The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Christmas in Stockholm

Anna M.
post 26.Nov.2005, 04:46 PM
Post #1

Hej all!!
It's the first time I post sth here ,but I've been following-enjoying a lot of the discussions.I have been living here for a while but it's the first time I will spend christmas here (and not in the south where I belong...) So I was wondering... What are the top 5 things I should definitely do in Stockholm during Christmas?
tack! biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
*Wilding*
post 26.Nov.2005, 04:58 PM
Post #2

OK, so you're Swedish? Well, some of these might be old news to you, but for a foreigner these are the things that I would recommend:

1. Food and drink: julbord (Christmas smörgåsbord - preferably home made), glögg, brännvin (snapps), pepparkakor (a type of cookie).

2. Go to a Christmas concert at one of Stockholm's beautiful churches (e.g. St Jakobs church on Kungsträdgården)

3. Go to a Christmas market (eg at Skansen, in Gamla Stan, Drottningholm)

4. Take a walk by the lakes in Nacka nature reserve and stop off for a steaming cup of chocolate (or coffee, or glögg) and kakor (cakes/cookies) at one of the lovely little huts in the area. Particularly highly recommended if it's snowing.

5. Take a walk round Gamla Stan.

urm...there must be more...anyone else have any ideas?
+
Anna M.
post 26.Nov.2005, 05:03 PM
Post #3

No, I am not Swedish. I meant the south of Europe.. :roll:
I am form Greece.
+
Jeanette
post 26.Nov.2005, 06:52 PM
Post #4

I think Johnny Wilde has just about covered all the bases.

But to narrow down your selection a bit, I would go for the Christmas market at Skansen - fantastic Christmas atmosphere, very old fashioned.

If you're walking round Gamla Stan - definitely worth doing - try getting a table in the cellar room at, I think, Chokladkoppen on Stortorget.

One thing Johnny didn't say which feels very Swedish to me is the 'Julotta' - the early morning Christmas church service. I would recommend the Seglora Church in Skansen for this - unforgettable experience - the snowy road lined with candles, the little wooden church lit by candles.

God Jul!
+
*Gabriela*
post 26.Nov.2005, 06:54 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Anna M.)
No, I am not Swedish. I meant the south of Europe.. :roll:
I am form Greece.

Well, even if you aren't Swedish, if you are living with a Swedish family or have a Swedish boyfriend tell them to show you a real Swedish Christmas. If you got friends there must be a place where you can go ice skating? Maybe cross-country skiing?

Check Konserthuset in Stockholm, maybe they have a free concert? Sometimes during lunch is very inexpensive? Last year there was a free one here in Gothenburg, free ginger cookies and glögg (Swedish drink with raisins and almonds).

I love glögg!
+
Citrus
post 26.Nov.2005, 06:56 PM
Post #6

mmmmmmmm cellar room, that place is beautiful.
+
*Mark Boy*
post 28.Nov.2005, 10:59 AM
Post #7

Skansen is beautiful but at Christmas time, well its magical!
+
Sippan
post 28.Nov.2005, 05:48 PM
Post #8

Nobody has mentioned the most Swedish Christmas thing ever: Apotekarnes julmust! Outsells Coca Cola every December.
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 28.Nov.2005, 05:50 PM
Post #9

You could live it up like some daft Stockholmers...get drunk and vomit in the bushes. Pukesicle anyone? [img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/obscene/eck06.gif[/img]
+
FR
post 28.Nov.2005, 05:51 PM
Post #10

+
Eyallow
post 28.Nov.2005, 06:11 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Jason)
You could live it up like some daft Stockholmers...get drunk and vomit in the bushes. Pukesicle anyone? [img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/obscene/eck06.gif[/img]

That is funny Jason, the puking symbols! Well, you will have to get drunk at home alone and puke in your sheets in that case. No one roams the streets, i wonder if any pubs are opened!
+
Skyrocket
post 28.Nov.2005, 06:15 PM
Post #12

I don't live in Sweden, but have spent time in Sweden around Christmas. So as a foriegner, I enjoyed the following:

1. DEFINATELY a Christmas concert at the church next to Operakallen. It is magic. Being that the sun goes down early, the twilight in the church with the candles and music is a sight to behold.

2. As you shop in town, partake of the glogg sold on street corners. Tasty and warm...

3. I always enjoyed sitting in the cafes in the park across the street from NK...as I recall they play music you can hear outside - a favorite song is Sno Fallen - it sound so pretty as it echos across the park (snow covered hopefully).
+
*Alt*
post 29.Nov.2005, 07:35 AM
Post #13

I'm going to give that a try.
+
*Harry*
post 29.Nov.2005, 08:29 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Anna M.)
Hej all!!
It's the first time I post sth here ,but I've been following-enjoying a lot of the discussions.I have been living here for a while but it's the first time I will spend christmas here (and not in the south where I belong...) So I was wondering... What are the top 5 things I should definitely do in Stockholm during Christmas?
tack! biggrin.gif

Hej, good question. I'm going to need those Swedish classes.
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 1.Dec.2005, 12:02 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Sippan)
Nobody has mentioned the most Swedish Christmas thing ever: Apotekarnes julmust! Outsells Coca Cola every December.

Alright - Sippan...I just have to say that I bought a bottle of that stuff at the store the other day. I had never tried it before...and...I wish I had kept it that way

[img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/obscene/eck06.gif[/img]

Some of the most disgusting stuff I have ever tried to drink since Pepsi Blue

What in the heck is in that stuff??? Did they make it with sill?
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: