The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

The perverse anti-Westernism of the cultural elite

Roy E
post 26.Feb.2006, 02:41 PM
Post #1

For fans of Western Civilization, here's a good read from Australia:
A little long yes, but definitely worth it.

The Adversary Culture
The perverse anti-Westernism of the cultural elite

(--snip--)
The Western concept of freedom of speech is not an absolute. The limits that should be imposed by good taste, social responsibility and respect for others will always be a matter for debate. But this is a debate that needs to be conducted within Western culture, not imposed on it from outside by threats of death and violence by those who want to put an end to all free debate.

The concepts of free enquiry and free expression and the right to criticise entrenched beliefs are things we take so much for granted they are almost part of the air we breathe. We need to recognise them as distinctly Western phenomena. They were never produced by Confucian or Hindu culture. Under Islam, the idea of objective inquiry had a brief life in the fourteenth century but was never heard of again. In the twentieth century, the first thing that every single communist government in the world did was suppress it.
(--snip--)

http://www.sydneyline.com/Adversary%20Culture.htm
Go to the top of the page
+
*Meglos*
post 26.Feb.2006, 11:23 PM
Post #2

RoyE, I think you'd like Roger Scruton if you haven't read his stuff already.
+
Bruce B
post 28.Feb.2006, 07:57 PM
Post #3

Have you read this Roy,

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,...2058502,00.html
+
*Kodos*
post 28.Feb.2006, 08:16 PM
Post #4

Roy...

This may be a little tangential...but do you agree with tenure for professors? I do not exactly support what Ward Churchill said...but I think he was treated very poorly by the U of Colorado.

In the same vein...do you agree with ABC's decision to can Bill Maher after 09.11?

One of the by-products of 09.11 was the silencing of every dissenting opinion in the West. College kids, young adults and the other "categories" prone to rebellion became torch bearers for authority. Instead of questioning the government (regardless of which party has control, mind you) people blindly supported it.

How do you feel about it?

/Marnie
+
Bruce B
post 28.Feb.2006, 09:33 PM
Post #5

Roy, I assume you have been tuned in enough to hear the multitude of dissenting opinions that have been expressed freely and often.
+
*Meglos*
post 1.Mar.2006, 03:28 AM
Post #6

Oh. He's buggered off.
+
*Kodos*
post 1.Mar.2006, 04:54 AM
Post #7

How did we bugger off Roy? :?
+
Roy E
post 6.Mar.2006, 01:20 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Kang)
Roy...

1) This may be a little tangential...but do you agree with tenure for professors?
2) In the same vein...do you agree with ABC's decision to can Bill Maher after 09.11?

3) One of the by-products of 09.11 was the silencing of every dissenting opinion in the West... How do you feel about it?

1) Tenure - I'm against it.
2) Bill Maher - commerical decision, so it's their call. Bill Maher kept taiking as a guest on many talk shows after that - he wasn't silenced.
3) Huh? What silencing? I've seen opinions challeged by other opinions, but I've never witnessed 'silencing'. people have been permitted to say the most outrageous things. Case in point: Michael Moore, Cindy Sheehan, Phil Donahue, Mike Farrell, Al Franken, maureen Dowd... If anything it's gotten shriller and more offensive to mainstream folks, yet it's allowed to continue.

edit - fixed http tags.
+
*Kodos*
post 6.Mar.2006, 01:25 AM
Post #9

Oh Roy...

99% of the time, while not agreeing, I can respect your POVs. Your being against tenure, however, breaks my wittle heawt though.

May I ask why? Do you really feel that Churchill deserved to be castrated by the U of C? You know...I had a lot of wind-bag professors when I was in school, as I was a Liberal Arts junkie. I may have disagreed with them...but they did get me to think.

*shakes head*

/Marnie
+
Roy E
post 6.Mar.2006, 01:56 AM
Post #10

I'm against tenure because I am for meritocracy and accountability. I do not beleive in privileged classses.

I don't beleive Ward Churchill was castrated. First, I think he was a eunuch to begin with and second, that's not an acceptible form of punishment (in the West) .

Yes, I do think it was right to lose his job - (even ignoring his falsified credentials).

Ward Churchill did not advocate balanced debate. He's an activist - not an educator. He attempted to justify attacking ciivlians as righteous and painted the victims as the guilty party. That crosses a vey clear line. There are basic boundaries that one must operate within and still be considered civilized. Churchill crossed over into barbarism.
+
*Kodos*
post 6.Mar.2006, 02:07 AM
Post #11

Roy...

Are you equating Liberals with barbarism, now? Is that not oxymoronic?

/Marnie
+
Roy E
post 6.Mar.2006, 02:13 AM
Post #12

I considered Churchill more of anarchist than liberal. I thought liberals might disown him the same way the right disowns David Duke or at least the GOP jetissoned Pat Buchanan.
+
*Kodos*
post 6.Mar.2006, 02:18 AM
Post #13

I actually like some of Pat Buchanan's ramblings. ohmy.gif He's no dummy.
+
Roy E
post 6.Mar.2006, 02:21 AM
Post #14

He's into the libertarian zone - where right and left merge and anything can happen. laugh.gif
+
Roy E
post 6.Mar.2006, 02:43 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Bruce cool.gif
Roy, I assume you have been tuned in enough to hear the multitude of dissenting opinions that have been expressed freely and often.

Yes, I've heard them. I keep up with it at http://www.brusselsjournal.com/ and http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/ and others...

Unfortunately, the anti-multi-culti arguments are slow to gain any currency in the places where they most matter. It's a grassroots sentiment working it's way up the 'org chart'. Established and cocooned mindsets die hard - at least in public. The backroom discussions are probably quite another matter -- As victor davis hanson wrote about a couple weeks ago: http://www.victorhanson.com/articles/hanson021906.html
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: