The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Moving from the U.S. to Sweden --- with firearms..

Confused about the rules for importing firearms

rfmann
post 25.Aug.2010, 05:23 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 25.Aug.2010, 04:15 PM) *
Did you own, carry use guns outside of hunting or target shooting in your country of origin?

I used guns for sport at various points in my life and in different countries, including the one that issued my passport. Does that have any bearing on the ability to import firearms when moving to Sweden?

RFM
Go to the top of the page
+
Rick Methven
post 25.Aug.2010, 05:50 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (rfmann @ 25.Aug.2010, 06:23 PM) *
I used guns for sport at various points in my life and in different countries, including the one that issued my passport. Does that have any bearing on the ability to import f ... (show full quote)

Being an EU citizen has no bearing on the import of arms to Sweden. It is just that The majority of EU countries have restriction on gun licences, and to where and when you can use a weapon. 50 years ago in the UK, I had regular visits to our farm, from the local Bobby checking on the safety of my shotguns. Yet you started off thinking you could just bring a whole arsenal into the country and keep them in your house
+
rfmann
post 25.Aug.2010, 06:12 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 25.Aug.2010, 04:50 PM) *
Yet you started off thinking you could just bring a whole arsenal into the country and keep them in your house

I started off by "wondering whether and how I can take them with me." Note the "whether"?

Which some folks here took the time to respond to, which was helpful and for which I am grateful. I am not quite sure what your beef is now, or whether that even matters.

RFM
+
gplusa
post 25.Aug.2010, 10:45 PM
Post #19

I'm sure that you don't want to join a club. But, considering the hassle you'll have trying to gain a permit to keep your guns (let alone play with them), it might be a small price to pay to get what you want. No country is going to give you the weapons freedom that it appears you have today. Join a club, get your Swedish licence, and you can play cowboys as much as you like.
+
rfmann
post 25.Aug.2010, 11:06 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (gplusa @ 25.Aug.2010, 01:45 PM) *
Join a club, get your Swedish licence, and you can play cowboys as much as you like.
After receiving input from other posters and eventually locating the applicable law on the matter, I have decided to not import my guns and not join a club. I hope you (and that other gentleman) will excuse me for making my own choices in this regard. Thanks!

RFM
+
gplusa
post 25.Aug.2010, 11:11 PM
Post #21

Fair enough. You only had 2 choices, and that was one of them. Wise move.
+
mkvgtired
post 26.Aug.2010, 05:34 AM
Post #22

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 25.Aug.2010, 05:03 PM) *
First question: Sir, you stated on a post on the Local that you use this arsenal of weapons that you own ALL THE TIME, are you a member of the armed forces in a battle situat ... (show full quote)

I would say I use my guns "all the time". The most I have ever killed with them is a piece of paper (or a pop can). From what I remember you saying in previous posts you used guns for animal control on a farm in the UK when you were growing up. So if we are making a relative argument, who is the one going on a shooting spree?

Also, the Czech Republic has relatively lax gun laws including the right to carry. So instead of being so critical of US gun laws (like you have been several other posts) redirect some of your cowboy comments to your fellow EU member state instead.
+
flobalob
post 6.Oct.2010, 06:03 PM
Post #23

I am also a firearms owner who would like to import firearms into Sweden. The difference between myself and the OP is that I am a licenced firearms manufacturer and dealer, and I would like to continue my business in Sweden. This would entail importing many firearms, parts, and equipment. I am also UK citizen and am presently a resident of Canada.

Can anyone offer advise ?

Thanks
+
Furu
post 6.Oct.2010, 06:54 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (flobalob @ 6.Oct.2010, 07:03 PM) *
I am also a firearms owner who would like to import firearms into Sweden. The difference between myself and the OP is that I am a licenced firearms manufacturer and dealer, ... (show full quote)

http://www.tullverket.se/en/
+
flobalob
post 6.Oct.2010, 08:27 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Furu @ 6.Oct.2010, 06:54 PM) *

Thanks smile.gif
+
Rick Methven
post 7.Oct.2010, 06:26 AM
Post #26

QUOTE (flobalob @ 6.Oct.2010, 09:27 PM) *
Thanks smile.gif

Attached Image
+
byke
post 7.Oct.2010, 08:47 AM
Post #27

QUOTE (flobalob @ 6.Oct.2010, 07:03 PM) *
I am also UK citizen and am presently a resident of Canada.. Can anyone offer advise ?

A brit with pidgin engrish? yeah right ...
maybe some others may be able to offer you some "advise" LOL
+
jerdog3
post 17.Feb.2016, 10:24 AM
Post #28

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 24.Aug.2010, 08:26 PM) *
If you do not want to join a gun club, where do you think you could use your arsenal?In the majority of European countries, the only reason to legally own a firearm is either ... (show full quote)

I can't even wrap my mind around this statement. I'm not a nationalist, or an outspokenly proud American, but the very idea that I couldn't own a gun, whether for 'self defense', or any other non threatening reason, is insane. Utterly insane.
I'm American, and my wife is Swedish. We may one day move to Sweden, and until I read this topic, I never thought about what problems my guns would be.
I know from studying in Sweden that America is looked at as a very violent country. I don't want to try to have that conversation here, but I will say that more than 99% of all gun owning Americans will never shoot anybody, or fire their weapons in anger (not including law enforcement or military).
I have several AR15's, a shotgun (Mossberg. I'd really just be bringing it home right? haha ;-), a .22LR, and several handguns. I've never been in a fistfight, and I haven't been in a heated argument since some kid stole my pillow in summer camp, so I don't feel I pose any danger to anyone. This may just be crazy American thinking, but why wouldn't I be allowed to own a gun? Or a lot of guns?
As to the question above, "where do you think you could use your arsenal?". Maybe a shooting range (I guess gun club is the Swedish equivalent), but maybe just on private land. Obviously not a house in the city, but I know people who own lots of land in the country. If done safely, why would that be a problem?
I am rather nervous about moving there now. I know some of you must think I'm crazy, but just think about any hobby, or anything, that you are passionate about, that you've been studying, investing in, collecting, and training in for most of your life, and realize that you may have to give it all up. This is devastating.
Somebody please tell me this will be OK. Tell me that if I would have read a little further down this thread some government official chimed in and said it's actually easy to move to Sweden with guns. Please! This would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Haha.
+
TLSucks
post 17.Feb.2016, 12:00 PM
Post #29

For hunting rifles you need a hunting license, which you will get after passing a hunting course. For hand guns you need to be a member of a shooting club for at least 6 months and pass a test. You are only allowed to own the type of guns the shooting club competes in, e.g. AR15 is used in clubs that compete in dynamic shooting. For each gun type there may be additional tests and membership periods.

Each firearm requires its own licence and you are allowed to have up to 6 rifles on your hunting license (or .22 single shot handguns for small animals) and 8 rifles or 10 hand guns on your club license. Shot guns can be owned on both the hunting or the club license (if the club competes in clay target shooting).

Shooting at you own property is generally fine if you live on the countryside far from any neighbours.

The problem with bringing guns is that you need a license to bring the guns, and if you bring them after more than a year of residency (which may be the time needed to get the license) they are not counted as your personal belongings and you may need to pay import duty/tax.
+
Hallander
post 17.Feb.2016, 02:53 PM
Post #30

"Utterly insane." "I am rather nervous about moving there now." "I know some of you must think I'm crazy" " This would be funny if it wasn't so sad."

The lack of understanding is just mind boggling. And the blindness to the fact that unfettered gun ownership is hotly debated right now in USA. You cant drive a car without passing a test. You can't go out and buy deadly poison. You cant just go out and buy explosives. There are loads of things the law prevents you from doing that are a danger to others. Yet total freedom to own and use a gun is ok ! Wow !

"We may one day move to Sweden". No, please don't.
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: