The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

The War At Home???

*Kodos*
post 4.Mar.2006, 01:57 AM
Post #1

This happened on UNC's campus today. Simply horrible.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11660817/

The bomb squad has evacuated the apartment building where the suspect lived. Apparently, there is something very suspicious there.

http://www.wral.com/news/7651436/detail.html

The news is developing and changing rapidly. If what was reported by MSNBC holds true, then I should like to send my most heart-felt thanks to George Bush and his regime for bringing this to an otherwise peaceful campus.
Go to the top of the page
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 4.Mar.2006, 07:55 AM
Post #2

I don't get it.

Seems like everyone is crazy now.
+
*Nico aka the boy wonder*
post 4.Mar.2006, 12:44 PM
Post #3

[irony]Good to see that the War on terror is working for the neo cons..[/irony]
+
Benzed
post 6.Mar.2006, 12:15 AM
Post #4

Look, not to invite the nutty troll in here, but these type of stories really don´t surprise me one bit when they come out of the U.S.

TACTFUL FACT NOT SNARKY REMARKY.
+
*Carol*
post 6.Mar.2006, 12:35 AM
Post #5

Yeah, but Benzed, is it the water here in America? I mean, this guy was a former exchange student, I think.
+
Roy E
post 6.Mar.2006, 12:43 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Kang)
The news is developing and changing rapidly. If what was reported by MSNBC holds true, then I should like to send my most heart-felt thanks to George Bush and his regime for bringing this to an otherwise peaceful campus.

Sorry Kang, but this is one of the loopiest statements I've heard in a while. I'm afraid that there is nothing ANY politician or cartoonist ANYWHERE can do that can justify a nutcase attempting run down college students with a car.

George Bush's fault! :roll:

C'mon Kang. you're smarter than that. You're letting BDS get the better of you (Bush Derangement Syndrome - yes, it has an official name). It's the Irainian whack-job's fault - 100%.

Police intend to charge Taheri-azar, who graduated from UNC in December with a dual degree in psychology and philosophy

Makes me wonder about UNC. A psychology/philosophy grad? Just what are they teaching there, anyways?
+
*Toronto 1*
post 6.Mar.2006, 12:46 AM
Post #7

How awful!! I hope everybody is okay and they are alright. Kinda hitting home too closely these days.
I am very sure the police and the judge will treat him like any other criminal.
This young man may spend the rest of his life in jail if convicted of this.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 6.Mar.2006, 12:53 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Benzed)
Look, not to invite the nutty troll in here, but these type of stories really don´t surprise me one bit when they come out of the U.S.

Don't worry Benzed, I'll protect you from the trolls. You go right ahead and say whatever you like about the U.S.

But seriously, I agree. Right now the U.S. is a place that is fostering extremism, I think. It seems like the current black and white, my-side or your-side mentality leaves very little middle ground for trying to understand where someone else is coming from. It's going to be interesting to see the next few years as the Bush administration loses popularity.

Does anyone know how the Patriot Act renewal faired in the House of Representatives, btw? I heard that the Senate had voted 89-10 for, but that it still had to go to the house? (I could google, but I'm lazy right now.)
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 6.Mar.2006, 12:59 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (RoyE)
It's the Irainian whack-job's fault - 100%.

Yes... he shouldn't have done it.

But there does seem to be an awful lot of crazy like that going around. And at some point America needs to quit saying "they are crazy, that's the explanation" and start trying to understand what is causing it. It's not a matter of just pointing fingers and saying "up the dosage." That's hiding from the problem. Sure, crazy people do crazy things. But so do hopeless people who feel as though they have nothing to lose and no other way of speaking out and being heard...
+
*Kodos*
post 6.Mar.2006, 01:00 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Benzed)

You know Benzed...this happened about 10 minutes from my office. I am not disputing any facts reported by either outlet.

Makes you take a closer look when the shit lands your backyard.
+
*Kodos*
post 6.Mar.2006, 01:10 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (RoyE)
Sorry Kang, but this is one of the loopiest statements I've heard in a while. I'm afraid that there is nothing ANY politician or cartoonist ANYWHERE can do that can justify a nutcase attempting run down college students with a car.

George Bush's fault! :roll:

C'mon Kang. you're smarter than that. You're letting BDS get the better of you (Bush Derangement Syndrome - yes, it has an official name). It's the Irainian whack-job's fault - 100%.

Police intend to charge Taheri-azar, who graduated from UNC in December with a dual degree in psychology and philosophy

Makes me wonder about UNC. A psychology/philosophy grad? Just what are they teaching there, anyways?

Not to be an apologist (because what he did was inexcusable), but can't you see that the Bush Administration's policy is what set him off? 4.5 years ago, we were at war with Bin Laden. 3 years ago, Bush started an undeclared war on the Arab world.

It is no secret, that Bush had designs on this very form of foreign policy from the onset of his
presidency. It was defined, clarified and printed in Path to War by Bob Woodward. Which, in the event you have forgotten, was suggested reading by The Republican Party during the '04 elections.

So...taking a pot-shot a Bush? No. I'm not. I am simply pointing out that the chickens have come home to roost.

To sum up...no. I am not grasping at straws at all. Only a complete ideologue would fail to connect the dots here. And...if you're thinking of attacking my source...my source is the local news in Raleigh, NC. Raleigh. North Carolina. A Red State with Red State values.

Should be interesting to see how the Big, Giant Head justifies this one.
+
Roy E
post 6.Mar.2006, 01:23 AM
Post #12

Americans might need to take a look at what's wrong with the US Postal Service first.
+
*no one*
post 6.Mar.2006, 01:26 AM
Post #13

do you guys think this is terrorism?

i think it is a deranged individual, not anything more than the "frustration/aggression complex" we all recognize just after we screw something up and throw the coffee cup.

That is the closest thing i can surmise from my dad who taught at u.c. berkeley for about 7 years in the psych dept.

my take having gone to school at berkeley, american u in d.c. &, u.c irvine, often with middle east guys there, is that they often affect the "wild and crazy guy syndrome of cool" they often overcompensate and are easily frustated by the different culture here.

I managed an architectural firm in berkeley for a few years. my boss had his turn as the dean of the arch. dept at berkeley and needed someone to count the beans, hence me.
he is jewish. to keep it short we had an applicant that was not qualified in the least, a first year student. we turned him down. he threatened to kill me for his loss of honor. he tried to kidnap an australian woman who was working with us... he said it was the way of his people.

america does not get many other cultures ways and we keep mucking it up when we get involved.

the road to hell is paved with good intentions i guess. pretty sad

sorry for poor spelling, puctuation, grammar, thinking etc.
+
*Kodos*
post 6.Mar.2006, 01:28 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (RoyE)
Americans might need to take a look at what's wrong with the US Postal Service first.

Roy...

I'm calling bullshit on that. The Postal Service? That's your strongest argument? Come on...we all know you're much smarter than that. This guy may be loonier than bat shit but you cannot overlook the relevance of his actions.

Is this just another Big, Giant Head talking point? Do I have to call Fox News security on you?

/Marnie
+
Roy E
post 6.Mar.2006, 02:06 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Kang)
Roy...

I'm calling bullshit on that. The Postal Service? That's your strongest argument? Come on...we all know you're much smarter than that. This guy may be loonier than bat shit but you cannot overlook the relevance of his actions.

Is this just another Big, Giant Head talking point? Do I have to call Fox News security on you?

/Marnie

Sure it is. Look at the numbers. You're talking about cause and effect right? We have far more USPS employees kiillng their fellow workers than Iranian exchange students trying to exact revenge for cartoons at his point. Your article also said he wanted revenge for US treatment of Muslims:

The FBI joined the case because Taheri-azar, a native of Iran, "allegedly made statements that he acted to avenge the American treatment of Muslims. The ongoing investigation will work to confirm this," said Special Agent Richard Kolko, an FBI spokesman in Washington.

Which Muslims? the little girls now filling School rooms in Afganistan or the ones voting in Iraq? Or those who have been denied their right to suicide bomb?
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: