The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Can I afford a loan to buy an apartment?

how to afford a housing loan

feiyunzi1988
post 17.Jan.2018, 04:07 PM
Post #1

Hi all,

I am a PhD student at Stockholm, earning roughly 23,000 kr per month, but only 11,000 of my salary taxable in Sweden. I live here with my wife, pregnant now so not working.

Any one has any idea that if I would be crazy to go to a bank and ask for a loan to buy a small apartment? Just sick of looking for rental apartments, sending out applications and receiving nothing at all.

Thanks!

feiyun
Go to the top of the page
+
the_dome
post 17.Jan.2018, 08:07 PM
Post #2

Tricky question. Unless you have a lot of cash on your account, I don't think so. Is your wife Swedish/EU citizen? Are you?
+
Gjeebes
post 17.Jan.2018, 08:17 PM
Post #3

"I am a PhD student..."

Well, they might give you a loan in accordance with your ability to pay it back; so I am guessing it would be a small loan, and not enough to buy a flat.

But you have 4 years only. Then no job, right? So, I am guessing they will see you as a risk, plus, what is your paperwork situation, after graduation? You have, what is it, 6 months, 1 year to get sorted, or you must leave right?

Might be worth a try, but I would hazard a guess that bird won't fly.
+
vosovicd
post 17.Jan.2018, 09:14 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 17.Jan.2018, 09:17 PM) *
But you have 4 years only. Then no job, right? So, I am guessing they will see you as a risk, plus, what is your paperwork situation, after graduation? You have, what is it ... (show full quote)

PhD students are eligible for permanent residency (PUT) after 4 years.
+
feiyunzi1988
post 19.Jan.2018, 09:15 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (the_dome @ 17.Jan.2018, 08:07 PM) *
Tricky question. Unless you have a lot of cash on your account, I don't think so. Is your wife Swedish/EU citizen? Are you?

Nej, that's another problem yes. Neither of us is EU citizen. But I can get a permanent residence permit after 4 years full-time PhD study. Thanks.
+
feiyunzi1988
post 19.Jan.2018, 09:17 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 17.Jan.2018, 08:17 PM) *
"I am a PhD student..."Well, they might give you a loan in accordance with your ability to pay it back; so I am guessing it would be a small loan, and not enough to ... (show full quote)

Thanks! Long-term residence won't be a big problem. Many PhD students are buying apartments in Stockholm with a loan. But surely my condition would be judged by the banks as more risky.
+
axiom
post 19.Jan.2018, 02:57 PM
Post #7

If you are the only one working, it is going to be hard unless you have a huge deposit.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: