar.se/

Here is the link for another type. Might be more your thing.
+
Azrael
post 19.Mar.2010, 01:59 PM
Post #4

This link from the BBC sums up the UK:

Im never going back to the job centre

"He's having trouble finding work in those fields but he does have a fork-lift truck driving licence and drivers are in demand. Every week he see pages of jobs advertised in the local papers. But unfortunately for Mr Belewski, since losing his job, his licence has expired and because he's unemployed he cannot afford to renew it. For several months he has been promised help to get on a training course but it either keeps getting pushed back or the referrals get lost in the system, he says."
+
Streja
post 19.Mar.2010, 02:00 PM
Post #5

It expires?
+
Azrael
post 19.Mar.2010, 02:18 PM
Post #6

Yes, his license to do a job in demand has expired but he hasn't got the money to renew the license.

A government grant to help him pay it as he is unemployed would be kind. A loan that he repays when he has a job would be sensible. But this does not seem to be available.

And the government say that they do training courses for the unemployed in this skill. Why can't he just sit the exam? Why can't he take the entire course if he has to? The government can't even get that right.

So he is unemployed and employers have skill shortages.

He is enterprising and flexible and prepared to do a job that is less well paid than his previous job but he can't get help.

This is how the UK is managed.
+
temporary
post 19.Mar.2010, 02:33 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Azrael @ 19.Mar.2010, 02:18 PM) *
Yes, his license to do a job in demand has expired but he hasn't got the money to renew the license.A government grant to help him pay it as he is unemployed would be kind ... (show full quote)

Sweden has changed a lot since the 80's. A lot more unemployed people today, competing over shrinking resources.

As a welder you make decent money, it should be your own responsibility to realize if you have a license that you make your living on and that will expire some day in the future, that you save up money in head of time to renew it.

A loan to be repaid back when you get a job sounds good, but what would be the practical scenario today? You might never get a job, and hence the loan will never be paid off. Who would want to give a loan on those grounds? Not even tax payers are that stupid. CSN is bad enough, and they have finally realized they need to change their loaning structure and rules.

If there are government training courses and all you would have to do is take an exam, I do agree you should get that chance. But also there, and especially with courses, there are way too many people wanting/needing them than there are resources today.

The unemployment office is down to administering A-kassa papers and personal life coaches to soon-to-be-depressed-unemployed people, it has become a joke.
+
Azrael
post 19.Mar.2010, 02:41 PM
Post #8

Sorry Temp - my last post was talking about a guy in the news who wanted to be a fork-lift truck driver not my brother who wanted to be a welder.
+
skane refugee
post 19.Mar.2010, 02:55 PM
Post #9

How much does a forklift truck driving license renewal cost?

If it was one of my friends, myself and others would just lend him the money - no question - sorted in minutes ;o)
+
Azrael
post 19.Mar.2010, 03:37 PM
Post #10

Then you are a better friend than the friends he has!
+
temporary
post 19.Mar.2010, 03:47 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Azrael @ 19.Mar.2010, 01:41 PM) *
Sorry Temp - my last post was talking about a guy in the news who wanted to be a fork-lift truck driver not my brother who wanted to be a welder.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood you then.
+
Rick Methven
post 19.Mar.2010, 03:54 PM
Post #12

In the 80's Sweden suffered from over full employment. The level of unemployment was around 4% and in those days with the long term unemployed, it meant that there where many more jobs available than workers to fill them. A lot of Brits moved here at that time to fill the vacancies, learning Swedish on the job.

Those where the days...
+
Azrael
post 19.Mar.2010, 08:05 PM
Post #13

*sigh* I was just hoping that with the right training in the right skills that I could recreate them!
+
Streja
post 20.Mar.2010, 01:41 PM
Post #14

Azrael take a look at the KY site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Education.
+
Puffin
post 20.Mar.2010, 01:51 PM
Post #15

You can also search all of the vocational courses on AMS website
http://www.arbetsformedlingen.se/go.aspx?c=150028

In the 1980s most of these types of courses were available from Arbetsförmedling via the unemployment training centres AMU - however since the mid 1990s many of these have been contracted out to private providers or transferred to komvux.

For example a friend did an nursing assistant course (undersköterska) combined with Swedish lessons at AMU - but these days you do the socialomsorg programme at komvux.

I think also it is rare that you can start as a beginner in Swedish - most places these days require a minimal language level for vocational courses such as SFI D/SAS grund etc
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: