The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Secondhand Smoke is "toxic air contaminant"

FR
post 27.Jan.2006, 04:09 PM
Post #1

California regulators became the first in the nation Thursday to designate secondhand tobacco smoke as a "toxic air contaminant,'' a move that could lead to new city and state laws and educational campaigns directed at smoking parents.

Full article at: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...01/27/SMOKE.TMP

So the sixth largest economy has decided to put secondhand smoke in the same category as poisons such as benzine. Sanctions against smoking parents for exposing their children to said poison will be an interesting issue too.
Go to the top of the page
+
*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 27.Jan.2006, 04:10 PM
Post #2

Smart move.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 27.Jan.2006, 04:10 PM
Post #3

It'll be a fair move when they start making moves to cut car emissions too. I'm willing to bet there are more drivers than smokers in California.
+
*Littlefair*
post 27.Jan.2006, 04:13 PM
Post #4

Oh sod off in a country that shuns Kayoto they want to whine about smokers I think they should get real.
+
FR
post 27.Jan.2006, 04:16 PM
Post #5

Well, this is in California, not Washington DC. Good point though... and not the only time the US government has had obvious internal conflict over its mores.
+
FR
post 27.Jan.2006, 04:17 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
It'll be a fair move when they start making moves to cut car emissions too. I'm willing to bet there are more drivers than smokers in California.

California has very tough restrictions on car emissions. Many cars from other states do not qualify in California.
+
*Kodos*
post 27.Jan.2006, 04:20 PM
Post #7

Day 2 of not smoking for the cigarette loving Kang.

One less person to pollute California. As if I would ever go there, anyhow.
+
FR
post 27.Jan.2006, 04:21 PM
Post #8

Congratulations! Btw, the problem in cigarettes is not the tobacco, but the chemical additives. Tobacco alone likely would not have such a horrid designation.
+
*Littlefair*
post 27.Jan.2006, 04:22 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Kang)
Day 2 of not smoking for the cigarette loving Kang.

One less person to pollute California. As if I would ever go there, anyhow.

well done Kang I hope you make it dont turn into a I used to smoke now I dont blah blah blah sort though.
+
*Kodos*
post 27.Jan.2006, 04:39 PM
Post #10

I am determined not to turn into a self-righteous former smoker. Smokers should still be permitted to smoke in designated areas. I had no problems with that as a smoker and I don't anticipate having problems now.

I have two feet that work...I can get up and walk away if it annoys me.
+
*Kodos*
post 27.Jan.2006, 04:40 PM
Post #11

Thanks for the support guys! I need all that I can get.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 27.Jan.2006, 04:42 PM
Post #12

Well I'm not wishing you good luck, you bloody quitter!!

No seriously all the best with it. I only smoke in pubs now so am assuming it'll be dead easy to give up when I get to Sweden. erm.
+
*Kodos*
post 27.Jan.2006, 04:53 PM
Post #13

laugh.gif

Believe me...it's not by choice.

I'll go ahead and add some fuel to the fire...I have had an upper respiratory infection for over three weeks, now. I have to have a CT scan on my chest, neck and head and I'm being tested for asthma. I get to take tons of medicine and puff an inhaler twice a day.

For as much as I love smoking, I'm now a walking, talking example of why one shouldn't do it. Just like every other story out there...

To quote the great Keith Olbermann:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8514671/#050808b

"Break the pipe or throw away the chaw, or flush the butts, or leave the cigar in the cigar store. Buy the gum, buy the patch, get them to tie your arms behind your back until you stop smoking. Do whatever you have to do to stop smoking ? now. While it's easier.

So you don't have to stop smoking while you have cancer. Or while you're sitting there, spitting into a garbage can, praying that you don't."
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 27.Jan.2006, 05:01 PM
Post #14

sad.gif that's rubbish Kang, sorry to hear that. Wish you all the best then and hope that once the lungs clear out a bit you'll feel a lot better.
+
*Kodos*
post 27.Jan.2006, 05:08 PM
Post #15

Thanks!!!!

There's nothing worse than having to give up one's only vice.
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: