The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Should the US bring ALL the troops home?

*marshman*
post 25.Feb.2006, 03:12 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Proud2busmarine)
Nothing like rewriting history, huh? I for one believe that good old Europa liked having the troops there when the USSR was breathing down their necks.

The reason for US troops in Europa during the cold war had nothing to do with protecting Europa,more that the US was threatened due to the shortest route from Moscow to N.York.ie over the north pole,just remember it's only a short walking distance between Russia and Alaska,relitively speaking.The Americans have never helped anyone without theres something in it for them.
Go to the top of the page
+
Roy E
post 25.Feb.2006, 03:52 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (marshman)
The reason for US troops in Europa during the cold war had nothing to do with protecting Europa,more that the US was threatened due to the shortest route from Moscow to N.York.ie over the north pole,just remember it's only a short walking distance between Russia and Alaska,relitively speaking.The Americans have never helped anyone without theres something in it for them.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Wow. we need to sign you up for remedial history lessons immediately to keep you from embarassing yourself any further!

How about if we start with the Fulda Gap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulda_Gap
+
*Gully Gull*
post 25.Feb.2006, 05:49 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Proud2busmarine)
Nothing like rewriting history, huh? I for one believe that good old Europa liked having the troops there when the USSR was breathing down their necks.

Breathing down their necks? The USSR could/would never have invaded Western Europe. They had enough trouble keeping the likes of Hungary, Poland and Czechoslavakia in line, not to mention other less stable areas of the Soviet empire. Look at the headache that just going into Afghanistan gave them.
+
Alice Is Back
post 25.Feb.2006, 06:05 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Gully Gull)
Breathing down their necks? The USSR could/would never have invaded Western Europe. They had enough trouble keeping the likes of Hungary, Poland and Czechoslavakia in line, not to mention other less stable areas of the Soviet empire. Look at the headache that just going into Afghanistan gave them.

what are you talking about?? of course they were a threat and it should be pointed out the west germans were first allowed in 1955 to have an army. Who was to defend west germany then uk and france? All German gov't were and are heavily supportive of American soldiers on German soil. Also the communists were able to take south vietnam and almost south korea through an invasion. I think you have seriously misjudjed history here.
+
*Proud2busmarine*
post 25.Feb.2006, 06:33 PM
Post #20

Damn. All I was really looking for was a "No, the I think the world would go to hell in a handbasket", or "Yes, I think the world can live in peace if only the US would stop with their imperialistic ways". I'm of the former opinion, personally.
+
*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 25.Feb.2006, 06:35 PM
Post #21

It's realism vs idealism.
+
*Kodos*
post 25.Feb.2006, 06:46 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (marshman)
What a good idea,but it would never happen,as half the US economy is based on their arms programs and surely you do not expect them to test these on their own people :shock: We in Europa could very well do without US troops and interference but I have to believe(begrudgingly)that they are needed in Korea and other parts of South East Asia.As regards Iraq,I would like ALL troops pulled out NOW,they are not wanted by the Iraqs and you cant help those who do not want to be helped.To any one who believes that they,the US got us out of trouble in WW2,well,the fact remains that if not for Churchill they would NEVER have been involved,it was,in truth,the Allied and Commonwealth forces that got them out of goal against Japan by taking the brunt of fighting all through the Burma region and the only way the Yanks could end it was with Atom bombs.

Bullshit.

Pearl Harbor.

Unless Churchill was covertly working with the Japense...your supposition is a steaming pile of poopy.
+
*Kodos*
post 25.Feb.2006, 06:49 PM
Post #23

Oh...and if you're thinking of some slick response about the Yanks involvement in the European Theatre...

Germany declared war on the United States.

Maybe you should drop your Revisionist History class at Blockhead University. I hear there are still seats available for the Rocks for Jocks program...
+
*Kodos*
post 25.Feb.2006, 06:55 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (marshman)
The reason for US troops in Europa during the cold war had nothing to do with protecting Europa,more that the US was threatened due to the shortest route from Moscow to N.York.ie over the north pole,just remember it's only a short walking distance between Russia and Alaska,relitively speaking.

*hands Marshman a compass and a map*

Maybe you should try. The Swedes just love Orienteering.

QUOTE (marshman)
The Americans have never helped anyone without theres something in it for them.

*throws Marshman a binky*

As the saying goes...if you can't satisfy 'em, pacify 'em.
+
*marshman*
post 25.Feb.2006, 07:08 PM
Post #25

The US was warned by British intelligence that the Japanese were going to attack Pearl harbour,but they would not listen,British war ships steamed out of Pearl 24hours before the attack.When war was declared between the Us and Japan,Churhill declared war on Japan as ally to the US,at this time the US was not engaged in the war in Europa but this act by Churchill forced their hand,it was hard for the US as Churchill had dual US and British nationality,but again I state that the US have NEVER helped ANYONE with out wanting twice as much in return,the only country they could'nt control was Russia,at the end of the war when the US held its hand out for payment,the Russians had the sense and the balls to tell them to get stuffed,"you supplied materials and we supplied the man power"was Stalins reply to them.
There is also the fact that had the US not been so pigheaded and not insisted that the allies stopped at the Rhein,to let the Soviet troops move in to Berlin the cold war would not have been created in the first place.When is comes to the US the truth is,with friends like them,who needs enemies.To finish,I can at least discuss this without lowering myself to cheap personal comments,which by the way only shows the ignorence of the writer.
+
Dock Hussein Ellis
post 25.Feb.2006, 07:11 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (marshman)
,it was,in truth,the Allied and Commonwealth forces that got them out of goal against Japan by taking the brunt of fighting all through the Burma region and the only way the Yanks could end it was with Atom bombs.

I wasn't going to jump into this mess (I think it's being handled pretty well already), but as an armchair historian, I couldn't let this one pass. Yes, the Brits fought a hard campaign in Burma(aided by US troops- see Merrill's Marauders for details), but you may want to google the following names for an idea of the US contribution to the Pacific war-

Midway
Guadalcanal
Tarawa
Iwo Jima
Okinawa
The Phillipines

The US was fully capable of capturing the Japanese home islands by force, thanks. We dropped the Bomb so we didn't have to incur US casualties. I and my grandfathers are eternally grateful to Harry S. Truman for that decision.
+
Dock Hussein Ellis
post 25.Feb.2006, 07:25 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (marshman)
,at this time the US was not engaged in the war in Europa but this act by Churchill forced their hand

If you're gonna keep smoking that shit, at least pass it around. Germany declared war on the US. Read a book now and then, it's good for you.

QUOTE (marshman)
,it was hard for the US as Churchill had dual US and British nationality,

Not awarded until 1963, try again.

QUOTE (marshman)
but again I state that the US have NEVER helped ANYONE with out wanting twice as much in return,

An opinion you're welcome to, but in no way a fact. Care to back up your statement with some actual info, ace?

QUOTE (marshman)
the only country they could'nt control was Russia,at the end of the war when the US held its hand out for payment,the Russians had the sense and the balls to tell them to get stuffed,"you supplied materials and we supplied the man power"was Stalins reply to them.

So an insane despot turned on his benefactor. Point?

QUOTE (marshman)
There is also the fact that had the US not been so pigheaded and not insisted that the allies stopped at the Rhein,to let the Soviet troops move in to Berlin the cold war would not have been created in the first place.

??? USSR did not already control huge swaths of eastern europe?

QUOTE (marshman)
When is comes to the US the truth is,with friends like them,who needs enemies.

What country do you live in? Chances are, without the US in the cold war, you would be speaking Russian.
+
*Kodos*
post 25.Feb.2006, 07:25 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (marshman)
The US was warned by British intelligence that the Japanese were going to attack Pearl harbour,but they would not listen,British war ships steamed out of Pearl 24hours before the attack.When war was declared between the Us and Japan,Churhill declared war on Japan as ally to the US,at this time the US was not engaged in the war in Europa but this act by Churchill forced their hand,it was hard for the US as Churchill had dual US and British nationality,but again I state that the US have NEVER helped ANYONE with out wanting twice as much in return,the only country they could'nt control was Russia,at the end of the war when the US held its hand out for payment,the Russians had the sense and the balls to tell them to get stuffed,"you supplied materials and we supplied the man power"was Stalins reply to them.
There is also the fact that had the US not been so pigheaded and not insisted that the allies stopped at the Rhein,to let the Soviet troops move in to Berlin the cold war would not have been created in the first place.When is comes to the US the truth is,with friends like them,who needs enemies.To finish,I can at least discuss this without lowering myself to cheap personal comments,which by the way only shows the ignorence of the writer.

I wouldn't so much call it "ignorant." I think "arrogant" is more appropriate.

Ignorance means that you are devoid of knowledge. Which...I am not, as I have taken the time to prove that you are, indeed, incorrect.
+
Dock Hussein Ellis
post 25.Feb.2006, 07:31 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Gully Gull)

Try reading a little about Stalin. Specifically, how he tried to force a confrontation with the west, hoping to start a 3rd world war just before he died. Nothing stamps out internal dissent like fighting a war for national survival.
+
*marshman*
post 25.Feb.2006, 08:12 PM
Post #30

Dock Ellis

Churchill was half American by birth,this is a fact.
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: