The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Alone in Sweden after breaking up with a girl

All my friends were hers, now I've nobody

paria
post 8.May.2009, 08:33 PM
Post #16

to be alone in sweden isn't abnormal! =)
Go to the top of the page
+
CHL0E
post 8.May.2009, 08:41 PM
Post #17

Sorry to hear that.

Maybe now you can start to learn Swedish? And probably get to know some friends while you are doing that? Getting busy sometimes helps~: )
+
Mib
post 8.May.2009, 10:45 PM
Post #18

It's time to get out of your comfort zone and try loads of new things to get you out and mixing with people, be it English or Swedish. Be yourself and make a plan. From my personal experience, you mUST learn the language otherwise you will make your life more difficult. There is nothing more frustrating to be in a group of people speaking a language that you don't understand and people are laughing etc and you can't get involved in the joke etc.

Breaking up after 5 years will hurt and if you feel there is no chance to get back, you have to try and move on. Don't try to contact her and you might even find she calls you. Sweden is so full of lovely looking ladies, that you're almost spoilt for choice. So, chest out, shoulders back, straighten your back and go out with the intention of having fun. You will be surprised at what happens, especially now that Summer is coming.

Good luck
+
abitslow
post 8.May.2009, 11:43 PM
Post #19

yeah likewise,

welcome to sweden.
+
Claimer
post 9.May.2009, 06:37 AM
Post #20

Wow! Thx guys, didnt expect such a supportive audience:)

Well I know what you all say to be true and its gonna be fine as Ive joined the gym and have a few friends around(helps to have a computer;)
I work in Denmark and speak english at my job but if im gonna stay I must learn swedish, I bought myself a pc swedish language thing the other day so I will have to get into that..I mean I have picked up a little bit but am just not used to speaking it on an everyday basis.

I know it always feels bad in this situation and i know it will pass but you always go through that horrible place of self pity before you get better. I just have to get used to being alone again but that takes a bit of doing after having 2 relationships after 8 years..

Btw I am indeed in Malmö so if anyones up for a beer give us a shout..the new life starts here:)

Cheers
+
Claimer
post 9.May.2009, 08:17 AM
Post #21

Whose up for next friday? more the merrier:)
+
keano
post 9.May.2009, 08:29 AM
Post #22

Hey just seen your post

Theres loads of expats here in Malmö, not pulling you away from the local, but try meetup.com/malmö. its a good start. It actual people that want to meet up smile.gif
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 9.May.2009, 08:56 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (Claimer @ 9.May.2009, 09:17 AM) *
Whose up for next friday? more the merrier:)

I may be up for it...

Feel free to get in touch at
mark at markbase dot net.

I feel for you. I'm in my third relationship over seven years. Not exactly the same, I know, but I have some idea as to what you're feeling anyway.

Talk soon.
+
Claimer
post 10.May.2009, 08:04 AM
Post #24

Meetup..! gr8 thx, think I will do that:)

Im getting better by the second !!

Onwards..
+
alopeciaa
post 13.May.2009, 01:41 AM
Post #25

claimer don't worry,i am in same case as you even tought i am not in sweden,Maxis said it all,his advice is encouraginf even for me
good luck
+
*MDaDam*
post 21.May.2009, 07:28 AM
Post #26

Man I don't know what to tell you. Swedes are kind of assholes. They will cut you up like a piece of fish.

I had a different situation statesides with an amazing gal from Gothenburg. I too was a bit lazy with the Rosetta stone but eveyone there speaks English so what's the point.

Back to the point man... I understand... You fuck with one Swede you lose the whole meatball. They definitely hold tight to their kin. They are very loyal to their own. I would imagine that Brits get treated like Americans there. We can fit in just enough to be mildly comfortable. I guess you need to make a decision about whether or not she was worth thw whole package.

If it is her that you want... get her back and earn your spot back in the circle. Don't be with her to be in the circle.

Who wants to hang with Swedes if they don't have to?

I recently split with my Swedish fiance 6 weeks before the wedding. Her parents came on the annual visit, but this one was different. They came with a plan to take her home. She didn't want to leave. But what can I do... she's 26 and she left at her parents request. Not to mention is was during the most critical week for my medical school exam prep. They're all heartless bastards. Either way I would still do anything to be with her, which means finding myself in your position. Drop out of medical school and move to Gotherburg. Hope her family takes me back and then hope I'm not kicked out of the circle.

If I were you I would just move back to the UK or go for another country.

good luck with you endeavors... Swedes are like that drug you don't want but have to have or can't afford.

Again, good luck!

-MDaDam
+
Yanksalot
post 21.May.2009, 07:38 AM
Post #27

it wont take you much time to get back on your feet mate. Unless your a complete social moron, but even then it wont take too too long.
Which friday are you talking about heading out? I am up in hbg and go out with the not so silent Mark base now and then for a few (too many).
always willing to support a man down on his luck.
+
kanelbulle00
post 16.May.2011, 02:22 PM
Post #28

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread. But im going through exactly the same thing. My Swedish girlfriend of 5 years has just broken up with me.

I love her so much, and really dont know what to do about it. She says its over, can see no future with me, not much I can do about that.

Any advice anyone? Its also harder as I love her so much, and I know she loves me so much. She just doesnt think we are right for eachother for the future. I mean 5 years is a long time
+
post 16.May.2011, 02:34 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (kanelbulle00 @ 16.May.2011, 02:22 PM) *
Any advice anyone?

try harder at trolling.

and if in some unlikely event this is genuine (doubt it, sorry) then you really ought to seek the advice of friends rather than strangers.
+
kanelbulle00
post 16.May.2011, 02:36 PM
Post #30

Why in the lords name would I troll this.

It is genuine. I dont know anyone here, and it really is tough. I have spoken to all my friends overseas, but that difficult. Here in stockholm my network of friends is extremely limited and it sux
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: