The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

A Candid Dutch Film May Be Too Scary for Immigrants

*Nico aka the boy wonder*
post 21.Mar.2006, 01:20 PM
Post #1

An attempt to shock muslims to not want to move to the netherlands? or a honest attempt to show the liberal way of life the duth have?

NIJMEGEN, the Netherlands, March 15 ? This is not exactly a run-of-the-mill homework assignment: watch a film clip of an attractive woman sunbathing topless, and try not to be shocked.
"People do not make a fuss about nudity," the narrator explains.

That lesson, about the Netherlands' nude beaches, is followed by another: homosexuals have the same rights here as heterosexuals do, including the chance to marry.

Just to make sure everyone gets the message, two men are shown kissing in a meadow.
The scenes are brief parts of a two-hour-long film that the Dutch government has compiled to help potential immigrants, many of them from Islamic countries, meet the demands of a new entrance examination that went into effect on Wednesday. In the exam, candidates must prove they can speak some Dutch and are at least aware of the Netherlands' liberal values, even if they do not agree with all of them.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/16/internat...amp;oref=slogin

Pro
The film is meant for people not yet in Holland to take note that this is normal here and not be shocked and awed by it once they arrive," said Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a Somali-born member of the Dutch Parliament.

Anti
This isn't education, it's provocation," Mr. Menebhi said. "The new law has one goal: to stop the flow of immigrants, especially by Muslims from countries like Morocco and Turkey."
Go to the top of the page
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 21.Mar.2006, 01:30 PM
Post #2

The majority of the press and a lot of social hyper-sensitive people will say this is provocative...but those with a level head will see that it as educational to anyone who is interested in moving there. Its called research and education to the culture you are going to be joining. They should do something like that about Sweden...imagine what would be in that?
+
*Streja*
post 21.Mar.2006, 01:37 PM
Post #3

smile.gif

Depends who makes it...the Evil Social Democrats or the Right Wing lunatics from The Local...
+
FR
post 21.Mar.2006, 04:34 PM
Post #4

If it accurately depicts life in Holland, then fine. Seems as though it does. Immigrants should not move to a country with the mind to change it. You should move there because you like the principles of the country.
+
*Carol*
post 21.Mar.2006, 04:46 PM
Post #5

Prostitution, Cannabis, Homosexual Marriage---All part of Holland's reputation. And why should they change just because more people move there and get the vote? I was completely shocked at the shock that Holland lived up to its reputation!
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 22.Mar.2006, 01:47 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Jason aka Bladerunner)
The majority of the press and a lot of social hyper-sensitive people will say this is provocative...but those with a level head will see that it as educational to anyone who is interested in moving there. Its called research and education to the culture you are going to be joining. They should do something like that about Sweden...imagine what would be in that?

It would show lots of men in makeup not talking to anyone and hairy nekkid feminists covered in baby oil having lesbian sex. Or something.

Seriously though, I think it's a great idea to have something that gives an overview or the culture that you may be moving into. No matter how similar it seems, there will be things that you won't understand, that will make you say "huh?" and that will upset your values. I was appalled and disgusted to find out the age of consent in Sweden was 15, for instance. (I got over it, I'm cool now, but there was some serious revulsion at the time.) Going from Turkey to the Netherlands would be an even bigger culture shock, I'm sure. Informing people isn't "don't come here" at all; it's "this is who we are."

I don't think a movie of men kissing or topless sunbathing is a deterrent. If one is deterred by the video, then probably they need to rethink their immigration plans. Gary Simpson, M.d. would be just as apopleptic over the content as your average radical Muslim, so I don't see where it's discriminatory. It's basically a PSA and if people are bitching about the content, they ought to rethink their immigration choices. Which is the purpose of the film. (Gotta love those Dutch though, besides being the closest thing an atheist gets to a a religious experience in bed, maybe they'll send their abortion boat over to the U.S. once the right wing neocons have finished gutting Roe vs. Wade.)
+
Benzed
post 24.Mar.2006, 11:23 AM
Post #7

Where the hell are my posts going?

TL is editing them out?
+
Pacific NW Peter
post 31.Mar.2006, 06:36 AM
Post #8

Is this video available for me to look at on the internet? If anyone has the link please pass it along. Regards from Portland.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: