The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

SKY TV viewing

Is it going to work

Rick Methven
post 8.Oct.2014, 07:19 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (Essingen55 @ 7.Oct.2014, 06:13 PM) *
Has Filmon died? I can't get my ipad app to work at all.

Get an Android or windows tablet filmon and TVguide.co.uk still working great. The missus watches Emmerdale on the tablet while I watch something else on freesat. Yesterday was a bad reception day for BBC/ITV due rain but got better reception on BBC by switching from London to Wales.
Go to the top of the page
+
MrCurry
post 29.Mar.2016, 10:08 PM
Post #32

I'm moving to örebro soon. If I bring my UK sky box and UK viewing card and just keep the direct debit running, will I be able to pick up sky sports with a 120cm dish, or is 150cm recommended? There was some talk earlier in the thread about changes in satellites so I'm not sure what the current situation might be?
+
Hisingen
post 29.Mar.2016, 10:28 PM
Post #33

Maintaining your Sky subscription that way 'in the UK' should allow continued service. They really are only interested in your subs, and as long as they are paid in the UK - - - - .
The size of dish. Especially there in Örebro, I would say the 150cm to be the better bet. I have Rick's old 120cm here on the west coast with an Inverto Quad LNB, and as long as the weather is not too bad - heavy rain, snow, here or above the UK - I get all that is available on both Sky and Freesat. It faltered a little last night, but that was due to the weather over England - or shall we say between the satellite and the ground transmitter, since it was reasonably fine here. But with even the channels in HD coming in fine then the signal strength/quality are of sufficently high level. The satellite situation has stabilized now, hence the pretty good reception standard.

Good luck, anyway. Let us know what results you get as and when. It is good to know recpetion standards in different parts of the country.
+
MrCurry
post 30.Mar.2016, 11:50 AM
Post #34

Thanks Hisingen, I will try it and report back. That's if I can get permission from my better half for a 1.5m sat dish on the side of the house smile.gif
+
MrCurry
post 30.Mar.2016, 12:29 PM
Post #35

One more question - how can I find a sat dish installer in my area? What would be the right search term to use in Swedish for "satellite dish installer"?
+
Hisingen
post 30.Mar.2016, 08:42 PM
Post #36

Parabolinstallatör, satelit tv installatör.
You can try using Eniro.se for the Örebro area. using either of the above 'descriptions' to see what turns up. Often, if you have a TV store nearby, they can point you in the right direction.
+
MrCurry
post 31.Mar.2016, 09:35 AM
Post #37

Thanks Hisingen
+
MrCurry
post 31.Mar.2016, 12:08 PM
Post #38

I don't suppose there are any planning permissions required to put such a large (150cm) satellite dish on the side of your house in Sweden are there? The neighbours might well speculate NASA have moved in, but I wouldn't want a knock at door from the local council saying I have to take it down.
+
sarcastrix
post 31.Mar.2016, 02:45 PM
Post #39

MrC, I have a Gibertini 150 dish in Ö and Sky is watchable most times of the day, 120 just won't cut it in bad weather.

I'd suggest comparing dish prices (Paraboler) in UK before moving here as like everything else, they ain't cheap, see: www.satpro.se

Planing permission? No, as long as your not living in an apartment you shouldn't get complaints.

As for installers I've never found a good one (or been prepared to pay their rip off fees) - even Spanish workmen put their Swedish counterparts to shame.
+
Hisingen
post 31.Mar.2016, 04:39 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (sarcastrix @ 31.Mar.2016, 02:45 PM) *
- - - -. As for installers I've never found a good one (or been prepared to pay their rip off fees) - even Spanish workmen put their Swedish counterparts to shame.

Well, I guesss there are good and bad everywhere, but the three with whom I have had dealings here in Northern Bohuslän over many years have been absolutely tops, both with regard to trimming my antennae and dishes, and with relation to the cost.
You simply cannot generalise without being disprespectful to the good installers. My neighbours have the same installer as me of late, and, even if they do not take in Sky, they all sing his praises. He is also the one who is assisting them with the advent of fibre broadband and TV here, adding to his services.
Although I do admit we do not have any Spanish competition here - - - - - rolleyes.gif .
+
MrCurry
post 5.Apr.2016, 11:25 AM
Post #41

QUOTE (sarcastrix @ 31.Mar.2016, 03:45 PM) *
MrC, I have a Gibertini 150 dish in Ö and Sky is watchable most times of the day, 120 just won't cut it in bad weather.I'd suggest comparing dish prices (Paraboler) i ... (show full quote)

Thanks, that's useful info. When you say watchable most times of the day are you saying its ok unless it's raining / snowing heavily? Or is there some other factor affecting reception which I'm not aware of?
+
Hisingen
post 5.Apr.2016, 06:11 PM
Post #42

It is down to the weather, either over here or over the UK transmitters. Either can affect the signal which, after all, does have quite a way to travel. Last night here on the west coast I lost out to some extent on BBC, ITV, Ch's 4 & 5, these being tied to the UK footprint, and which we get more or less by the grace of the gods. My Sky box is some 10 years old now, by Pace, with no HD or anything like that. The Humax Freesat is one year old, providing some channels in HD also, and you can tell the difference.
You have to be prepared to sacrifice viewing at times, but most of the Sky channels are not on the UK beam and as such seldom suffer from the weather. I was watching a BBC programmes about possible Viking finds on Newfoundland when the programmes broke up, but returned towards the end enabling me to see the result. Missing that would have been a disappointment, but that is the risk we have to accept out on the fringe, unless we have a ginormous dish. Not far from me there was once the Earth Satellite Station in Tanumshede, and one of those dishes would give a fair signal - they are about 30M Dia. But the upkeep would also be equally ginormous - - -

So yer pays yer money an' yer takes yer pick. Can't say the same about the weather, though.
+
Mart123
post 6.Apr.2016, 10:45 AM
Post #43

Disclaimer: I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this is repeat info.

I've been using this for about 9 months now with no issues (and no satellite dish)... http://expatvision.tv/

The website and method of signing up look sketchy, but it's genuinely a good service which works well - I have more issues with my Telia TV service than with this. I know several other guys who also have it with no complaints. You get the full Sky package (incl. sports and movies) for EUR 35 a month. You can also replay any show up to 14 days in the past from a large number of the channels. All you need is a half decent internet connection and the box they sell for about EUR 100. They claim that it complies with EU law, and I guess there must be something to that given that Sky haven't manage to shut them down.
+
MrCurry
post 7.Apr.2016, 07:44 AM
Post #44

Thanks Mart, that actually looks like a very good option. I'm going to give it a try I think. Some brief research this morning seems to indicate the MAG250 streaming box is available cheaply (£35 delivered) direct from Hong Kong via AliExpress app/website. This stacks up very favourably against a £500 satellite dish!

It'll take me a couple of months to get set up but I'll try to remember to come back to this thread and update whether it worked for me. Appreciate your suggestion Mart...
+
sarcastrix
post 8.Apr.2016, 07:38 AM
Post #45

I have a Skybox f5s (Openbox V8S on amazon) and pay £20 per year for all the channels along with two Sky HD boxes on FreeSat. But of course you still need a dish.
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: