The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Child in school, the only non-swedish, not include

what options do we have

Svedallas
post 31.Oct.2017, 04:52 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Tenacious185 @ 31.Oct.2017, 04:13 PM) *
Pardon my ignorance on this topic - but do Swedish schools really just accept kids who speak NO Swedish into their classrooms and let them struggle with no support? How can th ... (show full quote)

Yes, the do. And it is very common. It is tough love.
Kids complain and struggle, but that is how it is.

Think about all the refugee kids who don't even speak a word of English. They learn, adapt, and they learn. But they do learn incredibly fast!
Go to the top of the page
+
Tenacious185
post 31.Oct.2017, 05:03 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 31.Oct.2017, 04:52 PM) *
Yes, the do. And it is very common. It is tough love.Kids complain and struggle, but that is how it is.Think about all the refugee kids who don't even speak a word of Engl ... (show full quote)

Ah, ok. Thanks for the explanation. I’ve never had to place a child in a foreign school system, so I really had no idea. I guess kids are pretty resilient. It’s us bitchy set-in-our-ways adults who are less inclined to adapt. wink.gif
+
IndianInStockholm
post 31.Oct.2017, 05:41 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (ToSheila @ 30.Oct.2017, 10:00 PM) *
Hej,Our child started with Swedish elementary school in September. Unfortunately, language barrier (hopefully it is only that!), is giving us (the parents) and him lots of ... (show full quote)

You can get him to have extra Swedish classes, either through school or privately. Speak with the principal. Try inviting some of the other kids and their parents home, maybe initiative from you might break some ice and give you more ideas.

Another option is going to a bilingual school, part english-part swedish but i dare say that he will probably move to his comfort zone there and stick with English. So like the others have said, perhaps you need to stick it out a little longer.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 31.Oct.2017, 07:19 PM
Post #19

It adds up to the fact that when you leave home, life is a lot harder for you...anywhere...and some feel/believe that Sweden is different and is the utopia they seek, but it isn't...

Like "the grass is greener", kind of thing...

P/S: Stockholm is sounding more like New York, than I would like to admit...
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: