The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Should the US bring ALL the troops home?

*Proud2busmarine*
post 25.Feb.2006, 11:58 AM
Post #1

Got a question for everybody, and I hope this doesn't turn into another pissing contest.

Let's say the US government decided to pull all the troops home. Not only those in combat, but those stationed all around the world. Everybody in Korea, Japan, Germany, Britain, Italy, etc., etc. The US pulls everybody home, concentrates on securing our borders, and says have at it, world. To the UN, we'll even increase our money to the "peace-keeping" efforts from it's current one-third of the total budget to one-half.
I know nobody has a crystal ball, and this is pure speculation, but is there anyone out there who actually thinks the world would be a better place in 5, 10 or 20 years?
Go to the top of the page
+
Rinkydink
post 25.Feb.2006, 12:24 PM
Post #2

Do you believe for a second that the US are giving their "help" to make the world a better place?

The moon is made of cheese also...
+
*Proud2busmarine*
post 25.Feb.2006, 12:37 PM
Post #3

:?: :?: :?:
+
Rinkydink
post 25.Feb.2006, 12:40 PM
Post #4

"I know nobody has a crystal ball, and this is pure speculation, but is there anyone out there who actually thinks the world would be a better place in 5, 10 or 20 years?"

What didn't you understand???

I merely pointed out that the US are not exactly trying to make the world a better place.
+
Rinkydink
post 25.Feb.2006, 12:45 PM
Post #5

To make it a bit clearer for you - yes take all the troops home and leave everyone on their own free will to "make the world a better place".
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 25.Feb.2006, 12:46 PM
Post #6

I would love to run a simulation of such an event. Personally - I think it would be hilarious...in a bus load of nuns and lepers having a wreck with a tequila truck kind of way.

You will always have "people" like Tippytoppy and others that will say that the US causes more problems than they fix...and will always try to turn discussions into pissing contests. :roll:
+
Rinkydink
post 25.Feb.2006, 12:49 PM
Post #7

@Jason

I am not anti-american so please behave. I am not very much into politics either, but Iraq is a lot better now I think.
+
*marshman*
post 25.Feb.2006, 12:59 PM
Post #8

What a good idea,but it would never happen,as half the US economy is based on their arms programs and surely you do not expect them to test these on their own people :shock: We in Europa could very well do without US troops and interference but I have to believe(begrudgingly)that they are needed in Korea and other parts of South East Asia.As regards Iraq,I would like ALL troops pulled out NOW,they are not wanted by the Iraqs and you cant help those who do not want to be helped.To any one who believes that they,the US got us out of trouble in WW2,well,the fact remains that if not for Churchill they would NEVER have been involved,it was,in truth,the Allied and Commonwealth forces that got them out of goal against Japan by taking the brunt of fighting all through the Burma region and the only way the Yanks could end it was with Atom bombs.
+
*Proud2busmarine*
post 25.Feb.2006, 01:06 PM
Post #9

Nothing like rewriting history, huh? I for one believe that good old Europa liked having the troops there when the USSR was breathing down their necks.
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 25.Feb.2006, 01:07 PM
Post #10

Marshman - you truly show where your head is currently located - in a marsh somewhere.

Do you REALLY think that Germany wants the US bases out of Germany? Oh there are some greens that want it...but they bring money and jobs to the area. Same thing in many other places. Plus there is the bonus of "protection" - we dont need a big army, we have te US here if we need them.

Regarding Iraqis - yeah, the terrorist jihadies dont want them there...but wait...they really do...because it just ads to their "cause." The majority dont WANT an occuping force, but they know its needed right now.

And I do have to add one LITTLE correction:
...and the only way the Yanks could end it[WW2 - Pacific front] was with Atom bombs.
is so complete shite, I dont know where to begin. Sit your obviously know NOTHING about military strategy self down and do some reading before you spout your mouth off about something you know nothing about. :evil:
+
Alice Is Back
post 25.Feb.2006, 01:16 PM
Post #11

Proud2busmarine I will give you a straight answer to this. One of Rumsfeld's proposals was to move troops into Eastern Europe from Germany. And almost all the Germans went into a tizzy becasue if they closed bases here in Germany then all those Germans who work on the base would loose their jobs and the local economies would collapse. So maybe 1% of Germans want the Yanks to leave and everyone else wants them to stay.
+
Rinkydink
post 25.Feb.2006, 01:23 PM
Post #12

@AIB

What newspaper was this in? Have you a link, as there was nothing on German TV?
+
Alice Is Back
post 25.Feb.2006, 01:45 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Tippytoppy)
@AIB

What newspaper was this in? Have you a link, as there was nothing on German TV?

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,1300783,00.html

"But, nevertheless, the withdrawal of troops is a loss, of course. We regret it; the American soldiers were welcome here. But it is a sign of success at the same time -- the success of having overcome the Cold War and European division," Voigt told reporters.

btw voigt is a social democrat
+
Roy E
post 25.Feb.2006, 01:55 PM
Post #14

I'm like to see the US pull troops out of Western Europe - Germany in particular.
Europe has been getting a free ride on defense far too long. Enough is enough.
+
Alice Is Back
post 25.Feb.2006, 02:08 PM
Post #15

no roy becasue germany is the best basis of the u.s. military for activities in the middle east and in eurasia. Sure bases can be placed in bulgaria and romania but the expertise and infrastructure is the better in Germany. It is no accident that the u.s. military hospital is in ramstein and most wonded soldiers from iraq are sent there first. Finally roy have you forgotten the contribution of german soldiers in afghanistan? Germany has been hevily involved here!! Even bush thanked schröder for this.
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: