The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Finding apartment to rent in Uppsala

Best method for finding one?

ITkiwi
post 13.Nov.2010, 08:17 AM
Post #1

Hej Hej,

We have just started looking for an apartment to rent and have been using http://www.blocket.se/ to date.

Twice now I have heard the comment from Swedish friends that the 'standard' method in Sweden is to join one of the websites that charge you a joining/monthly fee who then 'keep you in the loop' (although no one could tell me which website to use).

Had a quick search and the first one I checked out contained out of date listings and from my own experience (albeit back in NZ) most of these types of sites are just money making schemes and actually offer you no real service.

Another factor re: renting in Uppsala is obviously the student population which makes it somewhat more difficult (even though we are better financially equipped to afford the higher rental dwellings than most students (I can only presume this assumption is correct, I know back home all students are broke - as I too was in my student days).

So my question is;

Does anyone have any real / positive experiences in dealing with a particular agency or website that worked out?

Any info much appreciated

Cheers

P.S - We will be looking to buy in a year or so once I have sold back in NZ (where housing market is currently f$%ked)
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 13.Nov.2010, 09:36 AM
Post #2

Renting in Uppsala is a bit of a nightmare at the moment because of the crisis in student housing has maxed out this year as the number of students peaks.

What type of apartment are you looking for? Size/Price/location?

Can these Swedish friends not give you some tips on where to look?

Are you working? As sometimes an e-mail within the company can bring results
+
ITkiwi
post 13.Nov.2010, 03:21 PM
Post #3

Thanks Puffin.

We have literally just started looking this week so am asking Swedish family & friends but thought I'd check TL too.

I haven't started working (YET) but my wife has so good point about sending e-mail from her work email address - will do so from now.

In terms of size we only need a 1 bedroom as is only for a year or so but would look at a 2 bedroom as well if needed to (We don't really have a minimum m2 (as long as not a closet) and not interested in being a border or renting out somebody's basement - we are currently staying in a nice apartment in town with a family member but now that we are settling in simply want/need to get our own place happening - you know how quickly things can turn when you spend toooo long with family/friends etc no matter how well you get on).

In terms of location - as centrally located as possible (ideally not more than say 4 or 5k away from city centre but beggers can't be choosers so I guess we would look anywhere that's half decent)

In terms of price I guess the location will determine the price but are hoping to spend no more than 6 - 7000 kr per month.

Cheers
+
Malibu Stacy
post 13.Nov.2010, 04:26 PM
Post #4

The situation in Uppsala is getting a little better now that the beginning of the academic year is over.

I would highly recommend that you place an ad on blocket, with a bit of background about yourselves and what you're looking for.

I study in Uppsala and I know a few people who placed ads and got several offers. Given the current accommodation squeeze, some apartment owners are a little reluctant to list their places on blocket knowing that they'll received an avalanche of calls and emails from desperate students.

Good luck!
+
ITkiwi
post 13.Nov.2010, 10:18 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Malibu Stacy @ 13.Nov.2010, 04:26 PM) *
I would highly recommend that you place an ad on blocket, with a bit of background about yourselves and what you're looking for.

Thanks Malibu - solid advice - will do (Competition looks fierce - I've seen a few ads on there from other apartment hunters complete with big cheesy smiles ;-))

Nice one
+
Opalnera
post 13.Nov.2010, 11:32 PM
Post #6

We bought, for this very reason.
+
ITkiwi
post 6.Jan.2011, 12:29 AM
Post #7

We are still looking and am willing to spend around 10,000kr per month for something in central Uppsala and decent (anything from a 1 bedroom up to 3) if anyone knows anyone. Ideally for about 6 months until we buy something.

Cheers.
+
ITkiwi
post 14.Jan.2011, 02:59 PM
Post #8

My planets must be in alignment or some shit.

16 days ago I found a fantastic job - then today we just secured an awesome 3 bedroom rental apartment in Uppsala with our baby due in 6 weeks . . . come on 2011 !!

Am soooooooo f$#king stoked

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
+
irbdavid
post 2.Jul.2011, 08:15 PM
Post #9

@ITKwiki
Care to say where you had success finding an apartment? I'm in a similar position, looking for somewhere in Uppsala, and it would be good to know where to look...
+
ITkiwi
post 21.Jul.2011, 11:58 AM
Post #10

Hey irbdavid,

We looked at Blocket continuously but it was actually an ad that we placed in Blocket that someone then contacted us on.

Good luck mate
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: