The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Districts of Stockholm - unsure which forum

A1
post 9.Nov.2005, 05:12 PM
Post #1

Afternoon all, wasnt 100% sure which forum to post to, apologies if its in the wrong one..

First off, this site is great, just what I've been looking for in the jumble sale that is the Net.

I've read tons of the posts so far and between you, you've answered almost all of my questions bar one.

Ok, bit of background: its an almost dead cert (optimisim is always better i think) that I'll convince my work to allow me to move to the Stockholm office in the spring putting me a lot closer to my girlfriend who is currently studying in Växjö.

I currently live in Manchester, Uk approx 30/45 mins south of the city in a nice leafy suburb just close enough to venture into town for nights out but just far enough out to not feel like im surrounded by car fumes and the rat race.

Im looking to find somewhere similar to rent Stockholm but cannot for love or money find descriptions of the areas surounding the city centre. (i.e mainly family's, heavily student populated, full of young working couples, large asian population etc.),

I'm thinking that living on the southern side of Stockholm (Huddinge or Haninge districts) would be better as it will cut the travel time when driving down to see her and thats where I need some help.

Descriptions of the districts, suggestions for towns within the districts, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Al
Go to the top of the page
+
Abracadabra
post 9.Nov.2005, 06:31 PM
Post #2

Hello A1. Couple of thoughts. One thing to bear in mind is that it's a lot easier to get around in Stockholm than Manchester (at least last time I was there ten years ago) so you could be further in (perhaps more fun) and still find it pretty easy to get out of town.

If you're thinking of the south side, the Södermalm is a very relaxed and rather fashionable area and about as bohemian as a Swedish area could be. Good mixture of types, lots of good things to do and not particularly rat-racey as the inner city goes.

Haninge/Västerhaninge is about 30 mins out of town by train and no more by car. There's not a lot to do there but you're never more than a few mins from the great outdoors. As far as I know there's all kinds of accommodation there. It's more of a town near Stockholm than a suburb.

Huddinge is more of a suburb, though. Much more built up and a bit brutal on the eye in many parts. Big teaching hospital there, so lots of students but convenient if you break a leg.

Växjö - that's a hell of a way away. An extra fifteen minutes here or there getting around Stockholm won't make much difference to a 6/7 hour journey. Live central, ditch the car, get the train!
+
A1
post 9.Nov.2005, 07:05 PM
Post #3

Many Thanks Sleepy,

Exactly the kind of response I wanted. It gives me a better idea of where to start looking.

Södermalm, Haninge & Västerhaninge sound like exactly what I'm looking for.

Al
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: