The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Questions on Bostadsrätt

Costs, Maintenance, Renovation ...

gterreni
post 18.Sep.2019, 08:03 PM
Post #1

This is most likely one of the most eviscerated topics ever in this forum, but I still couldn't find the answers I was looking for... so please bear with me

1. I know that it's good to check on the bostadsrättsföreningen's periodic balance statements, as it's a good measure of how stable is the association. But how to spot problems? What to look for? How best to tell if a good situation can possibly turn for the worse?
  2. As a basic swedish speaker, it would be helpful to read transcripts of the bostadsrättsföreningen meetings, instead of partecipating to them (or on top of). Any advice on how to best follow the process?
  3. Who is responsible for telling me about foreseeable relevant costs that impact the association before the purchase? i.e. the typical pipes change
  4. I know of people who managed to withdraw from a signed contract and getting the deposit back after they found bad problems (mould, electricity, infestation..) during the inspection/beskrivning. In which cases is this possible?
  5. I don't have clear which maintenance costs I will be responsible for and which not. Reading https://www.juristjouren.se/sida2_kopia.html it is stated that (for instance) "the tenant is responsible for the plumbing from the bathroom to where it connects to the mains", while the rest is up to the association. So in general I'm responsible for maintaining the interior of the apartment in order. What happens then if a radiator starts to leak? Or what if for some reason irrigation/drainage pipes under my garden leak?
  6. Similarly to the above, about damages I read about a concept of recklessness or negligence from the tenant who is then liable. I personally imagine this as voluntarily starting a kitchen fire and damaging both my own apartment and the rest of the building. How is this really defined?
  7. What problems to expect/look for in a swedish house that is 50 years old during visning?
  8. What if I like an apartment but it would really look better without a wall and I want to demolish it (provided ofc it's not structural)? Am I generally allowed to do internal renovation on personal preference? What are the limits? Do I have to get approval from the association? What if I find mould during the renovation?
  9. The monthly avgift generally covers most utilities and the driftkostnad is an estimate based on past invoices of other running costs that are not covered by the avgift. Correct? So, both considered, there should be no/little additional costs to watch out for?
Go to the top of the page
+
Svedallas
post 19.Sep.2019, 10:32 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (gterreni @ 18.Sep.2019, 09:03 PM) *
This is most likely one of the most eviscerated topics ever in this forum, but I still couldn't find the answers I was looking for... so please bear with meI know that it& ... (show full quote)

Are you seriously expecting someone to spend their time to answer ALL your questions?

Do your own research! Quit being lazy.
+
gterreni
post 19.Sep.2019, 12:10 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 19.Sep.2019, 11:32 AM) *
Are you seriously expecting someone to spend their time to answer ALL your questions?. Do your own research! Quit being lazy.

Hey! Thanks for your reply smile.gif
It's a forum. Nothing is "expected" from people and I'm not forcing anybody to reply. I totally understand the topic is dull after being asked about so many times.
Yet still I couldn't find a clear answer to most of the above questions, that IMHO are both more advanced than an average "why the hell should I pay avgift on top of mortgage?!?!!" that you usually find here, and are more related to a long experience in living in sweden rather than occurrences that one could find just by googling.

Some examples using the questions above:

1. https://www.apaservices.org/practice/business/finances/balance-sheet this is a generic guide on how to read a balance sheet. Is it relevant? something SPECIFIC to bostadsrätt that has to be taken into consideration?
  2. http://www.solglittret.se/filer/arsmote2019/arsstamma2019.pdf this is one case I could find of a minute of meeting transcript. But is it common practice?
  3. Is there even a long-term plan for big investments in general? https://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?s...p;mode=threaded in one of the answers here it is suggested that one of the first questions to ask is about pipe changes, but if they are not, is it possible to imagine when this is gonna happen in the future?
  4. https://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showtopic=25026&st=0&p=455790&#entry455790 here it is said that is best to have the purchase contract to say that if problems are found during beskrivning then the contract is null. Is this the correct safeguard?
  5. already liked my research result where it says that it's contentious what is due on the tenant or not
  6. same link above. How you define recklessness/negligence?
  7. there is generally more information about the besiktning (https://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showtopic=14088&mode=linear ) rather than the visning. Is visning just "i like it or not" deal?
  8. https://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showtopic=84644&st=0&p=891848&#entry891848 this is a nightmare story when one tries to take down a wall of a owned house. What if I just visited the house and would like to bid only if they let me complete such renovation?
  9. just a yes/no answer to confirm I understood correctly
+
djmarko
post 19.Sep.2019, 12:26 PM
Post #4

perhaps you should pop into one of the many local estate agents around where you live, they will gladly answer your questions!
+
Essingen55
post 19.Sep.2019, 04:46 PM
Post #5

I will do one answer, someone else can do the rest.

2. As a basic swedish speaker, it would be helpful to read transcripts of the bostadsrättsföreningen meetings, instead of participating to them (or on top of). Any advice on how to best follow the process?

You can't. Regular meetings of the housing association board are confidential. Although minutes are produced, members are non entitled to read them. The most you will get in writing is a report in conjunction with the presentation of the annual accounts and possibly the minutes from the AGM, although these can be brief, if no controversial proposals are discussed.
+
TheExpatEagle
post 19.Sep.2019, 06:57 PM
Post #6

Avgift is akin to service charges in the UK. When I owned my flat in London I had to pay almost a thousand pounds every 6 months for upkeep, repairs and so on.

Admittedly over here it is a little more but then over here you own a percentage of the association and the standard is a lot higher.

When I bought a flat in Stockholm the extra perks were great such as a gym, sauna, guest rooms and so on.

At the end of the day if you aren't happy about it don't buy a flat here.
+
ChocOwl
post 20.Sep.2019, 11:30 AM
Post #7

1. check on the status of the loans - what interest rate, how much of the principal is being repaid etc
3. ask the ordförande of the brf if the agent does not have the answer already. there should be a maintenance plan (underhållsplan) and budget
5. this depends on what the bylaws (stadgar) say. you need to read and understand them. there will be a section about your responsibilities
8. see what it says in the stadgar. but yes, you probably need permission
9. generally correct however there is a huge variation in what is included in the monthly fee so you need to check what is included (e.g. if internet is not included in the monthly fee and the seller does not have an internet you will need to add that to the costs, it won't be listed on the costs estimate in the ad). your monthly costs for e.g. electricity will depend on your habits, number of people in the household etc. I mean, if you buy a flat used by one person but you have a family of six people you will probably use more electricity
+
Svedallas
post 22.Sep.2019, 11:07 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (gterreni @ 19.Sep.2019, 01:10 PM) *
Hey! Thanks for your reply It's a forum. Nothing is "expected" from people and I'm not forcing anybody to reply. I totally understand the topic is dull a ... (show full quote)

A lot of this information you could have found online.
Or asked an agent.

Here wasting your and other peoples time.
+
gterreni
post 28.Sep.2019, 02:59 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 22.Sep.2019, 12:07 PM) *
A lot of this information you could have found online.. Or asked an agent.. Here wasting your and other peoples time.

For a person that doesn't want to waste time, you surely do write a lot of useless replies.
+
Svedallas
post 30.Sep.2019, 11:11 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (gterreni @ 28.Sep.2019, 03:59 PM) *
For a person that doesn't want to waste time, you surely do write a lot of useless replies.

My point is people should do their own research before posting.

What is YOUR point? Not like I care. You've been a member on the forum for what, 2 seconds.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: