The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Tourist tips for visiting Sweden in October

Stockholm, NHL hockey games, northern lights, etc.

carmel
post 7.May.2009, 07:29 PM
Post #1

My husband and I are making our first trip to Sweden in October to watch the 2 NHL games on Oct. 2 and 3. Please help/comment on our plans.

We've only purchased game and air tickets (no hotels, etc). Since we do not know anyone there, we're pretty much on our own. Here's our planned itinerary which is really not set in stone except for our game nights on Oct 2 & 3, arrival on Oct 1 (ARN) and departure on Oct 11 (CPH):

Oct 1 - ARN arrival (9am), hotel check-in then "Stockholm stuff" - don't know what yet
Oct 2 & 3 - almost full day to do "Stockholm stuff" then hockey at at night
Oct 4 - 6 - again, "Stockholm stuff" which must include a visit to Vasteras to pay homage to my husband's favorite NHL player's hometown (ha! just a silly thing to do. I did the same thing in Canada stopping at Brantford, Ontario just to take a few pictures)
Oct 7 - fly to Kiruna (or take the night train on Oct. 6)
Oct 7 or 8 - train to Narvik and back on the same day. We'd also love to see the Northern lights. I would like to experience or at least "see" the Sami culture. Yes, I want a couple of those bracelets!
Oct 9 - fly to Copenhagen. Go across bridge (must do) preferably by bus instead of a fast train then maybe spend a few hours in Lund (?) which, as others have claimed, is prettier than Malmo
Oct 10 - "Copenhagen stuff"
Oct 11 - CPH departure

Is Oct. 1 - 6 enough time to spend in Stockholm? Should we spend more time up north? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.
Go to the top of the page
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 7.May.2009, 09:25 PM
Post #2

You are missing Goatbog...blasphemy!
+
carmel
post 7.May.2009, 10:21 PM
Post #3

I have no idea where to go other than the Globen Arena and "that bridge" in Copenhagen. Something fascinates me about being in the Arctic Circle (and yes, I want Sami bracelets too!) so Kiruna might also be a must-go (or any other place up there?). I don't know. I'm still waiting for my Sweden guide book in the mail.
+
Timmo
post 7.May.2009, 10:58 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (carmel @ 7.May.2009, 07:29 PM) *
My husband and I are making our first trip to Sweden in October to watch the 2 NHL games on Oct. 2 and 3. Please help/comment on our plans...Is Oct. 1 - 6 enough time to spen ... (show full quote)

Not sure where you are coming from (geographically speaking) or what your interests are - culture-vulture or wilderness-lover ? However, a personal view is that what makes Sweden special in European terms is the North. The South is fine but there are plenty of fine cities etc to explore in Europe and beyond. Arctic Sweden & Norway really is different because of the wide open spaces and mountains and the Sami culture - but if you come from parts of North America then some of that may be 'same-old same-old'.
The trip to Narvik on the train is dramatic (although Narvik itself isn't) and if you had time to get to the Lofoten Islands off the Norwegian coast then I would take that over a day or two in Stockholm. On the other hand, in October the weather up north may well be poor, can get pretty cold, wet and windy at that time of year although that can be dramatic in its own way. Just depends what sort of thing you want.
These sites might give you some ideas:
http://www.laponia.nu/eng/
http://www.lofoten.info/index.jsp
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: