The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Mobile phone woes

SIM suggestions/help

Meridia
post 12.Mar.2016, 06:34 AM
Post #1

So I'm going to be in Sweden again in June, and I'd prefer to not have a repeat of last year.

Last year I bought a SIM for my Motorola phone(which is unlocked) before I headed over here.

It recognized the SIM, and was able to connect to a provider in Copenhagen, and connected in Sweden.. but it wouldn't activate.

Comviq card through TouristSIM. Probably my first mistake there. Made sure to set the APN and such, still no dice.

It kept telling me I didn't have an account, but there was no way to set one up. Supposedly it's supposed to download some sort of software, and it just wouldn't.

I'd rather not have to buy a phone while I'm over here when I have a GSM unlocked device that I can theoretically use, if only the darn thing would actually work... suggestions? Or if I was doing something wrong?

I'd just use my current phone but alas, CDMA(Dear USA, please get with the times, thanks).
Go to the top of the page
+
Hallander
post 12.Mar.2016, 11:06 AM
Post #2

With an unlocked phone, these days put a sim from a new provider into your phone, and settings will be downloaded and automatically installed for you. !0 years ago I had Nokia phones which Comviq didnt recognise and had fiendish problems setting them up manually. Since then I have brought in both later Nokias and Android phones where the set up has just happened.

I dont really know a lot about phones in the USA but there are some incompatabilities. USA being big enough to ignore what the rest of us see as world standards. So if you really want to save hassle buy a 300 kr simple call/text phone, or a basic android for 550kr . Buy Comviq payg top ups from most shops. (Prices NetonNet)
+
Meridia
post 22.Mar.2016, 05:06 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Hallander @ 12.Mar.2016, 10:06 AM) *
With an unlocked phone, these days put a sim from a new provider into your phone, and settings will be downloaded and automatically installed for you. !0 years ago I had ... (show full quote)

Totally late replying.

Most of USA uses CDMA network, which works there and like maybe 2 other countries. We have 2 GSM providers. All GSM phones sold lately by those providers (ATT and T-Mobile ) are quad band phones, which will work in Sweden. US 4G LTE are different bands as well so some phones (like my current one) won't work.

Other devices (like my Galaxy Tab 4) will work if it's carrier lock is removed. This is the case with my Motorola.

It recognized the SIM but did not download and set up. I tried manual setup but no dice. Not speaking Swedish made CS a hassle too.

I'm pretty sure getting a "cheap" phone isn't going to happen, mostly because I'm going to be in the middle of nowhere relatively, and the person I'm seeing paid 900 for the cheapest thing they had. Part of why I wanted to deal with it now. No matter. I'll figure something out.
+
Gjeebes
post 23.Mar.2016, 08:58 PM
Post #4

Just pick up some old nokia phone on ebay that has EGSM 900/1800/1900. I have a 3720 that works in Sweden and in N.A. (Canada anyway).

Can find a used one for 20$ and if you get a new nokia battery, stby time is about 6-7 days with 7 hours talking time. Halebop pay-as-you-go sim (200kr) gives you 3000 free texts/month on a 200 kr top-up.

Not a so-called "smart" phone, but who needs one? And these old nokia are still in one piece and functioning after being dropped on the ground.
+
Meridia
post 24.Mar.2016, 01:08 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 23.Mar.2016, 07:58 PM) *
Just pick up some old nokia phone on ebay that has EGSM 900/1800/1900. I have a 3720 that works in Sweden and in N.A. (Canada anyway). Can find a used one for 20$ and if ... (show full quote)

I do. Actually.

I use Skype for international calls while overseas, and I need a phone that supports the app, so smartphone. :/
+
Hallander
post 24.Mar.2016, 11:13 AM
Post #6

Thanks for the info about US phones which unfortunately was of no interest to me. You dont have to pay 900 for a basic smart phone, I gave you a link to get one for 550. But probably your brand of Motorola is not sold in Sweden is one problem. If you look at https://www.comviq.se/kundservice/artikel/174 it tells you all you want about set up. You do know how to use Goolgle Translate don't you ? First text 123 and if that fails use the set up info given.
+

Reply to this topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: