The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

'Limping' cat shot dead and dumped by police

Miss Kitten
post 2.Apr.2012, 05:32 PM
Post #16

Thanks, Momster.
I choose to keep my cat indoors because it is safer and easier for me and for her. I live in a fourth floor apartment with no elevator, and it's too much trouble to let her outside. The apartment is a pretty good size though so there's plenty of room for her, and there's also a balcony so she can go outside if she wants to. She's safe and she's not a bother to any of the neighbors.
However, there seems to be a prevailing attitude in Sweden that cats need to have access to the outdoors. When I first looked into adopting a cat from a local shelter, they wouldn't consider letting me adopt unless the cat could go out. They also insisted that if I was gone all day then I had to adopt two cats so they could keep each other company. They said that it was bad to leave a cat alone in the house all day. Furthermore, they insisted on inspecting my apartment to make sure it was suitable.
While I'm sure that they have good reasons for all these requirements, I couldn't fulfill all of them, which is a shame because I'm sure they are preventing willing people from adopting one of the the many homeless cats into their loving home.
Go to the top of the page
+
libertarianism
post 2.Apr.2012, 06:04 PM
Post #17

Re 14, This is elaborate, but could you rig a motion-censored sprinkler? Also, I think hunting stores sell things like wolf-urine. Marking the outskirts of your yard with that might deter them. Or you could combine these suggestions, and "mark" the cats yourself? Just kidding. Cats are smart and slinky. Might be tough to keep them out without a fence or a dog. (Even if they got past a dog, it would later eat their poo.) :( Good luck, and be nice! :)
+
johan rebel
post 2.Apr.2012, 07:30 PM
Post #18

Hey, at least the cat ain't limping no more!
+
zooeden
post 2.Apr.2012, 07:37 PM
Post #19

Its so easy to understand the poor needs of the kitty cat there, was maybe in hurt and not doing so well that it had to be "handled". Little did he know that the swedes handeling things get trigger happy whenever it involves an animal, thats why whales, wolves, bears and deers and occasionally your neighborhood hoodlum. Shot in the head to a kitty sounds bout fair...
+
*Guest*
post 2.Apr.2012, 08:53 PM
Post #20

what did I see here on The Local? One day it is police officers fined for unlawful arrrest, and left the guy outside Stockholm out of nowhere perhaps to give him a lesson. And today this report of police unlawful terminate a cat's life and dumped it out on the streets. I am a simple person and if I put 2 and 2 together, it seems it is just part of the guidelines for police to deal with 'despicable' aliens.
It is a comfort to know that at least some justice goes to the 'cocky' guy. Not so lucky for the cat though. : (
+
Radhus
post 2.Apr.2012, 09:01 PM
Post #21

I really feel for this man. I hope he gets justice and another cat that gives him just as much comfort as the one he lost.
@ skogsbo #11
Seems like you lost your heart. Or perhaps you just lack empathy.
I can't stand cats. I have a dog. Not that it matters which pet is it is, I have a family and sometimes I come home to nobody being there (they're at sport training, shopping, after school activities etc). The dog always comes to meet me though and it's still a great feeling. Luckily, I'm not a lonely person so I don't know what it's like to have nobody but an animal to hold and interact with to get me through day to day life. But there is one thing that I can teach you about animals and that is that they love their owners *unconditionally*.
Having a pet whether it's a dog, cat, lizard, etc when you have no human company in your home is probably, I'm sure, the next best thing. Animals have feelings, they respond to you in unique ways and give a lot of comfort. To have that comfort (the only one for some people) taken away forever can be as devastating as losing a family member.
If you had empathy you would understand what I'm saying. Maybe you were just never taught and I strongly suspect the latter because empathy and respect for animals are linked and teaching them starts in childhood. So you probably missed the boat.
+
Pakistani_Student
post 2.Apr.2012, 09:34 PM
Post #22

Oh man, this is so cruel. I feel for the person who lost his cat.
Why would they kill such a beautiful animal and instead of taking it to some doc, they killed it. Huh I had a cat once and i can understand what the owner must be going through, so sad...
+
J Jack
post 2.Apr.2012, 10:20 PM
Post #23

What these Police thought was 'putting the animal out of misery' has increased the misery of a very miserable old man who has become emotionally dependent on his late moggy after losing his daughter. The man has every right to be enveloped in his private universe with his beloved pet and I hope he gets to see those mean cops in a ditch themselves some day. A very unfortunate situation that was avoidable.
+
Svensksmith
post 3.Apr.2012, 01:00 AM
Post #24

Let's hope that Mr. Hjalmarsson doesn't see any limping cops. He might snap.
+
Spuds MacKenzie
post 3.Apr.2012, 01:12 AM
Post #25

Swedish police are an absolute disgrace! I feel so bad for the kitty and her owner. :(
+
DAVID T
post 3.Apr.2012, 08:22 PM
Post #26

The only good cat is a dead cat - well done Police - Kill 'em all
+
Da Goat
post 4.Apr.2012, 11:00 AM
Post #27

the only good things about this story is the police are getting slightly better with their shooting, they have gone from getting the next shop to a chest shot, soon they will be good enough for a head shot!
very sad they had to pick on a poor guys cat ...surely they can devise better targets!
well done to the children who took care of the poor animal (afforded it a burial)
shame on the police!
watch out crims the cops can actually hit you now! (unless they tied it up first, not very sporting chaps)
+
rise
post 5.Apr.2012, 07:38 AM
Post #28

Afraid of poor little cats are you? Silly man.
+
biddi
post 5.Apr.2012, 02:02 PM
Post #29

A really sad story and I would follow this up, too. Idiots who shot the poor cat. The cat should have been taken to a vet.
Too much trouble, I suppose - just bloody damned lazy would be more like it. Shame on you, coppers.
+
JMSN
post 5.Apr.2012, 03:02 PM
Post #30

This is really ridiculous! I mean, surely there must be a dog pound or animal shelter where these stray animals must be taken to! I hardly think this action could be considered anywhere near legal with the police shooting all the stray animals they can find... I tell you the owner should take this to court and sue these officers... and I'm all for the police, but this time they screwed up big time!
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: