The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Romantic weekend away in Sweden

Any recommendations?

vaniah
post 6.Jun.2010, 07:32 PM
Post #1

My husband and I would like to go away for the weekend to celebrate our 1st anniversary and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of places they've been to, heard about from reliable friends. I will have to send off my passport to get it renewed so leaving Sweden isn't an option. We would like to go somewhere with a little countryside, that is driving distance from Stockholm and preferably with spa/golfing options. Any ideas?
Go to the top of the page
+
Rick Methven
post 6.Jun.2010, 07:38 PM
Post #2

This place is really great.

Mauritzberg Golf & Sea Resort

A couple of hours down the E4/E20 the rooms are great especially in the old Slott and the food is fantastic there is an 18 hole golf course as well. My wife and I went there last summer for a weekend and really enjoyed it.
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 6.Jun.2010, 09:05 PM
Post #3

Stay in Stockholm for Love2010 laugh.gif
+
Mack
post 6.Jun.2010, 09:19 PM
Post #4

I spent a few days with my love at Loka Brunn a few years ago. It was very relaxing place to connect with someone and I have good memories of this trip. Don't bother with any of the SPA treatments though... they are crap compared to what you can get in Riga.
+
Traveler2010
post 6.Jun.2010, 09:42 PM
Post #5

I think Vadstena has a golf course, plus a beach on Vattern, and another beach at Motala. Plus Vadstena is out in the country like you mentioned. But it might be farther to drive from Stockholm than you wanted.
+
DanielC
post 7.Jun.2010, 11:16 AM
Post #6

My wife and I will be celebrating our 1st anniversary on the 25th of June. We are currently in the Skåne region and I'm looking for a place for a weekend get-away.

We love mountains, forests and lakes. Sadly, Skåne has neither mountains nor forests, so I guess I'll be looking for a place up north. Can anyone recommend a nice Bed & Breakfast (or similar) somewhere in Sweden or Norway with a nice view of mountains and a lake? Price range: "Medium" (we have limited funds, but I do want to do something special for the wife).

Any recommendations?
+
Puffin
post 7.Jun.2010, 11:27 AM
Post #7

To OP - You could try Friiberg Herrgård - a manor on Mälaren around an hour(ish) fron Stockholm that does a number of weekend packages
- you can book various spa treatments
- there is a lakeside sauna
- next door to the manor is a golf-course which the hotel can help you book
http://www.friibergh.se/friibergh/en/weekend/
+
DidiE
post 7.Jun.2010, 11:40 AM
Post #8

It's a cliched tourist beach town in the summer, but I love Strömstad, and you could hop over to Norway for lunch.
+
Rick Methven
post 7.Jun.2010, 11:44 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (DidiE @ 7.Jun.2010, 12:40 PM) *
and you could hop over to Norway for lunch.

If you have deep pockets biggrin.gif
+
DidiE
post 7.Jun.2010, 11:46 AM
Post #10

We always end up at a little grocery store by the old town, shopping Norwegian ice cream, which is actually no different from Swedish ice cream. Still, it's a fun trip, and quite pretty drive.
+
Puffin
post 7.Jun.2010, 01:05 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (DanielC @ 7.Jun.2010, 12:16 PM) *
My wife and I will be celebrating our 1st anniversary on the 25th of June. We are currently in the Skåne region and I'm looking for a place for a weekend get-away.We love ... (show full quote)

If your budget will allow I would recommend Åkerblads a old farmhouse converted into an Inn over 100 years ago - it overlooks lake Siljan in Dalarna
http://www.akerblads.se/sa/site.asp?site=285
+
raffe
post 7.Jun.2010, 11:37 PM
Post #12

If you are a foodie, then this one is absolutely fantastic: http://www.yxtaholmsslott.se/
Great hotel too. Only 1,5 hours drive from Stockholm. No golfing though, no spa (although the sauna and dip in the lake is pretty nice).

Last chance this summer because the current owners are selling the place. Such a shame, my wife and I were planning on celebrating many anniversaries there; we got married there...
+
vaniah
post 8.Jun.2010, 02:56 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (raffe @ 8.Jun.2010, 12:37 AM) *
If you are a foodie, then this one is absolutely fantastic: http://www.yxtaholmsslott.se/

I love how they list "ghosts" as one of their facilities smile.gif
+
Traveler2010
post 9.Jun.2010, 03:09 PM
Post #14

That is pretty funny. I love it. (Even though I don't believe in ghosts.)

blink.gif
+
kuuipo
post 9.Jun.2010, 05:20 PM
Post #15

DanielC!

There's a wonderful STF (http://www.svenskaturistforeningen.se/) Fjällstation in Saltoluokta. It's right on the lake surrounded by mountains and nature. There are hiking trails, one which goes to a Sami village, others go up in the mountains. It has a great restaurant and a bastu with a wonderful view of the mountains overlooking the lake.

You can book it all the way through on SJ train. I would take the train with a sleeper car, when you get off the train the bus is there waiting to take you to the lake where a boat will pick you up and take you to the other side. It's an amazing place and an unforgettable experience. We liked it so much that we're going back this year:-)
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: