The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Human rights and the USA

*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 17.Mar.2006, 01:09 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Mike)
Right, because they're not already being watched :roll:

Well Bush & CO are a bunch of realists, they don't want to open anything up that could hurt them.
Go to the top of the page
+
*Nico aka the boy wonder*
post 17.Mar.2006, 01:10 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Mike)
Right, because they're not already being watched :roll:

So its a bad thing then? Or do you think that the U.S should be able to do whatever they want when ever thay want to whom ever they want without being watched?
+
Mike
post 17.Mar.2006, 01:20 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Nico)
So its a bad thing then? Or do you think that the U.S should be able to do whatever they want when ever thay want to whom ever they want without being watched?

The UN already watches the US closely and reports everything done wrong, so why the hell would they care?

Your reading comprehension really sucks, so let me put it in terms you can relate to. It's like if I threatened to post pictures of you having sex with sheep. You wouldn't care becuase there are already pictures of you sleeping with sheep everywhere. Get it?
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 17.Mar.2006, 01:23 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Mike)
It's like if I threatened to post pictures of you having sex with sheep. You wouldn't care becuase there are already pictures of you sleeping with sheep everywhere. Get it?

Yeah, and they're not very flattering pictures either, it must be said. That sheep's pulling the weirdest faces.

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
Mnemonic
post 17.Mar.2006, 01:31 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Mike)
The UN already watches the US closely and reports everything done wrong, so why the hell would they care?

Your reading comprehension really sucks, so let me put it in terms you can relate to. It's like if I threatened to post pictures of you having sex with sheep. You wouldn't care becuase there are already pictures of you sleeping with sheep everywhere. Get it?

You got one thing right about leftis being good at complaining but not able to much constructive if you talk about the same leftis as me.

I don't think its the being watched that is the problem.. now they can wave it away as complaining leftis.. But being a part of it would mean they can officially be pointed out and be forced to do something about it. And we all know the bush support is dropping fast in the states. To be internationally punished would not boost that support. The way it is now america got immunity and there is nothing UN can do more then watch and complain.
+
Mike
post 17.Mar.2006, 01:41 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (Mnemonic)
But being a part of it would mean they can officially be pointed out and be forced to do something about it. And we all know the bush support is dropping fast in the states. To be internationally punished would not boost that support. The way it is now america got immunity and there is nothing UN can do more then watch and complain.

The UN already has departments that do this. What good does it do to create another? Isn't it better to fix the existing organizations than to create another?

If America has immunity, it's because the UN is really all about the money, and they don't want to burn their biggest cash crop.
+
Mnemonic
post 17.Mar.2006, 01:55 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (Mike)
The UN already has departments that do this. What good does it do to create another? Isn't it better to fix the existing organizations than to create another?

If America has immunity, it's because the UN is really all about the money, and they don't want to burn their biggest cash crop.

well officially america got imunity because you suppose to have a good legal system that handle the issues yourself.
But I wouldn't be suprised if money is involved even if the states has refused to pay its members fees for a long time. But it might be because of your millitary power too that the UN is a little bias there.
But UN.. the US has complined about them for a long time. Wouldn't this be a good time to start on a clean paper? maybe its a new organisation that is needed to get out of the ways?
+
*Nico aka the boy wonder*
post 17.Mar.2006, 03:40 PM
Post #23

Bhaa! Human rights is for soft power loving European sissies...

Who needs UN human rights concils when we got this:

[img]http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,247710,00.jpg[/img]
laugh.gif
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 19.Mar.2006, 10:57 AM
Post #24

QUOTE (Mnemonic)
But why vote no? why not yes and try to be a part of its work and try making it better?

Mnemonic:

Let me enlighten you to a theory here, and this is one that I subscribe to...and that is dont make a wimpy law just for the sake of making a law to look good. Let me put forth an example item of legislation:

Manditory 30-day prison sentences for those convicted of aggrivated child molestation (i.e. using force).

Now...would you vote yes or no on this? Think about the implication. If you vote no - what are you saying? You dont want molesters off the streets? If you say yes, you are getting these people off the street for 30 days. That is a good thing right? But...you are also saying that you you are supporting lenient sentences for these monsters instead of them recieving the a more appropriate sentence of being roasted alive for 30 days before being flayed and fed to the jackals.

Then again, if someone was to put forth legislation to suggest punishments like the ones I propose, they would say they are crule and inhumane...but then...when you are dealing with rabid animals...you cant kiss and cuddle them to sleep...sometimes they need the hard goodbye.
+
*Littlefair*
post 19.Mar.2006, 11:47 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (Jason aka Troll Hunter)
Mnemonic:

Let me enlighten you to a theory here, and this is one that I subscribe to...and that is dont make a wimpy law just for the sake of making a law to look good. Let me put forth an example item of legislation:

Manditory 30-day prison sentences for those convicted of aggrivated child molestation (i.e. using force).

Now...would you vote yes or no on this? Think about the implication. If you vote no - what are you saying? You dont want molesters off the streets? If you say yes, you are getting these people off the street for 30 days. That is a good thing right? But...you are also saying that you you are supporting lenient sentences for these monsters instead of them recieving the a more appropriate sentence of being roasted alive for 30 days before being flayed and fed to the jackals.

Then again, if someone was to put forth legislation to suggest punishments like the ones I propose, they would say they are crule and inhumane...but then...when you are dealing with rabid animals...you cant kiss and cuddle them to sleep...sometimes they need the hard goodbye.

Mnemonic some humans dont deserve rights. Every now and then Human rights gets in the way of a good paedophile stoning to death. :twisted:
+
Mnemonic
post 19.Mar.2006, 04:16 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (Jason aka Bladerunner)
Mnemonic:

Well sometimes you need to choose between a ock and a hardplace and a no would be wose then a yes in suggestion so I would say yes and work for modification of the law. Better to have a bad law that shows it is wrong then no law that says its ok.
+
Mnemonic
post 19.Mar.2006, 04:22 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Littlefair aka Luggage)
Mnemonic some humans dont deserve rights. Every now and then Human rights gets in the way of a good paedophile stoning to death. :twisted:

I find it interesting that americans tell swedish people they are cheaps and follow there goverment blindly, yet americans give there goverment the full trust that they can deside if your worth human rights or even deside if you can live or die. I would never give my goverment that kind of power. Some humans are beyond help but they are few and usually due to an illness and thoose the american system can't touch anyway. So I belive having human rights do more good then harm.
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 19.Mar.2006, 07:08 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (Mnemonic)
Well sometimes you need to choose between a ock and a hardplace and a no would be wose then a yes in suggestion so I would say yes and work for modification of the law. Better to have a bad law that shows it is wrong then no law that says its ok.

Aye - you do have to do that from time to time...but there is no hard place here because there is already a Human Rights comission in the UN...so no implied "its ok" is there.
+
Alice Is Back
post 20.Mar.2006, 04:50 AM
Post #29

QUOTE (Alfredo)
It is never balanced. Show me a 'left-winger' who writes something in praise of some of the positive attributes Bawer considers to be 'great American values',

ME :twisted: :twisted:
+
Alice Is Back
post 20.Mar.2006, 05:10 AM
Post #30

QUOTE (Alfredo)
I don't think the US is against human rights.

It's time certain factions of European thinkers started thinking again, instead of trotting out the same old 'anti-American' thinking of yesteryear.

I thought this was an interesting view, from Bruce Bawer :

http://medienkritik.typepad.com/blog/2006/..._bawer_ins.html

What do you think ?

And now I can get really mean with this, I agree that Americans have, " individuality, imagination, initiative, inventiveness, independence of mind. " And the Germans could use a lot more initiative and inventiveness insted of complaining all day long. But this guy is way off the mark when he writes

"Instead I discovered that European social democracy, too, was a kind of fundamentalism, rigid and doctrinaire, yielding what Swedish writer Johan Norberg calls "one-idea states"?nations where an echo chamber of insular elites calls the shots, where monochrome media daily reiterate statist mantras and shut out contrarian views, and where teachers and professors systematically misrepresent the U.S."

which is totally incorrect. In Germany there is a wide variety of political views. For example there are around 10 daily papers in Berlin alone which range from very pro-American "die Welt" to the anti-American "Junge Welt."To think Germans are a set of humans with the same cookie-cutter political views is really wrong and shows how little he understands European culture. He just nees to watch German TV where the politicians scream at each other and have very different opinions about everything from foreign policy to unemployment insurance. And the Germans are very independent-minded people who at a moment's notice set up a demonstration. You should see the political activism at the universities to understood this. I heard there is in a year around 300 demonstrations in Berlin alone!! Maybe this guy should watch this:
http://www.sabine-christiansen.de/

then he can see that Germans too have opinions!!
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: