The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Food waste to Biogas

Any other big brother Kommun doing this?

Rick Methven
post 24.Mar.2012, 05:26 PM
Post #1

The plan for householders to separate out food waste from general waste has been heralded for some time now in Linkoping and today I received a little plastic bag holder and a supply of green bags which I am supposed to put my food waste in before I sling it in the bin.

Having a garden and a warm compost bin, during the summer I sling all the food waste in the compost saving me a lot of money as I get charged 2.25kr per kilo for what I put in the dustbin.

I was about to ignore the whole scheme and carry on as normal when I read this in the accompanying leaflet

Attached Image

So according to this, I am allowed to continue to compost my food waste

AS LONG AS I INFORM MILJÖKONTORET blink.gif

They then go on to try and persuade me that I will be doing my bit for the environment id I use their little green bags.

If I do, I loose the compost for my garden, AND I pay 2.25kr per kilo for may waste to be turned into biogas for the Kommunäs buses and vans to run on cheap bio fuel.

I winder if I do inform them that I will continue to use the waste from food that I have paid for for compost in my own garden, will I be outed in the local press as a self centred social outcast that is not doing his bit for the country_ cool.gif

Fu..k them
Go to the top of the page
+
Johno
post 24.Mar.2012, 06:15 PM
Post #2

I had already seen that communes in southern sweden do this, at least for restaurant food waste but just googled it. And found http://www.lidingo.se/toppmeny/byggabomilj...d580004041.html so Trow will probably know all about this (there may some hidden agenda behind it, but he will explain).

Anyway its the first line that caught my eye. The idea that half of our (our own personal that is) household waste is food waste in either the UK or in Sweden is mind boggling. Apart from the fact that we too have a compost heap, do folks really throw away that much food ?
+
Rick Methven
post 24.Mar.2012, 06:29 PM
Post #3

We throw very little away of what we have cooked, but outside leaves of cauliflower/cabbage/lettuce, coffee grounds & tea leaves all weigh quite a bit as they are full of water. Then you have onion skins and fruit peel which all add up. I reckon that in the winter when we can not compost, we throw an extra 5 kg a week in the bin, most of which is water.
+
Furu
post 24.Mar.2012, 06:39 PM
Post #4

Västerbotten does that and http://www.umeva.se/ processes the food waste.
+
Svensksmith
post 24.Mar.2012, 06:56 PM
Post #5

I use food waste to process biogass myself. Drives my wife crazy.
+
Rick Methven
post 24.Mar.2012, 07:25 PM
Post #6

I was producing some just now an was banished from the table sad.gif
+
Svensksmith
post 25.Mar.2012, 01:58 AM
Post #7

I actually read a study that claimed that passing gas was good for lowering blood pressure. Do you think for one minute my wife would buy that?!!
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 25.Mar.2012, 02:15 AM
Post #8

Why not process fine alcoholic drinks into urine...you wouldn't care what anybody thought mellow.gif
+
Miss Friday
post 25.Mar.2012, 04:22 AM
Post #9

When I visited a small island called Storholmen, I saw almost every family there saving the food waste. Beautiful island, but never get close to the its dustbins, the insects and the smelling can really drive me crazy. I might go to Linkoping later, hope I won't need to deal with the insects wacko.gif
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 25.Mar.2012, 11:17 AM
Post #10

Haha, I don't think any Swede knows or cares about this rule, so you can happily continue composting your food waste without notifying Miljökontoret.
+
Gordy
post 25.Mar.2012, 01:34 PM
Post #11

Down here they are now getting the kids to do the dirty work for them!
+
Svensksmith
post 25.Mar.2012, 01:50 PM
Post #12

Go old school and get a couple of pigs and turn your food scraps into bacon.
+
Rick Methven
post 25.Mar.2012, 02:10 PM
Post #13

Not allowed to give food waste to pigs any more.
+
ChocOwl
post 25.Mar.2012, 09:46 PM
Post #14

The rules for composting are pretty similar where I live, Gnesta in Sörmland. I think there are concerns that people will compost with an unsuitable kompostbehållare and that there will be a risk for rats etc. I had to report to Miljökontoret ie tell them what sort of compost container I have. As a resident with my own compost I can choose to have the bin collected only once a month (and pay a lower fee).
The rules were similar in Dalarma where I used to live, however there we had separate bins for compost vs non-compost. In Dalarna I lived in a small rural village and we didn't have to apply/inform about the composting- this is just for those in detaljplanområde I think.
+
John.Smith
post 28.Mar.2012, 11:34 AM
Post #15

We compost all food waste all year round. Our bins used to be brimming with rubbish before, now they are at most 60% full on our fortnightly collection.

With the right composter unit there is little or no fear of rats or foxes. We live in the country side and the composter is never disturbed. Also, even in mid-winter the composting process works great for us, the heat that comes off the unit is incredible even in December and January.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: