The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

The War At Home???

*Kodos*
post 6.Mar.2006, 02:09 AM
Post #16

Roy...

Put down the kool-aid! Put down the kool-aid and back slowly, away from the punch bowl. :wink:

/Marnie
Go to the top of the page
+
Roy E
post 6.Mar.2006, 02:15 AM
Post #17

You're Soooo busted! Kool-aid! You've been watching Bill O'Reilly! laugh.gif
+
*Kodos*
post 6.Mar.2006, 02:17 AM
Post #18

Watching Bill. Actually...some parts. I found the part where he threatened a caller with Fox News Security when the caller mentioned the name, "Keith Olbermann." Yeah...I watch Bill...when he steps on his own dick. :wink:
+
Benzed
post 6.Mar.2006, 02:49 AM
Post #19

Yah. I can understand how it would be more affecting to happen so close to you.

Believe me, you may not see it now but I had a great affinity with NYC and with the U.S itself in 2001 because I was THERE when it all kicked off. I saw the reactions, the fear, the complete confusion. I spoke to people who were directly affected, and I don´t wish this kind of scenario on anyone.

But it´s a fact that America has always had far more than its fair share of loonies, sickos and frankly dangerous psychopaths.

And outside of the political sphere, boy - it really gets nasty then! :wink:

Serious post except for that line :?
+
*Kodos*
post 6.Mar.2006, 03:08 AM
Post #20

Yes...sickos and psychopaths. And people seeking martyrdom for their -isms.
+
*no one*
post 6.Mar.2006, 03:13 AM
Post #21

i do not know how far off you are. my dad was a kennedy appointee in the '60's and he was a nut job trying to get balance within that admin. ala bay of pigs sht. he did not like war, he spent 3 years in the south pacific, nz mosttly when not at war. Benzed we might be...related. he was kind of...active.

and anyone who says the u.s. is not a "rubber room" does not understand what we have tried to do here. we actually want to get along. we just have no fkg idea how to do it.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 6.Mar.2006, 03:27 AM
Post #22

QUOTE (Benzed)
Yah. I can understand how it would be more affecting to happen so close to you.

Believe me, you may not see it now but I had a great affinity with NYC and with the U.S itself in 2001 because I was THERE when it all kicked off. I saw the reactions, the fear, the complete confusion. I spoke to people who were directly affected, and I don´t wish this kind of scenario on anyone.

But it´s a fact that America has always had far more than its fair share of loonies, sickos and frankly dangerous psychopaths.

And outside of the political sphere, boy - it really gets nasty then! :wink:

Serious post except for that line :?

You make some very good points. I think that violence for a cause is deplorable, and ultimately, doesn't help whatever the cause is. All it does is make the middle-of-the-road people who would have agreed with the purported reason back away from fear of being associated with violent extremism. Terrorism is always awful and senseless, whether it's a bomb in a nightclub in Bali or flying a plane into an American building.

You're also right about America and the psychos. Maybe it's the water, maybe it's the culture, maybe it's something else entirely. But, I do think that, right or wrong, we are going to see continuing violence perpetrated for the same reasons in the U.S. The U.S. also saw violence from militant fringe groups back in the 60s. Just claiming it's insanity is a cop-out on the social issues that contribute to the cause.
+
Benzed
post 6.Mar.2006, 03:27 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (Jim In San Francisco)
... he did not like war, he spent 3 years in the south pacific, nz mosttly when not at war. Benzed we might be...related. he was kind of...active.

Ah, so that´s where I get it from? :twisted:

And the severe ignorance, literally, of so many people in the country, let´s say broadly and sweepingly "down south in particular" means any attempt to get along better is always going to be akin to pushing sh!t uphill with a pool cue.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 6.Mar.2006, 03:34 AM
Post #24

QUOTE (Benzed)
And the severe ignorance, literally, of so many people in the country, let´s say broadly and sweepingly "down south in particular" means any attempt to get along better is always going to be akin to pushing sh!t uphill with a pool cue.

Yeah, but now there is Bush's "No Child Left Behind" mantra...
+
*no one*
post 6.Mar.2006, 03:38 AM
Post #25

i think no country really knows how to handle this stuff. having spent 5 weeks in nz i thought politics was univeraly useless. the nz first, the maori factions, etc.

man i am without a glue that will work, and, i have tried. stays slippery.

yep, sure it is where you get it from, must be genetic!
+
Benzed
post 6.Mar.2006, 04:10 AM
Post #26

The leader of NZ First is a friend of my dad and his mugshot billboards put up on my parents´ lawn!

Accordingly, the neighbourhood eggs go on the house soon afterwards. .. :?

Mel - this is some "better education" policy Dubbz is bringing in?
+
*no one*
post 6.Mar.2006, 04:28 AM
Post #27

i knew we were related. i rebel against my father every waking moment. nz first is far more right wing than i expected, but not loonies like here in the whatever it has become states.
+
Benzed
post 6.Mar.2006, 04:39 AM
Post #28

I don´t really consider them that freaky, I mean my dad´s a lot of things but he´s not a racist or overly prejudiced guy ... well. Haha. No.

All NZF want to do is keep the Japanese, American and Korean business interests from coming in and buying up our prime real estate and commercial interests. Funnily enough, that train of opposition thought is becoming increasingly popular at home, where such developments are all "new hat" to our fledgling nation.
+
*no one*
post 6.Mar.2006, 05:08 AM
Post #29

i think that while on the ferry, the almost barfing trip from picton to wellington, a maori elder tried to elevate me to understand the distance from what he wanted and needed to what he was going to find in the beehive.

i think, if anything i might add to my almost most favorite country, is that the nzf and the maori have a lot more in common than they know.

i might have said this before. when we were at the head of the que for leaving nz, we passed through the exit tax mans' stand. he asked for my passport, and, then for the $20nz.

i said i was not going to pay.

and, that nz was going to have to keep me.

the 747 400 passengers enjoyed that.
+
Benzed
post 6.Mar.2006, 03:15 PM
Post #30

Nice.

Winston Peters is of couse, Maori himself! laugh.gif
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: