The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

For FR: What can a pacifists do?

VikingHumpingWitch
post 7.Mar.2007, 02:24 PM
Post #16

I'm not saying it's right, or that I agree with it. I'm just amazed people were not previously aware that Mecca is closed to non-Muslims. (Though quite why a non-Muslim would have any interest in going there is a mystery to me.)
Go to the top of the page
+
Gustav- Fælbönnran
post 7.Mar.2007, 02:47 PM
Post #17

I just want to reserve the right to invoke the same level of priviledge.

I could care less either way about Mecca being closed to non-Muslims. There are probably valid arguments for and against that policy.
+
Torontonian
post 7.Mar.2007, 02:48 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
I'm not saying it's right, or that I agree with it. I'm just amazed people were not previously aware that Mecca is closed to non-Muslims. (Though quite why a non-Muslim would have any interest in going there is a mystery to me.)

So you would agree there is apartheid in Saudi Arabia?
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 7.Mar.2007, 02:48 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Gus)
I just want to reserve the right to invoke the same level of priviledge.

I don't. Just because other people discriminate doesn't mean I need to stoop to that level. Although, I do support women-only toilets and changing rooms, so perhaps really I'm no better.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 7.Mar.2007, 02:50 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Torontonian)
So you would agree there is apartheid in Saudi Arabia?

Absolutely, Jews are not even allowed to enter the country let alone access any rights. Women are second class citizens. It is appalling, even more so when you think how the West cosies up to this brutal dictatorship.
+
Torontonian
post 7.Mar.2007, 02:54 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (FR)
I'm still around. Been travelling.

A pacifist should leave a country at war. Remember that I also advocate free movement of labor. A pacifist can take his productivity to a better place.

This is the point you and I diverge: You speak on imagin world - leave? buy tickets and board a Swiss Air flight and spend some time in a senatorium in the Alps? People murdered, raped and robbed and all you can say is "leave"?

Where is your morality now? You are so quick to attack a "Western" country for anything ever happened but never ever never ever the rapists ot murderers themsleves. By that you tolerate the intolerant

- like the old saying say:

“He Who is Compassionate to the Cruel Will Ultimately Become Cruel to the Compassionate”
+
Torontonian
post 7.Mar.2007, 02:59 PM
Post #22

Absolutely, Jews are not even allowed to enter the country let alone access any rights. Women are second class citizens. It is appalling, even more so when you think how the West cosies up to this brutal dictatorship.

Darn, I will cancel my travel plans. I wonder why there was a UN boycot on South Africa and there no such thing there. Oh, yes...oil. (BTW, not only the U.S. is guilty but also Russia, Chiana, Japan, and any other coutry favouring that regime. Collective hypocracy indeed. However, a special place should be reserved to "European Left" for not talking about it at all.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 7.Mar.2007, 03:02 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Torontonian)
Darn, I will cancel my travel plans. I wonder why there was a UN boycot on South Africa and there no such thing there. Oh, yes...oil. (BTW, not only the U.S. is guilty but also Russia, Chiana, Japan, and any other coutry favouring that regime. Collective hypocracy indeed. However, a special place should be reserved to "European Left" for not talking about it at all.

I don't recall blaming the US alone. Also I am part of the "European Left" and I bang on about it all the time. I think you need to be dealing with reality rather than stereotypes otherwise this discussion will get very lightweight very quickly.
+
Torontonian
post 7.Mar.2007, 03:06 PM
Post #24

I don't recall blaming the US alone. Also I am part of the "European Left" and I bang on about it all the time. I think you need to be dealing with reality rather than stereotypes otherwise this discussion will get very lightweight very quickly.

I accept you comment. However, my point is that this is NOT at the top of the agenda of the INSTITUTIONALIZED European Left (not you in particular). I am advocating free speach and human rights (and btw, just to make things crystal clear - end of Israeli occupation in the west bank). I do not see this issue mentioned and raised though in any visible capacity.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 7.Mar.2007, 03:07 PM
Post #25

No, the issue is very low priority. I can't imagine why this could be...
+
Torontonian
post 7.Mar.2007, 03:10 PM
Post #26

Inconvinient truth.
+
FR
post 8.Mar.2007, 01:38 PM
Post #27

Except as I understand it, it's very hard to leave Iraq.

That's why I also advocate free movement of labor. It should not be hard for anyone to leave anywhere and it should not be hard for anyone to arrive anywhere. Free market and all that.
+
post 8.Mar.2007, 02:01 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (FR)
That's why I also advocate free movement of labor. It should not be hard for anyone to leave anywhere and it should not be hard for anyone to arrive anywhere. Free market and all that.

except in this case i think they'd consider it deserting.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 8.Mar.2007, 02:22 PM
Post #29

eh? It has nothing to do with freedom of labour, it has to do with criminals killing people who are trying to escape.
+
Torontonian
post 8.Mar.2007, 04:02 PM
Post #30

VikingHumpingWitch:

Please stop being rational and logical and try to pepper you argument with a bit more lofty ideas and unrealistic dogmas.

If you will not do so you arguments will not fit into the "Luft geschaft" gategory.

achhh... as the old Greek saying goes "only people with full stomachs can talk philosophy".
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: