The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

125 CC Motorbike in UK

What are the rules?

carterhayes
post 3.May.2012, 10:41 AM
Post #1

I have a Swedish drivers license. What does it take for me, to be able to rent / buy / drive a 125 CC motorbike in UK?

I have looked at many moped rental places, but it seems mopeds are not in fashion in UK? Is it because a drivers license for 125 cc is easy to get?

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page
+
John.Smith
post 3.May.2012, 10:54 AM
Post #2

Swedish Car license or do you have a Bike License too? Insurance is normally the cost factor when renting back home.
+
carterhayes
post 3.May.2012, 10:59 AM
Post #3

I only have Swedish car license.
I think UK has something called Compulsary Motorbike Training or so? Ideally i would want to go to Scotland and rent / or buy a 125CC and go for vacation. Dont know what the legal requirements are...
+
John.Smith
post 3.May.2012, 11:13 AM
Post #4

Won't happen mate sad.gif

Without a valid bike license you will not be able to hire anything. You could purchase but then you still don't hold a valid license so no insurance would be possible.

As a bare minimum you need to have a UK provisional bike license but then you are restricted to power of the bike.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/learn...ride/dg_4022661
+
John.Smith
post 3.May.2012, 11:16 AM
Post #5

Also, very limited touring on a 125cc bike?? If I recall right (been many years), the limitation is for provisonal holders is on the bike power rather than engine size nowadays. I think the limit is 25KW or circa 33hp at the rear wheel... Could be wrong though, I took my test donkies ago and the rules were different back then.
+
carterhayes
post 3.May.2012, 11:31 AM
Post #6

Thanks John, it puts me a bit further... It seems i can drive the same vehicle in UK as i am allowed to do on my Swedish drivers license = a 49 cc Moped / Scooter. Perhaps i can obtain a license for larger engines with a CBT course in UK, or perhaps i have to take a CBT course to even drive a 49 cc?

It would not be much touring, maybe Glasgow, around Arran, Mull of Kintyre up to Knoydart and back to Glasgow in 14 days enjoying the freedom. Been doing these tours rather frequently on a bicycle, and even if i like that also very much, the freedom of a moped or scooter would be really really nice.
+
John.Smith
post 3.May.2012, 11:59 AM
Post #7

Yes but most hire companies have very strict insurance policies so you *may* have difficulty even hiring a moped with a Swedish License. Many have policies that state the customer must have a valid UK license... best bet is to call and ask them...

Hope it works out smile.gif

Another option is if you are english see if you can fudge a provisional license back home via parents address etc... May make it easier and will allow you to purchase something better for touring.
+
Thorfinn
post 3.May.2012, 12:33 PM
Post #8

Hej,

Since I come from that part of Scotland I should point out that some of the climbs are quite taxing for a loaded-up 50cc moped - but you probably know that! While you are in the North-West of Scotland, I really encourage you to spend a couple of days on Skye - it's a bit different!

Good luck, hope you have a great time anns a' Ghaidhealtachd (In the Highlands)

Slainte!
+
carterhayes
post 3.May.2012, 12:39 PM
Post #9

Thanks Thorfinn! I was born in Northern Sweden, but since visiting Scotland first time 5 years ago, i have to admit that i feel more home in Scotland than any place i have ever been to. It is the most beautiful part of the world i have been to, and has wilderness, civilization and four seasons in a day. Cant wait to go out to the islands. When i retire, i will move to Scotland.
+
Yorkshireman
post 3.May.2012, 04:15 PM
Post #10

Contact the DVLA, I'm pretty sure they used to have a rule that said You could not take the CBT if You had a non-UK drivers licence only.
+
Rick Methven
post 3.May.2012, 04:23 PM
Post #11

EU rules mean that you have to take courses/ lessons and licence in the country that you are resident. And must exchange your old say UK licence in the country that you are resident when it expires.
+
Yorkshireman
post 3.May.2012, 04:38 PM
Post #12

Are You Sure?

Or are You refering to the 3rd European Driving Licence directive that will harmonise across Europe the groups and rules, which doesnt come into effect until 19th January 2013.
+
John.Smith
post 3.May.2012, 05:40 PM
Post #13

Rick is right. Currently you have to exchange your national license for that of the country (EU) you reside in at time of expiry.

The OP could however if he was English and had an English address etc... potentially apply for and get a provisional UK license. It would mean that he would have in effect 2 licenses, there is an EU database for licenses but it is touch and go at the moment. I have an Irish mate who hold both a Swedish and Irish license (both technically valid but perhaps not *legal*)
+
carterhayes
post 3.May.2012, 06:17 PM
Post #14

I AM allowed to rent a car in GB and rest of Europe with my Swedish license. Question is, what more does it require to rent a moped (which i also may drive in Sweden due to my license) in UK or a 125cc Vespa? In Greece for example i was given a 90 cc Vespa for hire, but i doubt it was legal for me, since a Swedish drivers license sets a limit at 49cc. Perhaps it IS legal to drive a 125cc motorbike in Greece if you have a drivers license for car, perhaps not. Trying to find out what is legal in UK provide i have a drivers license for a car in Sweden.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: