The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Boyfriend in Sweden - moving to Sweden

How to get personal number as soon as possible

Svea77
post 7.Jan.2017, 11:55 AM
Post #1

Dear friends,

Please help, I am sure there are some of you that were in the same situation... Tack!

I am in the relationship with Swedish man for almost 5 years. It is wonderful long distance relationship where we traveled a lot to each other homes, staying for 2 weeks in Stockholm, then some weeks at my place (Zagreb, Croatia - the member of EU). Now we decided that I will move to Sweden this year. So I inspected imigriationverket and all the rules to get a residence permit. It seems that whole process takes up to 16 months. Then I suppose I would get my personal number and would be allowed to go to SFI, etc.
Additional thing (and very important) is that I have a daughter that needs to start school there next autumn. Will she be able to start if I don't have the personal number (or she? Does kids get personal numbers at all?)

I feel there has to be some other solution for me getting a personal number sooner.
I want to move to Sweden and start learning Swedish. I really want to get the personal number.

Please note that I am EU citizen, that I am employed now where I live (and I can stay employed if that makes it easier to get the personal number - as it is my brother's company, so he can keep me for a while...)...

Any advice would help me a lot, please be so kind!

Thanks,
Ines
Go to the top of the page
+
Case officer
post 8.Jan.2017, 10:23 AM
Post #2

Get a job then bring an employment certificate, your first salary slip, your child's birth certificate and your Croatian passports to the tax authority to register as a Swedish resident.
+
Sthlm83
post 8.Jan.2017, 10:56 PM
Post #3

Re. your daughters schooling: there's been a precedent a year or so ago that states that all kids in Sweden have a right to education, so it shouldn't be a problem for your daughter to start school (this was in regards to the massive influx of refugees and the unclear status of refugee kids and their right to attend school before they've been "properly processed". Basically the consensus was that all kids in Sweden have a right to education, even if they're "paperless"*).

*cue Savage to add some link about a conspiracy theory regarding the Swedish government and schooling. @Savage: maybe there's something about PISA you could post?
+
GamlaSkogHisingHope
post 9.Jan.2017, 09:19 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Case officer @ 8.Jan.2017, 10:23 AM) *
Get a job then bring an employment certificate, your first salary slip, your child's birth certificate and your Croatian passports to the tax authority to register as a Swedish resident.

I'm afraid that this is Sweden and your chances of any job are negligible. Though, in your circumstances you could still move to Sweden to allow your daughter to start her education, but be prepared for a fight through the slow grind of Swedish bureaucracy; the understanding and application of the law can be arbitrary in Sweden. When we lived in Sweden it took us 2 years to receive the child benefits that we were entitled to! The same goes for SFI, insofar as you shouldn't need a personal number to enrol, but you'll find that some classes will insist you having this for enrolment.
+
Svea77
post 9.Jan.2017, 10:43 AM
Post #5

Hello and thank you everyone!!! I really appreciate every information that pops here! You are so kind!

So what you are saying is that I shouldn't worry so much for the school for my daughter - that will happen anyhow (if I have or not have personal number)...

And you really think that I can come to SFI without personal number? I had some communication with them and understood that I should have it.

I checked in detail migrationverket and realized that it will take 14 - 16 months before I can get residence permit. But getting personal number is not connected with that, isn't it? Maybe I can get the number in skateverket if I am coming from EU country and have the address on which I can be written on?

Please comment!
+
Svea77
post 9.Jan.2017, 10:45 AM
Post #6

On SFI page I found this:

Who can study SFI?
- You must be registered in the City of Stockholm (the municipality) if you are not a resident you have to contact your municipality.
Check if you are a resident in the City of Stockholm
- You must have a residence permit and you must be at least 16 years old.
- You should have received your full national registration number.

Do I have to have any of this or all of it?
+
GamlaSkogHisingHope
post 9.Jan.2017, 10:53 AM
Post #7

Maybe:

http://blogs.studyinsweden.se/2016/01/17/s...ersonal-number/
+
Svea77
post 9.Jan.2017, 11:09 AM
Post #8

Oh wow, this is great great link!!!!
Now I went back to SFI website and found another thing that somehow I overlooked:

EU / EEA Citizens or citizens of Switzerland
If you are an EU / EEA citizen or citizen of Switzerland you should have a right of residence (for work, studies) and be a resident in Stockholm. Bring your passport (to show citizenship).

Seems then it is not so hard after all!
Oh dear, this would be totally amazing biggrin.gif

Thank you so much GamlaSkogHisingHope
+
sanniz
post 9.Jan.2017, 02:53 PM
Post #9

Hope you gonna get all easier than we still fight us through since soon 5 1/2 months back.

First.. Is the daughter his? Not sure because you mentioned she needed start in school.
If it is, it might go faster. But she should be able go to school.

SFI they say you should be able to go without personal number as long as you are an EU citizen. But that´s not true all way out. Some cities might say you need one. I had luck with my englishman, and he could go to SFI. But it´s a long que there as well! So if you can some swedish before it´s better for you and your family.

Next thing is work. Lately it look like people that even been living here for long time got problem to get permit staying. Even if they have a job! Some have been forced leaving the country sadly enough for small mistakes, often from a company they worked for here a lot of years back in time. Because they didn´t get the job the way some count (that should be through Arbetsförmedlingen).
But if you have a job in Sweden it shouldn´t be a problem.
But Arbetsförmedlingen can help you get a tempory number (samordningsnummer) if you search work through them.

To search for a relation permit... It takes months! We still waiting for that one.
Not sure when we got answer.

Another way have 150 000 swedish kronor on a bank account plus a complete health insurrance (the last it´s hard to get through to because Försäkringskassan can´t even tell what´s ok from your country even before you start pay a lot for at least one year).

To open bank account here can be hard too. You need at least a temporay number, but even then it can be problem getting one. And if you got one you probably got one with almost no service at all. Mean you can´t pay your bills from home so on.
Personal number is all what counts.
And without personal number it´s alot things you can´t do over here. Cause all important stuff are build around that number!

I hope it goes better... And if you have proof of 5 years together it´s a good thing.
Not sure if it had been easier if you both already was married before moving here.

Good Luck!
+
Cheeseroller
post 10.Jan.2017, 11:54 AM
Post #10

As an EU citizen you can register in the population register and obtain a personal number if you are employed, self employed, a student or have sufficient wealth.

The complication here is that you are employed by an foreign company. This means that you may need to become self employed and invoice your brother each month for services that you provide.

The following may be useful. The Skatteverket site is available in different languages, they also employ English speakers. Probably it's best if you give them a call.

http://www.skatteverket.se/servicelankar/o...d743ffff2f.html

http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showtopic=81166
+
sanniz
post 10.Jan.2017, 02:00 PM
Post #11

Cheeseroller

It´s not that easy and a phone call don´t always help at all. I know because I´m swede and struggle to get my english fiance a personal number still. And I have phoned a lot of persons for at least soon up to one year. And even now I have to continue fight for my english fiance.

Skatteverket don´t give personal number that easy. It´s a lot that you have to fullfill in some type of way. And even if you think it´s good enough you might fail.

We can only hope she had other circumstanses that make it easier for her to get one.
But if you see to what others been writing in other topics or googled EU citizens "stuck in the swedish system", you gonna know that´s more luck if you got one without banging your head to the wall a lot of times.

The health insurance is a big thing too. Cause even if you think the one you got (in most case really expensive in your "old country")should be enough some person can turn it down even when you search for a personal number.

It´s better tell them to get as much as possible fullfilled to get a bigger chance getting it fast. Because Skatteverket don´t give it before you fullfill a lot of things or have permit to stay over 1 year in Sweden. In some cases it isn´t even enough study "2 terminer" which in Sweden counts like a full year of studies. That type of permit she been already searched for and it takes month to get an answer from Migrationsverket.
+
Case officer
post 10.Jan.2017, 05:26 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Svea77 @ 9.Jan.2017, 11:09 AM) *
EU / EEA Citizens or citizens of SwitzerlandIf you are an EU / EEA citizen or citizen of Switzerland you should have a right of residence (for work, studies) and be a resident ... (show full quote)

SFI is not considered studying as far as right of residence is concerned. Studying means studies at gymnasium or university level.
+
ashleydavis1
post 10.Jan.2017, 10:24 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Svea77 @ 9.Jan.2017, 10:43 AM) *
Hello and thank you everyone!!! I really appreciate every information that pops here! You are so kind!So what you are saying is that I shouldn't worry ... (show full quote)

Hi, I have moved to Sweden 8 months ago and in regards to going to SFI you do have to have a personal number otherwise you are no registered into the country so they can't enrol you to a course. The worst thing is you need a job here to even be able to apply for a personal number! I hope this short piece of information helps!
+
LLHope
post 10.Jan.2017, 11:26 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Sthlm83 @ 8.Jan.2017, 10:56 PM) *
Basically the consensus was that all kids in Sweden have a right to education, even if they're "paperless"*).

For so-called paperless, there is a provision in law that states if you do not have a decision from an authority then you are entitled to education. For those legally resident it is not a "right" but an obligation in law, the children must go to school. EU citizens have a technical decision, they either meet the Right of Residence requirements or they do not. If you meet the Right of Residence requirements then any children you have with you must go to school. This does not include the 3 month Freedom of movement period where you are not classed as resident.

QUOTE (ashleydavis1 @ 10.Jan.2017, 10:24 PM) *
Hi, I have moved to Sweden 8 months ago and in regards to going to SFI you do have to have a personal number otherwise you are no registered into the country so they can't enrol you to a course.

You do not need a personal number to enroll in SFI, as an EU citizen you just need to meet the requirements for Right of Residence. If a Kommun says otherwise then challenge them with Skollagen which defines the term resident to include those that meet EU Right of Residence requirements.

OP. You need your job contract with your brothers company, EHIC card or medical insurance, then you should meet the requirements for Right of Residence as person of sufficient means. Note that you will be required to pay income tax in Sweden, and also your employer the 31.4% employers social charges. This does not mean that you need to have a contract that covers 40hrs per week, you can meet the requirements for Right of Residence when down to 10hrs per week week.
+
geordiedrummer
post 18.Jan.2017, 11:06 AM
Post #15

Just to clarify, you DON"T need a personnummer to study SFI if you are an EU citizen.

I moved here about 2 weeks ago from the UK to be with my partner, so am also an EU citizen but currently have no job, no proof of residence etc. However, I was able to register for SFI and have a place starting on Monday, I only had to provide my passport and give them the address that I was based at (my girlfriends). 3 days letter I received a letter to that address with details of the course.

To those who have read or seen information that says this isn't possible, I can only say that I have seen the same, but it simply isn't the case. When I went to register, I did it standing next to a sign that said EU citizens need proof of residence / employment etc. but I didn't.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: