The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Compact Laptop/Pad/Tablet advise needed

Acer Iconia i3?

local_in_overseas
post 15.Aug.2013, 09:47 AM
Post #1

Hi Folks,

Which compact laptop/tablet are you using ? Planning to go for one and thought to get your inputs on that.
I have recently seen the Acer Iconia Hybrid with i3 processor which is pretty unique in terms of windows as an operating system, dual use possibility with/without keyboards, long battery life!, light weight, etc though it does not have built-in 3g. I am not sure if it can use a 3g dongle either but I hope it can. This is something we could use for windows applications, downloads and at the same time use as tablets. This is just a thought and would love to hear from you guys.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/acer-iconia-w7...7-35472849.html

Cheers !

/ Cyrus
Go to the top of the page
+
wondering
post 15.Aug.2013, 10:13 AM
Post #2

My honest opinion would be to stick to Android or iOS devices.

Sony Xperia Z, Google Nexus 7 (not the 10 though), Samsung Galaxy Note 2 or Ipads would be the best bet.

If you stick to these I think it's safest especially as Apple should release a new Ipad soon.

Windows 8 tablets just don't have all the apps you need or want and that should influence your decision.
+
Mib
post 15.Aug.2013, 12:45 PM
Post #3

With the new Haswell processors (uses much less power...in new MAC laptops) and the combined tablet/laptop market just starting, I would wait (if you can). In my opinion, this time next year will be a good time as the compact tblet/laptop market will offer much more in choice.

For a pure tablet at a good price, then I've head lots of good things about the Google tablet, while the iPad is very good if you want to connect to the Apple eco system with lots of great apps.
+
Mib
post 15.Aug.2013, 12:46 PM
Post #4

With the new Haswell processors (uses much less power...in new MAC laptops) and the combined tablet/laptop market just starting, I would wait (if you can). In my opinion, this time next year will be a good time as the compact tblet/laptop market will offer much more in choice.

For a pure tablet at a good price, then I've head lots of good things about the Google tablet, while the iPad is very good if you want to connect to the Apple eco system with lots of great apps.
+
local_in_overseas
post 15.Aug.2013, 01:47 PM
Post #5

I am looking for something that I can keep the dock and keyboard when I want to write reports, documents at MS office or similar, and use it like a full PC. Other times, I just pull the tablet out from the dock and use for games, apps, films, and browsing on the move. Is there any other products offering these features ? I want to have a one-stop solution like Windows/Linux+PAD. Please give a shout if you have comments smile.gif .. Many Thanks !
+
local_in_overseas
post 15.Aug.2013, 01:54 PM
Post #6

Sorry ! I am not sure if I can use the Acer Iconia as a full PC. Does it offer MS office or similar ? or PDF creator ? etc etc..
+
cartenui
post 15.Aug.2013, 05:43 PM
Post #7

wouldnt get an acer with windows 8 even if i was payed to use it.
+
local_in_overseas
post 16.Aug.2013, 09:44 AM
Post #8

May I know what would you use which suits with my requirements ? I am just trying to figure out a good product for me. Many Thanks in advance.
+
friendonlyyours
post 16.Aug.2013, 09:48 AM
Post #9

Microsoft Surface Pro is best option but it has big price tag as well.

http://www.pcworld.com/product/1252503/sur...pro-128gb-.html
+
wondering
post 16.Aug.2013, 10:04 AM
Post #10

http://www.zdnet.com/for-200-less-the-128g...pro-7000010496/

As you see here MS tablets have much less space than advertised.

Stick to an Ipad or Galaxy tab .. or even a Nexus 10.

From what I understand you want to work on the same document on your desktop and also maybe access it later. Just use dropbox to sync your docs.

If you have a ACER laptop then you can install Acer remote files access which you can then use on an iOS or Android device to access the files on your laptop.

just my tuppence
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: