The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

South Africans living in Umeå

Any others here? Want to meet up?

eurodreamer
post 3.May.2010, 02:55 PM
Post #16

My husband and I live in KZN. We're retirement age and are seriously considering moving to Skelleftea, or somewhere in Vasterbotten or Norrland, because I have an adopted daughter living there. The property prices are very attractive but we have so many things to think about before making an informed decision. I was born in the UK, but we'll never make it there financially, or in the other European countries..

Have any other ex-South Africans found it hard to get employment in Sweden? We won't be able to live on our savings over there, which means I'll need to do freelance work as my husband is quite a bit older. I'm an editor, writer and illustrator who doesn't speak Swedish. Any suggestions as to what sort of companies I need to approach? I was with the SABC (TV) for 19 years as a Special Projects Planner as well.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Go to the top of the page
+
*Vissie*
post 16.Dec.2010, 11:17 PM
Post #17

Still there? Ek woon hier bo in Luleå vir die afgelope 3 jaar en voor dit 10 jaar in Stockholm. Ken ´n hele paar Suid-Afrikaners hier in Swede (en weet van nog ´n paar) so daar is kontakte as mens bietjie soek. Stuur ´n e-pos op hendrik.visser@sweco.se dan chat ons bietjie.
+
eurodreamer
post 17.Dec.2010, 12:02 PM
Post #18

You don't need a visa if you have a British passport. Look on the Internet for info regarding your rights as a European Union member too.

Good luch
Cherry
+
*bones11*
post 21.Dec.2010, 06:55 PM
Post #19

Hi all!
Dit not know there are so many Boere here? Been here for 3 years and have 1 Afrikaaner friend!
Hope to hear from more.
Steven
+
*Othila*
post 23.Dec.2010, 09:16 AM
Post #20

oooh ek sien so uit om finaly daar te kan uitkom
ek en my verloofde is hard aan die soek vir werk in swede !!
julle wat almal daar is moe t n lieflike kers tyd he smile.gif
+
*roxsanne*
post 30.Oct.2011, 11:18 AM
Post #21

Hey there...

I am a south african moving to malmo in january and i would love to know some south africans!!
+
*bokka*
post 15.Mar.2012, 05:47 PM
Post #22

Hi,

I am going to be here in Stockholm for 6 months ... been here 2 Months already and haven't met any other boertjies.

Just wondering if anybody knows where one can find biltong here in Stockholm ...

If possible (which I doubt) some CASTLE LAGER.

Asseblief mense, dit sal so lekker wees.

Will be nice to meet other SAFFAs as well.

Dankie & praat weer
+
greendemon
post 27.Mar.2012, 10:02 AM
Post #23

@Bokka: Welkom in Stockholm

Jammer, daar is nie 'n druppel Castle hier te vinde nie... en geen biltong (wel gedroogde rendier-vleis).

Soek op Facebook vir die groep "The South Africa Society in Sweden".
Hulle het ook 'n algemene website: http://www.southafricasweden.se/
+
Bella3579
post 7.Aug.2013, 01:00 PM
Post #24

Hi everyone

I know this thread is quite old, but I am trying my luck. I am currently in a relationship with a man who lives in Stockholm, and if all goes according to plan, I should be relocating there next January. I see that you have all had varying experiences in terms of moving to Sweden, and I was wondering if any of you would mind telling me how you went about it?

Was it imperative to organize a job first, from South Africa? How did you go about doing that? What VISA did you apply for? Did you have to break the bank to make it across there?

Absolutely any information would be very much appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
+
Wildjay
post 7.Aug.2013, 04:44 PM
Post #25

Check out these groups on Facebook for help, very active and lots of people giving advice to other south africans in Sweden:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/28492987040/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/groups/135173558777/?fref=ts
+
Bella3579
post 3.Sep.2013, 05:41 PM
Post #26

Thanks very much, Wildjay
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: