The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Chinese/Indian Asian food store in Umeå????

roch
post 31.Aug.2007, 12:51 PM
Post #1

Hej, Just being new to Umeå, and having just started swedish lessons, I am struggling to find a shop or supermarket, even if tiny, that sells the basics for making asian food as I love cooking Thai, Chinese, Japanese etc and I am finding that the supermarkets that i have been to dont really have what I am looking for... Can anyone help a Kiwi girl in northern sweden???
Many thanks!!!! (Have car so can drive anywhere thats not too far!!!) biggrin.gif
Are there any kiwis in Umeå????
Go to the top of the page
+
Ems
post 31.Aug.2007, 11:57 PM
Post #2

There used to be some shops like that around the back of H&M in town, just opposite Scandic Plaza Hotel (the tallest building in central Umeå. Hard to miss). Just walk from H&M past Bishops Arms and all that and then round the corner and keep walking. There used to be more than one of them in that building so hopefully some of them should be left. I think you could also find something in Postgången or whatever it's called nowadays (I can never remember its new name). It's in the same tiny shopping centre where Systembolaget is in the centre, just next to Vasaplan.

If you have no luck there I'd suggest taking a wander around either Ålidhem Centrum or Ersboda Centrum as quite a few immigrants live in those areas.

For Thai food I found this http://www.thaisupermarket.se/

Apparently this couple have been running it from their home on Västerslätt but are moving to Kungsgatan during the summer so it could possibly be up and running by now, unless that wesite is fifty years old and they went bankrupt years ago.

Best of luck!
+
G Kin
post 1.Sep.2007, 05:48 AM
Post #3

Hi!
There used to be an Indian shop at Åhlidhem Centrum. Ålidhem is not far from the university. Hope that helps.
+
roch
post 1.Sep.2007, 11:12 AM
Post #4

I just love cooking and have travelled all over... so I am really happy that I now have some leads to follow... the Thai place especially, the website is fantastic!
One more question... is it a swedish thing... but I dont seem to have found any fresh chicken, whole or in pieces in the supermarkets... only frozen? is this because its too cold up here for chickens? hahahaha

Thanks again!!!!!!
+
jim747
post 1.Sep.2007, 09:55 PM
Post #5

Hej Roch, got a funny feeling you are in my class, you being the Kiwi and me being the Scotsman!

Not much of a clue i'm afraid, will speak to my mates and let you know on Wednesday night.
+
The Moozeylicious One
post 1.Sep.2007, 10:08 PM
Post #6

Roch - he is also the one with copious amounts of chocolate hidden on his person :wink:
+
roch
post 1.Sep.2007, 10:10 PM
Post #7

how funny is that????? hehe.. Looked up the local on your wise and sage advice and what do ya know???? Yep its me!

See you wed.. hope your swedish practice is going better than mine... laugh.gif
+
Mzungu
post 1.Sep.2007, 10:13 PM
Post #8

[quote="roch".. but I dont seem to have found any fresh chicken, whole or in pieces in the supermarkets... only frozen? is this because its too cold up here for chickens? hahahaha

Thanks again!!!!!![/quote]

Nick the neighbors!

*quietly now*! 8)
+
The Moozeylicious One
post 1.Sep.2007, 10:26 PM
Post #9

funnily enough I could do that...my neighbours had one of these delivered a couple of days ago...

http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/p...p?view=Chickens

with two chickens in it
+
Ezpen The Caveman
post 1.Sep.2007, 11:32 PM
Post #10

Think I might need one of these for my kids... :twisted:
+
jim747
post 2.Sep.2007, 10:57 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (NySvensk)
Roch - he is also the one with copious amounts of chocolate hidden on his person :wink:

Always!! The cupboards and the car are full of it! :wink:

It should be law.
+
jim747
post 2.Sep.2007, 11:00 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (roch)
how funny is that????? hehe.. Looked up the local on your wise and sage advice and what do ya know???? Yep its me!

See you wed.. hope your swedish practice is going better than mine... laugh.gif

Welcome to the madhouse!

To be honest I haven't had time to look at my stuff this weekend, but i'm sure i'll manage. If you need any help in class then let me know, i'm sure your Swede will be able to help out way better than me though!
+
roch
post 2.Sep.2007, 04:17 PM
Post #13

mmm diame... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
(dont know how to spell it... as the wrapper gets thrown off too quickly,,)
i know its silly ... but i get a small chuckle out whenever i see Plop... hehehe... i sent it to my kiwi and ozzie friends who also think its hilarious,.. sad but true...
+
The Moozeylicious One
post 2.Sep.2007, 05:37 PM
Post #14

and don't forget Kack though I think they may have changed its name boooohissss
+
jim747
post 2.Sep.2007, 05:59 PM
Post #15

Haha! Plop is a classic, and yeh iv'e taken Plop home to my mates before, just because I know they wouldn't believe me if I just told them bout it.

I also chuckle when a motor drives past and it has Kakel and Klinkers written on the side of it. Clinkers or Clingers back home are wee bits of shite that stick to your arse! I once had the horrible job of removing Clinkers from the rear end of our Dog when she was ill, the poor sod had long hair and it was a sticky mess!!
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: