The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Unsupervised children question

Advice from Swedes welcomed

Meadowlane
post 30.Sep.2017, 08:42 PM
Post #1

Hi everyone,
I'm not a resident in Sweden and I understand some of the parenting is more relaxed and liberal than in other EU countries so I was just looking for some thoughts from Swedes. Is it ok to leave children aged 12 and 17 home alone for the weekend in Sweden? I know of course things depend on the individuals concerned and the maturity and so on, but as a general rule?
I am a little concerned about a situation involving two children being regularly left by a parent. Any comments welcome.
Thank you
Go to the top of the page
+
Bsmith
post 30.Sep.2017, 10:48 PM
Post #2

You're not a resident of Sweden and yet you ask? Trying to build a case?
+
ChocOwl
post 30.Sep.2017, 11:15 PM
Post #3

OK, you want advice from Swedes. This is a mainly expat discussion forum.

There is no specific law about this situation. Parents have a responsibility for the child until the age of 18. Some kids move away from home at 16 to go to senior high school so it would generally not be a problem to leave a 17 year old home alone if the kid is able to handle the responsibility. Whether or not the 17 year old can take responsibility for the 12 year old is a different question. Would depend on living arrangements etc - is this an isolated home in arural area or an apartment with friendly neighbours? With the right kids it could be fine. But I guess you think it is not fine, since you are asking. What are your concerns?
+
john.boy
post 1.Oct.2017, 11:18 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Meadowlane @ 30.Sep.2017, 08:42 PM) *
Is it ok to leave children aged 12 and 17 home alone for the weekend in Sweden?

At 17 the child could also have a baby itself to care for! Would you let that parent be alone with it's child?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 2.Oct.2017, 12:01 AM
Post #5

Maybe this would help, even though "nothing" happened...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-49...nt-Germany.html
+
Meadowlane
post 3.Oct.2017, 12:45 PM
Post #6

Hi, thank you everyone for your views and comments, all welcomed. Not trying to build a case, just more interested in whether the legal system is different and hence the general opinions between uk and Sweden vary. Trying to support a loved one in a difficult situation but want to be able to offer a considered opinion. Thanks all.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: