The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Son's Swedish citizenship - please advise!

post 3.Oct.2005, 10:40 AM
Post #1

I recently gave birth to a baby boy and my Swedish husband and I are moving back to Canada or the USA come Feb. Here is the husband wants to make sure our son keeps his Swedish citizenship, I am born in husband in Sweden, therefore we both have EU status, and of course our son was also born here. The tricky part is I also have Canadian citizenship and an American green card. I will be applying for US citizenship later this year.

The problem is my husband does not think our son should give up his Swedish passport. Sweden allows for dual citizenship see my point..I want him to have American/Canadian.

Can anyone provide some input? Mainly..should my son keep his Swedish passport or give it up for Canadian/US status...remember both my husband and I are born in the European Union.
Go to the top of the page
*Mark Boy*
post 3.Oct.2005, 01:12 PM
Post #2

hej, to be honest I can't see that he needs to give up his citizenship nor does he have to become a US or Canadian citizen... I think you need to be in a country for 5 years before you can become a citizen.

Enjoy your move!
Go to the top of the page
post 3.Oct.2005, 04:28 PM
Post #3
Joined: 11.Sep.2005

Can't he keep his Swedish citizenship and have US/Canadian citizenship? I can't see a disadvantage to having both.

I would have thought that the main problem was deciding whether you're going to move to the US or Canada...
Go to the top of the page
post 3.Oct.2005, 06:13 PM
Post #4
Location: Stockholm
Joined: 3.Jun.2005

He can have citizenship in all three places. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
*J. L. Dixon*
post 3.Oct.2005, 08:20 PM
Post #5

FYI...Was your son born in the US? If so, then he qualifies as a US citizen under "jus solis", law of the land. He does not otherwise qualify for US citizenship. You are not a US citizen, therefore you cannot transmit US citizenship. If you become a US citizen you still will not be able to transmit US citizenship. Your son will have to meet the five year residency requirement.

How long have you been out of the US? Do you have a re-entry permit which would allow you to keep your green card while you're living temporarily abroad? If you have been out of the US for over a year, then you have effectively abandoned your US residency and are not legally entitled to the green card, and therefore, residency in the US. I STRONGLY recommend that you contact the US Consulate in Stockholm if/before you decide to move to the US.
Go to the top of the page
post 4.Oct.2005, 09:56 AM
Post #6

You said you wanted your son to have either US or Canadian citizenship. Sounds like Canada will be more welcoming.
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: