The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Skåne not Scania

No one living in Sweden would use Scania

post 27.Oct.2009, 08:59 PM
Post #1

scania is a swedish trucking company. anyone living in sweden knowing anything about sweden would refer to the southern region of sweden as scania.

the local, the news section, the section where people know things about sweden write about the region skåne.

and it would be darlarna not darlecarlia in case that region gets added.
Go to the top of the page
+
Gwrhyr
post 27.Oct.2009, 09:55 PM
Post #2

This reminds me of the widespread use of "Formosa" in Taiwan as a reference to Taiwan... There are many, many companies which use this obscure Portuguese-colonial name because it means "Beautiful" and beauty is the last thing you see in the middle of modern Taiwanese cities... although the countryside is still extremely beautiful.

Likewise some universities in Taiwan are still known as "Normal Universities" even though that term is no longer in use in most English-speaking countries.

Sweden has so much Engrish... I laughed to my sambo about "Swedbank" when I came here out of pure principle, just to try to portray to him how ridiculous it is that a Swedish bank would be called Swedbank... American banks aren't called Meiguobank (Meiguo being Chinese for America)... it should be Sveabank or something like that. It's hilarious.
+
post 27.Oct.2009, 10:16 PM
Post #3

except in this case it's rather sad. sweden has a few "english" names that come from latin so that "technically" the proper english names for skåne and darlana are scania and darlecarlia.

the forum is monitored by someone who neither knows swedish nor knows much about sweden and has an aspiration of keeping everything in english, including feeling that if a poster's english in a post isn't "up to snuff" should get deleted for poor english.

so seeing scania as a swedish region on the forum is ridiculous, especially since the news section wouldn't unless they were reporting on scania the truck making company.
+
Eel
post 28.Oct.2009, 09:21 AM
Post #4

How many English-speaking people use "Bayern" instead of "Bavaria"?
+
post 28.Oct.2009, 09:28 AM
Post #5

in sweden? in germany? don't know and don't care since i don't live there.

english speakers say gothenburg and not göteborg. there's no consistency, just on location "norms"
+
Puffin
post 28.Oct.2009, 09:38 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Eel @ 28.Oct.2009, 09:21 AM) *
How many English-speaking people use "Bayern" instead of "Bavaria"?

Only when talking about football I guess biggrin.gif
+
Eel
post 28.Oct.2009, 12:21 PM
Post #7

But the English name för Skåne IS Scania! Complaining over people using the English name when speaking English is a bit rich considering most Swedes say Köpenhamn, Rom and Prag even though they know perfectly well what the original names are.
+
wetback
post 28.Oct.2009, 01:25 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (7 @ 27.Oct.2009, 08:59 PM) *
anyone living in sweden knowing anything about sweden would refer to the southern region of sweden as scania.

huh?
+
post 28.Oct.2009, 04:07 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (wetback @ 28.Oct.2009, 01:25 PM) *
QUOTE (007 @ 27.Oct.2009, 08:59 PM) *
. anyone living in sweden knowing anything about sweden would refer to the southern region of sweden as scania.
huh?

oops, sorry. should say that "would not refer...as scania"

QUOTE (Eel @ 28.Oct.2009, 12:21 PM) *
But the English name för Skåne IS Scania!

in a dictionary yes. when living in sweden and writing about sweden as someone not using google translate, no.

TL news, the region of skåne and everyone else writing about the region write skåne and not scania. skåne always refers to the region of skåne (and darlarna not darlecarlia--also the english name) and scania always refers to the truck manufacturer.

QUOTE (Eel @ 28.Oct.2009, 12:21 PM) *
Complaining over people using the English name when speaking English is a bit rich
it's not a complaint. it's a criticism.

antiquated norms which aren't current or in use in sweden are silly. especially when the news section of the site uses the current, accepted norm, skåne.
+
Puffin
post 28.Oct.2009, 04:52 PM
Post #10

Scania is very rarely used in reality -even by English speakers - The same with Darlecarlia and Dalarna

The usage sounds very old fashioned
+
ericinlincs
post 9.Jan.2010, 12:56 PM
Post #11

as an English man who visits Sweden several times a year I find it easier to say Skåne than to say Scania, also find it confusing with the pronunciation of Kristianstad
+
Nemesis
post 9.Jan.2010, 01:17 PM
Post #12

I live in central Skåne for a couple of years now.

I have never encountered anyone who refers to Skåne by the company name Scania.

Anyone who believes it is aceptable to call Skåne by the name Scania, I would suggest going to any bar in Skåne and tell them it is called Scania. You can give a report on Swedish hospitals after you do so.

It is Skåne.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: