The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

More Bush bashing :) no not really

*Nico aka the boy wonder*
post 6.Mar.2006, 10:41 AM
Post #1

threat against freedom of speach or the right thing to do if a teacher is "pushing his liberal agenda" on his students?

Teacher Probed Over Bush Remarks

AURORA, Colo., March 3, 2006

About 150 students at a suburban Denver high school walked out of class to protest a decision to put a teacher on administrative leave while the school investigates remarks he allegedly made in class about President Bush, including a comment that some people compare Mr. Bush to Adolf Hitler.

Complete article
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/03/...C-SearchStories
Go to the top of the page
+
Nicklouse
post 6.Mar.2006, 10:43 AM
Post #2

good one kids.
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 6.Mar.2006, 10:54 AM
Post #3

I love the article's closing quote from the teacher's lawyer:
"He's so upset and I am now his lawyer and we will be going to federal court."

Sorry, but it sounds like the guy's mum (US/CAN: mom).

Just replace "now his lawyer" and "federal court" with a couple of different words:
"He's so upset and I am his mommy and we will be going to McDonald's."

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
Dakyras
post 6.Mar.2006, 11:34 AM
Post #4

laugh.gif
+
Mike
post 6.Mar.2006, 11:42 AM
Post #5

I was a teacher in Texas about 8 years ago. I would've been fired for saying stuff like that. They have a strict curriculum, and if you don't follow it, you get canned.
+
Roy E
post 6.Mar.2006, 12:18 PM
Post #6

There a huge difference between activism and educating. Activists have no place in the classroom.

And the mark of a truly excellent teacher is one whose students really don't know how he voted in the last election.
+
Dakyras
post 6.Mar.2006, 12:20 PM
Post #7

Very true RoyE. A teachers job is to encourage students to challenge everything and formulate their own opinions based on having thought things through. Never should they seek to push their own ideals.
+
post 6.Mar.2006, 12:43 PM
Post #8

But the question is did he push his own ideals? or was it only a discussion about different views?
+
Dakyras
post 6.Mar.2006, 12:51 PM
Post #9

Who knows. I was referring to teaching in general as opposed to this specific case. I had a teacher who was so Labour she had a red tinge to her skin... She constantly pushed Labour policy at us and told us how wonderful it was... That was too far. The American teacher certainly had a right to have his opinions on Bush. Instead of vocalising them though (if he actually did) he could have just presented a history of GWB's reign and let the students come to their own conclusions. He could have also argued both sides... (difficult in GWB's case)
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 6.Mar.2006, 01:00 PM
Post #10

I had an anti-nuclear activist for a psychology professor in college in Montreal (this was in '82) . He didn't push his views, BUT he did say that for two of his sessions during the semester, he was going to talk about the arms race. He told us that we did not have to attend, and would not be penalised in any way.

Thinking about it now...Hhmmm...a very congenial and hip psychology professor, letting everyone know his view from the outset...offering a couple of optional "time off" periods. Could this be viewed as psychological manipulation of some sort?
I hadn't really thought of this before now. Interesting (to me, anyway - sod you lot).

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
*Kodos*
post 6.Mar.2006, 03:29 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (RoyE)
There a huge difference between activism and educating. Activists have no place in the classroom.

And the mark of a truly excellent teacher is one whose students really don't know how he voted in the last election.

Tenure hater! :wink:
+
*Kodos*
post 6.Mar.2006, 03:32 PM
Post #12

May we please have a moratorium on folks likening anyone to Hitler? This is becoming so tired. I think we should demand a new despot.
+
post 6.Mar.2006, 03:56 PM
Post #13

I just have to say somehing here.. The thing is that the teacher didn´t likening Bush to hitler, I think he said there are people likening Bush to hitler. seems like it was a discussion about world view on Bush and/or America and it seems like he was fired beacuse of brigning the discussion to class.
+
*Kodos*
post 6.Mar.2006, 03:59 PM
Post #14

Thanks for the clarification.

I do think we need another despot, though. Hitler is soooo yesterday. Perhaps we should all liken Bush to Stalin, Milosevic or (and this is out there) Sadaam.
+
post 7.Mar.2006, 11:26 AM
Post #15

Aha ok... Personally i dont think we need to compare Bush with any evil dictator.. His actions speaks for themself and he is his own category of nutts.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: