The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Secure space for short stay in Östersund

Help in Jämtland

geodesyreshelp
post 25.Nov.2011, 03:35 PM
Post #1

Hello. I am from England and temporarily in Östersund for geodetic research. I have already visited Portugal, Turkey and Denmark this year. I am seeking a secure space to live out of a tent until the end of January, preferably under cover because although there is a lack of snow now it will arrive soon. My visit is not funded by a big company or British government but through small private donations so I cannot afford to stay in paid accommodation and hotels. In return I can help out, cook and provide a good English sense of humour. I will feed myself and cover all my personal expenses.

You wouldn’t really notice me around as I am out all day, only during the night time when I come to sleep. Please message me if you feel you can help, we can meet for a friendly chat and a coffee. Thank you.
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 25.Nov.2011, 04:13 PM
Post #2

I cannot help with your request, but am curious - what is it that you are researching?

~~~PDX~~~
+
johnjohn
post 25.Nov.2011, 04:18 PM
Post #3

arctic survival.
+
geodesyreshelp
post 25.Nov.2011, 04:31 PM
Post #4

Correct and earth sciences. Hence Portugal and Turkey for summer, Denmark for autumn and Sweden for winter. The snow is very late again though!
+
David S
post 25.Nov.2011, 05:24 PM
Post #5

Plenty of old loggers huts in the forests around Östersund. I stayed overnight in a few when I was living up that way.

If you're on facebook there's an Östersund group where you could post your message.

The camping grounds on Frösön are probably cheap at this time of year.
+
geodesyreshelp
post 25.Nov.2011, 05:47 PM
Post #6

I am in the forests since I arrived, but am mindful of the security of my possessions being away from my base for long periods during the day and the condition of my equipment with colder temperature and heavy snow soon to arrive.

Facebook was my next stop!
+
Puffin
post 25.Nov.2011, 06:42 PM
Post #7

Can you afford a youth hostel? Many offer cheap accomodation with suecure lockers available.

There are also the camping huts at campsites which lock and also have the advantage of a wood burning stove for when the temperatures hit the minus 30sC
+
geodesyreshelp
post 30.Nov.2011, 05:14 PM
Post #8

I investigated both before I arrived, they are outside of my daily budget.

An empty room, shed, garage would be greatly appreciated - anything with cover that can be secured.
+
skogsbo
post 30.Nov.2011, 05:57 PM
Post #9

you could have built something by now! Ask some local farmer/foresters where they would like a shooting hide / stand for next year, then build yourself a basic shelter.
Or as mentioned there will be loads of old huts, failing that ask locally, you might have to give up a days work in the forest or on a farm in return, otherwise why should be bother giving some random foreign tramp a place to sleep?

Buy an old estate car and just live in the back, although cars are very cold to sleep in, they just radiate any heat away.
+
geodesyreshelp
post 30.Nov.2011, 07:05 PM
Post #10

Thankfully you Sir, are the only individual I have come into contact with who has been less than a pleasure to encounter. You do Sweden a great disservice.

I have bartered such arrangements in other places, but I explained earlier in the thread why the structures you describe would be unsuitable during the winter. I can assure anyone they would not be facilitating 'a tramp'. Unless that is they carry laptops around with them here, instead of scavenging for food.
+
skogsbo
post 30.Nov.2011, 08:21 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (geodesyreshelp @ 30.Nov.2011, 06:05 PM) *
Thankfully you Sir, are the only individual I have come into contact with who has been less than a pleasure to encounter. You do Sweden a great disservice.

you sir, take life and internet forums too seriously. But come on, you're a Brit (as I am), you must have a bit Ray Mears yearning to break out. I realised you must have laptop or mobile to charge unless you are posting here using special powers? (but then why would you need to ask for home).

Your best bet is to go door knocking, or ask around if someone has a room to let on a very cheap basis. Your chances of finding a fellow Brit who has space and lives near where you want to be is low.

Either way I'm keeping your thread at the top for you!!
+
PDX
post 30.Nov.2011, 10:01 PM
Post #12

Your best bet is to go door knocking, or ask around if someone has a room to let on a very cheap basis. Your chances of finding a fellow Brit who has space and lives near where you want to be is low.

That's right, apparently plenty of Swedes living in nice villas are willing to get their driveways paved by eager and skilled Brits. If you can help out, they'll even pay you handsomely; just make sure you have a bit of Irish accent.

~~~PDX~~~
+
geodesyreshelp
post 4.Dec.2011, 01:56 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 30.Nov.2011, 08:21 PM) *
you sir, take life and internet forums too seriously. But come on, you're a Brit (as I am), you must have a bit Ray Mears yearning to break out. I realised you must have l ... (show full quote)

I do not consider attempting to demean people by labelling them as 'tramps' to be good British sense of humour.

I continue to welcome offers, suggestions and all helpful advice. Thank you.
+
skogsbo
post 4.Dec.2011, 03:11 PM
Post #14

You are still holding onto life too tight! I thought you said you would be good company? While you have no where to doss, try looking up the meaning of tramp and see how close you are. In nz if you go tramping, you go for a walk in the wilds, so see, the words tends to fit quite well!
Ps. Keep smiling, winter kicks in this week, an old person might take you in if you shovel lots of snow.
+
geodesyreshelp
post 13.Dec.2011, 03:28 PM
Post #15

Nothing wrong with my sense of humour, your material is just crap! One should hope you are never in the need of temporary assistance.

Bumping this in the hope a kind person can assist. I am now working out of an ice sculpture! smile.gif

Many thanks.
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: