The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

'Pirate Bay judge not biased' says court

Despite being a member of pro-copyright groups

The Local
post 8.Jun.2009, 01:06 PM
Post #1

The judge in The Pirate Bay trial, Tomas Nordström, was not biased, Stockholm District Court has argued in its report to the Svea Court of Appeal, which will rule on the issue.

Nordström is a member of several organizations that take a pro-copyright stance. These memberships form the basis of accusations from defence lawyers that the judge is biased and they have voiced calls for a re-trial.

Defence lawyers pointed out in appealing the convictions of their clients - Peter Sunde, Fredrik Neij, Carl Lundström and Gottfrid Svartholm Warg - on charges of complicity in breach of the Copyright Act, that one of the organizations receives funding from the recording industry organization IFPI.

154 words remaining. Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
eZee.se
post 8.Jun.2009, 02:22 PM
Post #2

If they rule that the judge was not biased, a LOT of people (and nearly all the youth) are going to lose all faith in the Swedish legal system... especially since its not to hard to find the strings being held by the puppeteers in the (US) music and content industries.
+
byke
post 8.Jun.2009, 02:35 PM
Post #3

I still believe this judgement was bent and politically motivated.
+
Huey
post 8.Jun.2009, 03:33 PM
Post #4

The Swedish goverment must rule against this judge and throw out the entire case and ruling against the Pirate Bay if this goverment is going to be taken seriously by be the new generation of Swedes. The older generation of Swedes live in fear, so they are useless.
+
Random Guy
post 8.Jun.2009, 05:03 PM
Post #5

now now, roll over and give me your paw like a good puppy - your USA overlords have spoken. you have no say in the matter.
now be good and take it or we will hit you on the nose with a wet paper.
be a good puppy - not a bad dog (or else!)
+
*Guest*
post 8.Jun.2009, 05:56 PM
Post #6

I wish I could have some burgers along with the movie, not to mention Free
+
spy
post 8.Jun.2009, 07:41 PM
Post #7

If Nordström had declared his association with pro-copyright organizations would he have been 'hand-picked for this high-profile trial'? - Only by a complete moron!
This is a serious own-goal for the Swedish legal system which must not only act but also must appear to be whiter than white.
+
Dagem Hailemariam
post 8.Jun.2009, 10:42 PM
Post #8

Are you F**King kidding me!! Call it what it is!! STRAIGHT BLATANT CORRUPTION!!
+
*Guest*
post 9.Jun.2009, 03:11 AM
Post #9

I know judge T.N. personally and I believe him to be a serious, responsible and honest individual. With all due respect to his detractors - he is a fine professional and a good human being. Stop with the personal attacks. Has Karl Rove moved to Sweden??
+
Marley420
post 9.Jun.2009, 03:46 AM
Post #10

I believe the next step is to appeal to Supreme Court of E.U.. Supreme Court without bias can either set aside or uphold the ruling.

Kevin, law is very difficult to understand for those who work outside the law. Unfornuately, media plays devil advocate to stir up emotions. But, I must agree with you that I sure he is a fine and honest individual who fines himself entrenched in a controversial issue of human rights.
+
Muttlestar Galactica
post 9.Jun.2009, 06:49 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Kevin Foley @ 9.Jun.2009, 03:11 AM) *
Stop with the personal attacks. Has Karl Rove moved to Sweden??

Hang on. Where are these personal attacks you speak of? All I've seen on here so far are folks questioning what the judge actually decided in regards to his revealed direct professional interest in the case. Which in a democracy, is their perfect right. Heaven forbid trials haven't been unduly influenced by conflicts of interest before eh?

I think it's slightly unfair to compare the good folks on this forum with a certain coin-eyed soulless sociopath, just for debating the issue.

P.S Maybe your friend is all of the things you say he is, but at best he's also proven to be politically naive to think his revealed interests would not bring the trial into question, and at worst, obnoxious enough to think he was safe from what is potentially valid critique.
+
*Guest*
post 9.Jun.2009, 08:00 AM
Post #12

This is like beeing a member of Al Quaida, but not beeing a terrorist.
+
Puffin
post 9.Jun.2009, 08:10 AM
Post #13

You need to remember that this is NOT a final decision relating to the appeal

The court of Appeal has asked the district criminal court which chose Nordström to judge the Pirate Bay case for a statement regarding the case as part of the appeal process

That the court that chose Nordström does not believe that they did anything wrong is hardly a suprise - the biggest surprise is that anyone is wasting their time to comment on this non event
+
Octover
post 9.Jun.2009, 08:23 AM
Post #14

Thank you Puffin, rereading the article and I can see that point is made in the first paragraph.
+
usgepo
post 9.Jun.2009, 09:08 AM
Post #15

Obvioulsy the Swedish courts belive that it is OK to be wined and dinned by studio executhiefs as well as extra curricular activities, such as private parties with special favors from young ladies palced specially there to please this guy, and others is considered normal.
Ask him how many times he has been wined and dined and after wards has been sipping Champagne at V and oher places VIP areas in Stockholm and London clubs with studio executives and Swedish and foreign artists?
This is normal and will not make a person byass rubbish, he knows where the bread is buttered.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: