The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

Boys blocked from bearing 'girls only' Lucia crown

Ezpen The Caveman
post 15.Dec.2008, 11:15 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (Bra_Billie)
wow wow, things are really getting Lucia-tic over here. Some one is getting their candle waxed and some one else has melted their wax. I wonder what comes next wink.gif

laugh.gif
Some naughty boyz around here...
ANY GOSSIP FOR ME? biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
entry
post 16.Dec.2008, 01:15 AM
Post #32

QUOTE (Bra_Billie)
wow wow, things are really getting Lucia-tic over here. Some one is getting their candle waxed and some one else has melted their wax. I wonder what comes next wink.gif

Burn their candles on both ends :twisted: and be done with it!
+
Gustav- Fælbönnran
post 16.Dec.2008, 02:07 AM
Post #33

QUOTE (Shark99 - Itchy Gruyn)
I just love how people want to keep revising and changing things in the name of "equality." If this is the thing that gets people's goat in Sweden, that's pretty sad.

personally I don't know why we celebrate a Catholic saint to begin with. Aren't we suppose to be Lutherans? The Frozen Chosen?

There are two "Sankta Lucias", though. The Italian girl who got her eyes put out, and the Swedish girl who brought the food to the starving peasants with candles on her head.

They were conflated because the Swedish myth was heathen in nature, and not acceptable to our Catholic oppressors in medieval times.

The Swedish myth deals with the turning of the wheel of the year, sinking into the dark, cold winter, and then the light returning to us. The myth only makes sense when Lucia is represented by an ethnically Nordic girl. Foreigners do not share our cultural memory, or thousands of year of genetic adaptation to the North. They might appreciate the myth superficially, but they are unlikely to feel it deeply in their hearts like we do.

And Lucia cannot be represented by a boy, because what boy would have trudged through a forest of deep snow with candles on his head to deliver food to starving villagers? If a boy had been sent to do the job, he would have gone 100 metres, eaten the food himself, and made up some story about being robbed by strangers.

No, it has to be a girl.

Natten var stor och stum. Nu hör det svingar,
i alla tysta rum, sus som av vingar.
Se på vår tröskel står vitkläd, med ljus i hår,
Sankta Lucia, Sankta Lucia.
+
Gustav- Fælbönnran
post 16.Dec.2008, 02:08 AM
Post #34

QUOTE (Ezpen The Caveman)
laugh.gif
Some naughty boyz around here...
ANY GOSSIP FOR ME? biggrin.gif

Hej, Espen.

How are tricks?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 16.Dec.2008, 02:55 AM
Post #35

QUOTE (Gustav- Fælbönnran)
There are two "Sankta Lucias", though. The Italian girl who got her eyes put out, and the Swedish girl who brought the food to the starving peasants with candles on her head.

They were conflated because the Swedish myth was heathen in nature, and not acceptable to our Catholic oppressors in medieval times.

The Swedish myth deals with the turning of the wheel of the year, sinking into the dark, cold winter, and then the light returning to us. The myth only makes sense when Lucia is represented by an ethnically Nordic girl. Foreigners do not share our cultural memory, or thousands of year of genetic adaptation to the North. They might appreciate the myth superficially, but they are unlikely to feel it deeply in their hearts like we do.

And Lucia cannot be represented by a boy, because what boy would have trudged through a forest of deep snow with candles on his head to deliver food to starving villagers? If a boy had been sent to do the job, he would have gone 100 metres, eaten the food himself, and made up some story about being robbed by strangers.

No, it has to be a girl.

Natten var stor och stum. Nu hör det svingar,
i alla tysta rum, sus som av vingar.
Se på vår tröskel står vitkläd, med ljus i hår,
Sankta Lucia, Sankta Lucia.

You have my deepest respect.

Tack.
+
Gustav- Fælbönnran
post 16.Dec.2008, 06:03 AM
Post #36

Thank you, my friend. I've set out a place for you at my virtual table. http://www.sr.se/Diverse/AppData/isidor/im...605_366_250.jpg

I hope that the rest of you buried your lutfisk in beech ashes on Lucia day so it will be tasty and tender for your Jul meals.
+
post 16.Dec.2008, 10:52 AM
Post #37

QUOTE (Gustav- Fælbönnran)

No, it has to be a girl.

and now there's the reason why we love gus. puss
+
*Guest*
post 16.Dec.2008, 12:12 PM
Post #38

And, that's why we guys don't.

Gus has always been the softest touch when it comes to anything concerning female. He's crazy about them.

I never have forgotten his trying to soften up all those Cuban senoritas with those Eddy records while we were being pursued by Batista's killers back in 1956.

The screwball almost got us killed.

This latest effort to soften up the ladies must be to establish a chorus of approval for some libel he writes about me in a Christmas message.
+
swede18436572
post 2.Jan.2009, 10:19 PM
Post #39

You know when the FBI has been investigating a corrupt Illinois Governor, nothing will suprise the outcome; especially with ties directly infiltrated within the Mob.
However, you do something really stupid, you'll lose your seat! These poor children, with the proper training will turn out to be the most ferocious Viking's Sweden's seen, despite what they acted out as in their childhood!
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: