The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

Cycling on the road... legal?

Using the road when there is a bike path

Seamus Sean
post 26.Sep.2013, 11:28 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (Affonso @ 26.Sep.2013, 10:20 AM) *
I must admit, i have really been tempted to run over cyclists or throw wood into their wheel. Those spoilt brats have no consideration for pedestrians or drivers, especially w ... (show full quote)

In Sweden I see far more drivers playing with/using their phones than those on bikes...seems it´s a national pastime here to drive while chatting away, phone held to the ear!

Just this morning I saw a Swede drive through the parking area at my son´s school with the phone pressed to his ear, kids being dropped off for school running all over the place, as kids do!

Must have been a mighty important phone call to risk running over a child for!

As for cyclists on the road, I always slow down when I see them and then wait until it´s safe to over take, leave enough space when over taking just in case they get a wobble, then drive away...quite simple really ,and only common manners to do so.

We all have a right to use the road. It´s a pity some think once in cased in a motor car they become invincible...bit like the key board bullies here, they would never say the things they do on line if face to face with someone! wink.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
rg255
post 26.Sep.2013, 11:58 AM
Post #17

You are very right about drivers using mobile phones, in the UK it is banned and having lived here now I am glad they are. I have had numerous occasions where drivers have pulled out of junctions without even looking, almost invariably they are on their phones. I'm considering petitioning government to get them banned, I'm getting tired of risking my life every time I cycle - cyclists are travelling in an environmentally friendly and health boosting manner, this saves the government money (improved national health = lower health spending) and makes the country an even better place to live (less air and noise pollution) so they should be protected from dangers to encourage more people to start riding.
+
rg255
post 26.Sep.2013, 12:01 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (AgeOfReason @ 26.Sep.2013, 11:10 AM) *
Maybe if you swap to cycling on the right-hand side they won't be coming straight for you wink.gif

Ha absolutely, when I got here I had one or two moments when I forgot ride on the right, luckily I realized pretty quickly! Then when I was home this summer I forgot to ride on the left! It is very confusing - UK needs to catch up to the rest of the world!
+
Seamus Sean
post 26.Sep.2013, 12:25 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (rg255 @ 26.Sep.2013, 11:58 AM) *
You are very right about drivers using mobile phones, in the UK it is banned and having lived here now I am glad they are. I have had numerous occasions where drivers have pul ... (show full quote)

Save your time rg255, the Swedish government won´t be banning the pastime of chatting on a phone while driving anytime soon.

There was a thread about it here some time ago, they reckon banning the phone/driving wouldn´t reduce the number of folk at it so therefore they won´t ban it...sound silly to you? It does to me but there you! This is Sweden!

You are dead right about biking, less pollution, better for your health etc. and I must say that compared to some countries I´ve been in there has been a greater effort made here to encourage people to get cycling. The cycle paths/lanes around here are excellent and one would be more inclined to get out on the bike than where I´m from where you do risk your life every time you cycle!
+
AgeOfReason
post 26.Sep.2013, 01:18 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Seamus Sean @ 26.Sep.2013, 12:28 PM) *
We all have a right to use the road. It´s a pity some think once in cased in a motor car they become invincible...

My experience is that drivers in the nordics become seemingly invincible once they get their winter tyres on!

QUOTE (rg255 @ 26.Sep.2013, 12:58 PM) *
...this saves the government money (improved national health = lower health spending) and makes the country an even better place to live (less air and noise pollution) ...

I would be a bit careful about that line of thought, there are quite a number of studies that have been done to show that healthier people cost the tax payers much more than unhealthy! Yes indeedy.

Unhealthy people tend to die quicker, suffering from multiple simultaneous diseases that cannot be managed, not forgetting the pension and care requirements of old age that do not need to be paid for.

Healthy indivudals tend to live longer hence there is more years of health maintenance required, they tend to eventually die of diseases that take longer to kill them, or suffer from diseases that can be managed but leads to an extended lifespan and greater cost in health maintenance, plus pensions and care homes etc.

Add into that that the roads are greatly paid for by motor vehicle owners, fuel taxes, emissions taxes etc.etc. Vehicle users pay their way, but cyclists indirectly don't. biggrin.gif
+
Johno
post 26.Sep.2013, 01:42 PM
Post #21

In my ideal world pedestrians, cyclists and motorists would always stay apart, since any mix is dangerous to at least one of the parties involved. My particular gripe is cyclists who do not respect pedestrians while I look in horror at the situation in London where cycle commuting is actively encouraged while the provisions for cyclists are diabolical.

But I don't see rg255 accepting any point of view other than his own, while Seamus predictably brings up his mobile phone fixation yet again.
+
Seamus Sean
post 26.Sep.2013, 01:55 PM
Post #22

Sorry to piss on your parade Johno but someone else mentioned phones before I did...spec savers maybe??

And as I haven´t mentioned the national pastime of chatting on a phone while driving since it was debated on a thread dealing with the subject many months ago I´d hardly call it a fixation now would you?

But hey I´m flattered you have been watching me from a far...tis kinda cute! tongue.gif
+
rg255
post 26.Sep.2013, 02:11 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Johno @ 26.Sep.2013, 01:42 PM) *
But I don't see rg255 accepting any point of view other than his own

I don't agree with that, I am entitled to counter peoples arguments, and will when their argument is (in my opinion) flawed or unfounded and shows a desire or willingness to endanger peoples lives for no reason.

My view is that I should be allowed to use the side of the road as long as I use the road carefully, which I do, and all I ask in return is that the Swedish law protects me from people with a fixation on hating cyclists. Yes, there are some bad cyclists, just as there are some bad drivers, but that doesn't give the right to try and kill someone with your car. A car is a deadly weapon when used in a certain manner and drivers have a responsibility to use their vehicles with the necessary care to prevent it becoming a weapon. They can not take the law in to their own hands, and I am trying to find out if they are even basing their actions on law or a personal opinion.

If it is not against the law then I will continue to use the roads and will happily remind drivers that endanger me that I am perfectly entitled to be there. If it is against the law I will switch to the cycle paths and just hope I never cause an accident with a pedestrian or commuter cyclist. The point of view I will accept is that of the law, currently the only attempt to clarify the law to me has said that the road can be used when the cyclist does so safely and it is a better option than using the pavement/cycle path which is ambiguous.
+
Svensksmith
post 26.Sep.2013, 03:01 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (Affonso @ 26.Sep.2013, 09:20 AM) *
I must admit, i have really been tempted to run over cyclists or throw wood into their wheel. Those spoilt brats have no consideration for pedestrians or drivers, especially w ... (show full quote)

I often wonder what makes some people so mean?
+
Johno
post 26.Sep.2013, 03:09 PM
Post #25

Seamus

And as I haven´t mentioned the national pastime of chatting on a phone while driving since it was debated on a thread dealing with the subject many months ago I´d hardly call it a fixation now would you?

Actually you brought it up after the original thread ceased, claiming you won the exchange about Swedes being law abiding, which was your real obsession on that thread. Thats 3 threads and no I ain't going back to count.
+
rg255
post 26.Sep.2013, 03:12 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 26.Sep.2013, 03:01 PM) *
I often wonder what makes some people so mean?

probably bad experiences with a minority of the cyclists they encounter, even though I'm pro-cyclist I admit there are some bad ones (and I do not refrain from shouting my thoughts at them**), the ones doing nothing wrong tend not to stick out in the mind - unfortunately some people see all cyclists as the same person once one has ridden across the road without looking, played with their phone etc..

** particular bug-bear for me is cyclists not using lights even on the darkest winter nights and on unlit paths, when they cause near misses I normally remind in no uncertain terms them that lights are a legal requirement and are not just there to help you see ("they don't help me see anything" is a typical response) but to help you be seen which even a weak light does improve greatly
+
Seamus Sean
post 26.Sep.2013, 03:29 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Johno @ 26.Sep.2013, 03:09 PM) *
SeamusActually you brought it up after the original thread ceased, claiming you won the exchange about Swedes being law abiding, which was your real obsession on that thread. ... (show full quote)

Sorry but how did I bring it up after the original thread ceased?

Was the original thread pulled or if someone wanted to they could still post on it, like say... if they had a fixation??

I couldn´t even tell you exactly how many months ago that phone/driving thread was...just that it was a loooong time ago, God bless your memory!

I mentioned it here as someone else first mentioned cyclists playing with their phones, didn´t know I wasn´t allowed pass comment with a relative observation, how about in future I´ll PM you Johno and ask first if it´s ok to do so?

Anyway as we are talking about fixations I must say you have been keeping a very close eye on me and what I post and when...I said earlier I was flattered...now that you have shown just what a close eye you are keeping on me I must say it makes me a tad uneasy, not healthy for a guy to be watching another lad in such a fashion...silently, in the shadows, keeping note of how many times I mention something, rather creepy Johno I must say...never posting to me just watching...counting...waiting!

Now I´m off out to lock up my pet rabbits...can´t be too safe, eh Johno ??? ohmy.gif
+
rg255
post 26.Sep.2013, 03:31 PM
Post #28

Don't take this the wrong way but, perhaps this is a bit off topic Johno and Seamus?
+
Johno
post 26.Sep.2013, 03:34 PM
Post #29

Who cares ? Your question was answered long ago.

As Sean has surmised I am really reading and posting to gather data on him. Hmm, keeps rabbits, thats in my database too.
+
AW1
post 26.Sep.2013, 03:50 PM
Post #30

Any chance you're working for the police in Skåne? wink.gif
+

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: