The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

Energy consumption in Sweden

Sweden in world top 10 for electricity use

Bsmith
post 10.Sep.2019, 12:12 PM
Post #16

When 98% percent of the world's climate scientists agree that human activity is to blame...I tend to believe that. Most likely what will happen is that this trend will continue until we kill off half of the human population, then things will settle down and we'll start the cycle all over again. Or perhaps we'll kill off all the humans and a million years from now, the new creature that inhabit the earth will find our bones and say, "Oooo! Look, a fossil".
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Sep.2019, 02:50 PM
Post #17

The predictions/reasons are not correct, the weather will be what it will be...

A short time ago there was a "little Ice Age" Europe was very cold all the grape vines died in the northern countries, that's why they mainly drink things that come from grains etc, now... Look it up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age laugh.gif

+
skogsbo
post 10.Sep.2019, 03:30 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 10.Sep.2019, 02:50 PM) *
The predictions/reasons are not correct, the weather will be what it will be...A short time ago there was a "little Ice Age" Europe was very cold all the grape vines ... (show full quote)

Yes. And much of that was attributed to reduced sunlight caused by volcanoes.

The Thames was recorded to have frozen but it's a bit of a play on words to call it an ice age. It was cold for a few years, but any impact on global glaciation was extremely limit.

The last true ice age was from 115,000 to 11,000 bc. Notice the difference in longevity. All of Canada, Scandinavia, most of the UK, half of Russia etc were covered in glaciers ranging from 1 to 3 km thick. Because the ice only started melting and receding some 13,000 years many countries are still experiencing isostatic rebound where the land masses are rising as the weight of ice is no longer there. This is or was an ice age, not a few cold years and failed crops a 100,000 of ice obliterating all life. Amazing when you consider every species in say Canada or sweden has spread there in the last 13,000 years.

Glaciation etc. doesn't however explain the direct correlation between our carbon, methane and other emmissions and a progressive rise in global average temperatures.

Nor does it explain how el ninos are warmer than ever (Pacific sea temps) or the fact that on average hurricanes, typhoons etc are on average stronger.

Edit. Mainland Europe still drinks wine from grapes. The rest or northern part ales etc. As grapes don't grow well as it always been too cold. That is changing though. Southern UK and sweden now have several places producing wine.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Sep.2019, 03:45 PM
Post #19

Over time this planet has changed many times, the magnetic poles have changed, the continents have split/shifted, seas/oceans have been created only to disappear many, many times, mountains have become hills Etc..

The cause of the change is moot, we have to prepare for a different climate/life...But not to worry in a few million years it will get cold again...
+
skogsbo
post 10.Sep.2019, 03:54 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 10.Sep.2019, 03:45 PM) *
Over time this planet has changed many times, the magnetic poles have changed, the continents have split/shifted, seas/oceans have been created only to disappear many, many ti ... (show full quote)

All are natural events. The current one isn't natural, it's of our own doing.

But the point is if you live 5m or less above sea level now is the time to worry.

If you live off food that requires irritation now is the time to worry.

If you have an illness etc could be worsened by excess heat or pollution now is the time to worry.

By the time another ice age arrives, our fate will have long since been decided. Probably population reduction, wars, bit of famine, a few diseases etc.

Imagine if that last hurricane had sat near stationary over Florida for 48hrs instead of the Bahamas perhaps a few more folk there would be taking things more seriously?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Sep.2019, 04:23 PM
Post #21

Anybody familiar withe the earth sciences will acknowledge that sea levels have been rising for centuries and land bridges between continents have disappeared, rising sea levels can bring about a multitude of changes not yet understood by scientists...

Human habitation has appeared where it never existed before, so any change will effect us...

We only think about it now because of the political hysteria that is now the "in thing"

Vote for me and I will save you and the planet!!!

When you think that now at this time in history most of the problems that mankind has faced have been dealt with pretty well so what is there for a politician to use to show that the world needs him/her to be in control???

The human race has adapted to harsh conditions before and it can now without all the political hysteria that is in place today...

The Sahara was once vegetated, now it's not...Mankind did not cause the desertification there...it was Mother Nature that did... rolleyes.gif
+
TheExpatEagle
post 10.Sep.2019, 06:43 PM
Post #22

There was a good documentary about 10 years ago which documented how the climate wasn't on the agenda in the 70s when Thatcher was going for election but by the time of the late 80s when she was going for her 3rd term the political parties realised it was not only a vote winner but scientists saw it was a good way to get funding.

It has snowballed from there.

That said I think if we can do something to reduce energy consumption, such as LED lights, etc. then I think we should. Do I think humans are responsible? No, not 100% I don't.

However, I always liken the earth to a gym hall. If you stand in it alone you might be chilly. Put 50 people in there it might be okay. Put another 100 in there and you might think it is hot because more people means more body heat, etc.

In terms of the earth we have more people than ever before and more things that generate heat. My home computer alone throws out hot air from a CPU that idles at 42 degrees. Fridges, TVs, cars, A/C units and so on all add heat.

That's the part I think we are adding to global warming, the weather is natural.

People say animals are contributing but it is accepted that algae and methane (farts) contribute to 50% of the problem because the most farmed animals are not meat eaters (cows, lambs, etc.). If we didn't farm them then they would be almost as many in the wild.

In other words, vegetarians cause more methane than meat eaters. Save the planet, kill a vegetarian or vegan.

+
Saywhatwhat
post 10.Sep.2019, 07:34 PM
Post #23

Whether what humans are doing matters or not, we should for the sake of nature not pollute it as much as we do. The oceans are filled with plastic and it is disgusting... for just one example.

Humans tend to think they are very very important. Whether we like it or not, or are speeding up or not, another evolutionary step will occur.

At the least, people should take advantage of low energy consumption because it saves money. Everyone likes that.

In regards to Sweden’s energy consumption... I believe someone mentioned the carbon footprint from producing the energy which is consumed.

It made me think of this short documentary which presents the possibility that Sweden is burning a large amount of plastics for their “recycled energy”...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=caw-969W-D4
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Sep.2019, 09:23 PM
Post #24

Post#22... BINGO!!!
+
skogsbo
post 11.Sep.2019, 09:11 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 10.Sep.2019, 04:23 PM) *
Anybody familiar withe the earth sciences will acknowledge that sea levels have been rising for centuries and land bridges between continents have disappeared, rising sea leve ... (show full quote)

Curiously enough, I am qualified in earth sciences. I've done a mish mash of geology, physics, volcanic/plate tectonics and environmental science.

Climate can change slowly because continents move. The land you stand on now will have been elsewhere a 100million years ago. That isn't climates change, that is the earth literally moving beneath your feet!
The Sahara was formed due to land closing up overseas. They created the alps and the Mediterranean some 7 million ish years ago. Part of the desert was greener, but again it's through man's efforts over grazing changed that some 5000 years ago.
Many has adapted and used science etc. But these are usually temporary. We've only been farming a few thousand years, had medicines for 100-200years etc. But we are damaging the planet in a scale we can't possible improvise our way out of.

You are free to call it mother nature etc. But it's us that is changing it. Continents, glacier etc all cause changes measurable in 1000s of years, we are causing changes annually.

+
skogsbo
post 11.Sep.2019, 09:24 AM
Post #26

QUOTE (TheExpatEagle @ 10.Sep.2019, 06:43 PM) *
However, I always liken the earth to a gym hall. If you stand in it alone you might be chilly. Put 50 people in there it might be okay. Put another 100 in there and you might ... (show full quote)

If there would have been just as many wild as domestic animals, why are methane levels higher now than before?

Whilst your cpu might get a little hot, we have a massive heat source near us that top trumps it, I can feel it's effect far more than anything else. I know when it's turned off... the sun. It emits more energy that we can imagine. 35000 times more energy hits the earth from the sun than we use on the entire planet.

So, even if a very small extra percentage of that energy is trapped in the form of heat on earth it has major consequences. You cpu, everyones cpu, everyone's heating with the windows open...meaningless. But the gases emitted producing your electricity, if they trap just 0.000something% of that sun's energy we have major problems.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 11.Sep.2019, 11:33 AM
Post #27

The Earth changes with or without help from mankind, the Sahara is no exception...

"For several hundred thousand years, the Sahara has alternated between desert and savanna grassland in a 20,000 year cycle[8] caused by the precession of the Earth's axis as it rotates around the Sun, which changes the location of the North African Monsoon. The area is next expected to become green in about 15,000 years (17,000 AD)."

Just wait for that!!! laugh.gif
+
skogsbo
post 11.Sep.2019, 02:32 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 11.Sep.2019, 11:33 AM) *
The Earth changes with or without help from mankind, the Sahara is no exception..."For several hundred thousand years, the Sahara has alternated between desert and savann ... (show full quote)

Where are you getting your science from? The earth orbits the sun annually. Axis shift is minimal and is far out weighed by continental drift.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 11.Sep.2019, 03:01 PM
Post #29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahara
+
Gjeebes
post 11.Sep.2019, 07:00 PM
Post #30

"It's not what you use but how's it is produced that causes the pollution."

Geesus people are thick.

Using the energy that is produced, by energy production methods that creates pollution, causes more energy to be produced, and hence is a DIRECT cause of pollution.

Duh!
+

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: