The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Bladins' Board : You are doing it all wrong.

Shenanigans within the "provincial aristocracy"

SOIS.COM
post 21.Jun.2012, 06:25 PM
Post #1

Malmö and Skåne as a part of the greater Öresund region constitute the largest and most diverse population center in Scandinavia. There are no shortages of world class industries and economic opportunity for investors and entrepreneurs. With an ever increasing focus on green logistics and sustainability the area has a strong chance of remaining competitive in a post peak oil economy.

Attracting foreign capital and talent is a key component for growth in the region as the numerous exporters based in Öresund need schools for their expat's children. Often expats find themselves on a local contract yet, they still need a international school for their children as their homebase is unlikely to be Sweden. Along a similar vein entrepreneurs also prefer to place their children in English speaking schools for example, looking to the Swiss, a host to expatriate's par excellance it is clear to see the popularity of English speaking IB programs for children whom often go on to attend English speaking universities. Of importance is the IB designated school which offers curriculum shared by over 2,000 schools worldwide. The IB mark is one of distinction and transport-ability and its key that English speaking schools focus on being IB certified rather than a Swedish curriculum in English as it is easy for children relocating almost anywhere in the world to quickly pick up their education where they left off.

In Malmö there are limited options for parents seeking placement in an IB school for their children. There are two schools that offer the primary years programme (PYP), one school that offers the middle years programme (MYP), and one school that offers the Diploma Programme.

Bladins school is the only school in Malmö that offers the MYP programme. Bladins also offers a Swedish primary school program and many international parents feel that Bladins has been misusing fees charged to international school for the benefit of the Swedish side of the school. Conflict over this issue has been brewing for a decade as this video demonstrates .

Dissenters of the board are often bullied and harassed by parents loyal to the board with threats or other dirty tricks. A few examples, this document is from a parent who is a law professor at Lund university who threatened lethal violence against a dissenter. Recently, Bladins had an emergency general meeting (EGM) where the parents who arranged the EGM were threatened with being reported to the child welfare authorities which is noted in the EGM minutes found here.

A lawyer at the Swedish school inspectorate and Bladins' parent called the EGM organizers "Lunatics" (this is also mentioned in the EGM minutes). She made it clear that she was an attorney for the school inspectorate. What was unclear was if her opinion was as a parent or as a lawyer at the Swedish school inspectorate. The school inspectorate has done a poor job investigating reports regarding Bladins. Whether or not, it is a coincidence that the school inspector who authored the reports on Bladins works in the same office as the lawyer at the EGM and has co-authored several reports with her has tainted his work regarding Bladins is a matter we are investigating. It should be noted that the lawyer who made the lunatic comments is the wife of a board member of Bladins, who is also a lawyer.

Fortunately, the press is starting to pick up on the problems at Bladins as noted in a few articles already published. I reckon though it is only the start of many more to come.

Overall, what is most unfortunate about the Bladins issue is a few score of small minded provincial aristocrats are holding back economic development for the region as a whole...Many international companies are highly concerned about the Bladins situation and some have even been denied placement of their expats' children at Bladins. Most involved in cracking the Bladins case wide open do sincerely believe that Sweden is progressive and just society and that once all of the evidence is on the table justice will prevail.

This thread will be updated from time to time with new developments in the case. In the meantime, many of the people involved in the movement to free their children from the Bladins yoke would ask the politicians and society to please help us in reaching our goals.

1. Stop use of the International School as a cash cow and stop marginalization of International School parents.
2. Find an alternative solution for parents who wish to leave Baldins IS but stay in Malmö.

A few of us though want to reach a third goal as we feel if it is not reached that the same "provincial aristocracy" will continue to victimize international families for a long time to come.

3A. The lawyers associated with Bladins who are covering up malfeasance, using their influence unethically, and making threats of violence are disbarred from practicing law in Sweden ever again or teaching anyone about the law.

3B. Those involved in offering employment to a sitting board member are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

3C. The general ledger of the school is opened up and fully and audited by fully independent third parties and that any wrongdoing is openly published.

3D. The employer of the nominated board member candidate who made the threats against EGM organizers seriously considers whether or not they want someone with such ethical values representing their company.

Happy Midsommar

Disclaimer. This post does not represent all of the views of parents who are actively involved in solving the issues at Bladins particularly points 3A to 3D. However, it is important to keep in mind that well over 100 parents voted against the board at the AGM and several score supported the EGM organizers. In fact the head of the international parents association walked out of the AGM due to "International parents are being stampeded over".
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 21.Jun.2012, 08:06 PM
Post #2

Not sure why this was posted here, but it isn't the first time this school has been mentioned on here in a negative way.

I remember a thread on here a couple years back regarding this school and it's school board.

Whatever the situation, I wish you good luck.
+
byke
post 21.Jun.2012, 08:13 PM
Post #3

Yeah ... Here I found it.

http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?s...&hl=Bladins
+
gplusa
post 21.Jun.2012, 09:23 PM
Post #4

Obviously his "wife" (cough splutter) writing again.
+
Dazzler
post 22.Jun.2012, 09:24 AM
Post #5

Don't care. F-off troll.
+
SOIS.COM
post 22.Jun.2012, 11:49 AM
Post #6

Hyllie International School will not open until at least 2016. The relevance of this article is the Board of Bladins devised a strategy to cut the size of the international school in half based on a host of factors including increased competition.

On the other hand, the organizers of the EGM at Bladins demonstrated the board had made many miscalculations in reaching its decisions as this document from the EGM shows.

Additionally, a board member used a company he and his wife are directors of to compile and aggregate key financial data used in the board's original strategy. Such behavior is a conflict of interest that in most companies would fire such a person involved in the conflict of interest.

Overall, the board has veiled a political argument with an economic argument. At the end of the day the "provincial aristocracy" wants to maintain control of the board at all costs due to their apparent selfishness rather than do what is good for the region and treat international families equitably.

The problem that remains is over the years the board has pocketed a sum in kroner well into the 8 figures from the international side in additional fees. If a new school were to be set up for international families it would mean that the Swedish side would take over Bladins and end up with a school that the international side contributed significantly to. At the end of the day an equitable settlement is the international side walking away from the school with its fair share of assets to a strictly international school run for the benefit of international students alone. Bladins should not be in the business of teaching international students as long as money is taken from those international students and used to finance the children of the Swedish side rather than go towards the international students text books, more international teachers, and so on.
+
SOIS.COM
post 23.Jun.2012, 12:20 PM
Post #7

Bladins Exposé on Radio P4 24.June.2012

First preliminary report planned to run this Sunday on Swedish Radio P4 (Malmöhus) at 08.30; 09.30; 10.30; 11.30; 12.30; 13.30.

Followed Monday by (P4 Malmöhus) on 06.30; 07.30, 08.30 and 09.30.

In case you are not already a listener of P4 Malmöhus the program is here: Frequency 102 Mhz in the Malmö area (89,5 Mhz in Skåne)

The news will also be published at this link after the broadcast.
+
SOIS.COM
post 24.Jun.2012, 01:59 PM
Post #8

Regarding the interview on P4 radio with Eva Edenhammer the chairperson of the board of Bladins.

At the end of the report she states "I do want to comment on this case. I choose to do it next week when we have an answer (from the School Inspectorate)".

How does she know when the report by the School Inspectorate will be released? According to sources who have been in contact with the school inspectorate requesting who has received the case files there is no mention of the school inspectorate mentioning when the case will be completed.

The school inspectorate (SI) office in Lund seems to have a serious conflict of interest when investigating Bladins and if they are withholding information from the public regarding the case then they may be involved in collusion or obstruction of justice. The conflict stems from an employee of the school inspectorate is also a parent at Bladins and at the EGM in May called the parents who organized the EGM lunatics (as noted in the OP) and it also happens her husband is a board member of Bladins.

The SI in Lund has dragged its heels on cases against Bladins where the average processing time is 4 or so months to sitting on cases regarding Bladins for a year in some cases. At this point it seems prudent the SI office in Lund needs to be investigated under the mantra of "who is judging the judges".
+
*LibbyStaples*
post 24.Jun.2012, 06:42 PM
Post #9

The IS parents have been working hard to have their rights respected. Management has treated them like dirt. Malmö City doesn't look good allowing this school to be some kind of flagship for international education in the area.
+
gplusa
post 24.Jun.2012, 09:19 PM
Post #10

Joined today. There's a shock.
+
SOIS.COM
post 26.Jun.2012, 11:33 AM
Post #11

New Report on Radio P4 Malmöhus "Parents are enraged with Bladins" (In Swedish).

A few comments about this report.

1. Bladins is run as a foundation "stiftelse" which means the money that goes in to it is similar to entering a black hole in terms of transparency. Not only international parents pour money into it but the Swedish government as well yet, neither one can get a clear answer in terms of an independent financial report on how the money is distributed among the students.

2. Eva Edenhammer, the chair of the school, comments she does not want to release the Bladins' financials electronically due to security issues. Bladins is not a top secret government project at the end of the day its a school. If Bladins had nothing to hide they would welcome the financial records to be analyzed by an independent third party whose investigative focus is seeing just how the money in the school is distributed among the students.

3. From year to year, board to board, they have always referred to the audit of the books by a certified auditor as evidence the board is using the funds properly. What is not stated is the auditors look to ensure the laws are complied with not how the funds are distributed among the students.

In sum, if Bladins wanted to end the accusations right away they would prove over the last 5 years that no money was taken from the international side to fund other parts of the school. What does Bladins have to hide?
+
Kalyissa
post 26.Jun.2012, 07:04 PM
Post #12

My boyfriends nephew (swedish) went to that school up untill last year (went on to higher then) since his father used to be a teacher there when he was still alive. I have heard nothing but good things however regarding the school and everyone I saw there seemed happy when we visited it for various occasions.
+
SOIS.COM
post 28.Jun.2012, 04:55 PM
Post #13

The following article regarding Bladins gymnas is written by Nora Jawad and appears in the June 15 edition of City Malmö (in Swedish) on page 4.

I did not feel good enough. On the eve of school choice, I visited Bladins high school with my boyfriend also a classmate to see if Bladins appealed to me. I experienced something that aroused varied emotions.

I went alone to the registry and the first question posed to me was "do you speak Swedish?" Frankly, I answered "yes" while on the inside I felt deeply offended. Sometimes the reaction to a veiled girl who herself has taken the decision to wear a religious symbol, to cover the hair and body, I concluded that half the people of Malmö have an antiquated way of thinking. I was born here and have obtained the same level of proficiency in Swedish as an ethnic Swedish can.

What causes bias? Is Malmö divided into two classes separated by an invisible social barrier? Where the upper class don't know anything about those who live in, "the ghetto". Or are people just naturally biased?

For example, when a Bengali consultant dressed in a traditional Indian costume was giving a lecture at Malmö's theater college. She was thought to be a cleaner, but the school was dismayed when they learned that she actually would hold lecture.

To blend in with the "fine" a person must be adapt with them by mimicking them. No one, especially the “new guy”, can be odd. All must follow a certain pattern and behave in a particular way. Nods, bows, and greetings, you get free when you fit in. We must not forget to dress like them. If you have a different point of view or look differently, the focus shifts to you being one of the plain faces of the masses and being asked unnecessary questions that make you feel stupid.

I looked at my friend's way of sharing codes with the staff. I realized that you must follow their code, and then I felt that I must change to fit in, which was a sacrifice I was not prepared to do. Instead of being supported to progress, I was dissed, huh? And depressed. Confidence fell and instead of moving forward I took a step back.

For the first time I felt that I was not good enough, I felt that something was missing. Do I need more designer clothes, 15cm taller, or just a uncovered head and a smooth tongue. It seems I need more than just my good grades, to fit in at Bladins. This was absolutely nothing to me.
+
SOIS.COM
post 7.Jul.2012, 07:03 AM
Post #14

Article from July 6th In Sydsvenskan regarding bullying at Bladins. "A Student at Bladins was beaten and bullied for years".

The Child and Student Representative department (BEO) , a part of school inspectorate, has criticized Bladins for not taking the violations seriously enough.

Bladins has never implemented a formal policy in line with SI or BEO standards, as is required by schools, on how to handle bullying. BEO has given Bladins until September 28th to implement the following.

... in recurrent knowledge of violations immediately adopt a comprehensive and thorough investigation.

... ensure that measures are taken to ensure that the violations cease.

... monitor and evaluate the measures taken.

... ensure procedures for investigation and action.

... anchor the routines as part of operations.
+
byke
post 7.Jul.2012, 01:10 PM
Post #15

Dear SOIS,
I do sympathize with your situation.
But in an ideal world what are you hoping to achieve?

The reason I ask is because in the past I too have been affected by a similar experience regarding education and double standards and half assed issues regarding to that of a "international" child. And as this has been an issue that has been prolific with this school for a good amount of time, I must ask why you keep on focusing your attention to this cause rather than move said child?

So my question is, do the issues at Bladins effect your child's education or financial situation at home?

I may sound rather jaded, but as I am sure you have grown to realize by now that changes in such situations are not always very fast. And when it comes to schools for "international" children, such issues are often overlooked or swept under the rug. Unless it could effect either a native swedish child or their parent.

What I am saying is, if this problem has persisted for such a long time and is having a detrimental effect on your child and their education. Could any fix in hindsight ever cover the time lost while arguing over this for your childs education? Since it will end up on the childs head to try and recuperate lost time.

Obviously their is also the ideal of hoping any changes made today could benefit others in the future, but obviously the welfare of your child must come first. And if the school is failing your child then this must be addressed first and foremost, as the cost in arguing or trying to rectify such issues must be too high a cost tin relation to the time spent on this so far (in regards to your childs education).

So would it not be better to cut your losses and move on?

Obviously its not a comfortable situation for anyone, as its almost like admitting defeat.
But the greater cause should not be overlooked, and that is your child.

I may have over analyzed the situation, but it seems that so much attention has been spent on the school and its short comings that it seems effort and time spent on it has been a bad investment in regards to other things that may have been achievable given the same resources.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: