The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Housing loan timing question

How quick to get one after coming to Sweden

aa89an
post 9.Jun.2019, 07:25 AM
Post #1

Hello everyone -

read a fair amount about loans/mortgages to buy an apartment in Sweden on here, but was hoping to get some more recent answers or experiences.

I will be moving to Sweden soon (married, wife will stay in the US first and continue her job there) and am looking into buying an apartment pretty soon after arriving. I'd take on the loan by myself, so my wife shouldn't count as a dependent as she's not in Sweden. The numbers seem to work out in theory when using the online housing loan calculation tool at the bank's homepage (in this case Handelsbanken) for apartments in the price range we're looking and we can afford around 15% downpayment.

My question is how likely it will be to get a loan similar to the online calculation (approx. 2 - 2.5 Million) after working for 2-3 months with a permanent job contract? I still have a Personnummer from an earlier stay in Sweden, but don't have credit history in Sweden or the EU. I have read from people on here being accepted for a loan after just working for a few months in Sweden based on a permanent job, while others seem to have been told they need at least 2 years of tax returns in Sweden to be considered. Seems like there's some variation/flexibility between banks, but I would appreciate any recent experiences from people in similar situations.

Thanks a lot for any advice!
Go to the top of the page
+
ChocOwl
post 9.Jun.2019, 09:56 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (aa89an @ 9.Jun.2019, 08:25 AM) *
I'd take on the loan by myself, so my wife shouldn't count as a dependent as she's not in Sweden.

Are you sure about this part? Under Swedish marriage law (äktenskapsbalken), spouses have a mutual maintennace requirement (försörjningsplikt) so the bank might include her (costs and income) in any calculations about your living costs.
+
aa89an
post 9.Jun.2019, 06:07 PM
Post #3

ChocOwl - thanks for pointing that out, something to look into more. Wasn't aware of that.
+
aa89an
post 9.Jun.2019, 06:37 PM
Post #4

And a quick a follow-up question to this:
Given this mutual maintenance requirement applies - would my wife's US income count, or does it have to be Swedish income?

Thanks
+
ChocOwl
post 11.Jun.2019, 03:07 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (aa89an @ 9.Jun.2019, 07:37 PM) *
And a quick a follow-up question to this: . Given this mutual maintenance requirement applies - would my wife's US income count, or does it have to be Swedish income? . Thanks

Sorry, no idea. I would assume any income would be relevant, regardless of where you/she live(s). Maybe the bank won't be very interested in this, but it would be good to have some numbers ready for them if it comes up when you discuss loans.
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: