The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

This site is a f**king joke!

Swedish news?

Gjeebes
post 27.Jul.2016, 07:39 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (yet another brit @ 27.Jul.2016, 06:28 AM) *
Really? Plenty of websites on both the left and right that air the dirty laundry.

Such as?
Go to the top of the page
+
Grahamsmjöl
post 27.Jul.2016, 08:46 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (Savage @ 26.Jul.2016, 11:18 PM) *
I am not going to say too much about the news and its articles for obvious reasons.But should your anger really be aimed at the organisation or those who pay to see such artic ... (show full quote)

So why not call yourselves what you really are? An advertising agency? Click bait site?

As for the last paragraph, that is the most ludicrous statement I have read from you, and that is after the tripe you wrote about Brexit, i can only conclude that you are attempting dry humour. As other's have said, there are other websites who do this already, one is even owned by the state. Radio Sweden!
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 27.Jul.2016, 01:12 PM
Post #18

In defense of TheLocal, if people do not like it's content, they are free to go elsewhere...If you are running a business there are always those that do not want your product...

Obviously there are many readers that are happy here or don't think TheLocal's standards are beneath them...

Some are not...It's just the way it is...
+
yet another brit
post 27.Jul.2016, 02:51 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 27.Jul.2016, 06:39 AM) *
Such as?

newsvoice.se [alt-left bollocks]
nyheteridag.se [alt-right bollocks]

in both cases, as well as others of the ilk, you may actually prefer the editorial stance of the Local.
+
LLHope
post 27.Jul.2016, 06:04 PM
Post #20

The only difference is the local is privately owned and managed, and the material printed on the local is not written by foreign copywriters who often have a poor grasp of English.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Best laugh I have had so far this week, Thanks smile.gif
+
Gjeebes
post 27.Jul.2016, 06:38 PM
Post #21

This "The Local" is "English "news"". I fail to understand how comparisons to online Swedish language "news" "sources" make for any comparison.

Anyway, what is interesting, is how the Swedish version of TL seems to be quite lacking in comparison with other editions. Seems like there "can be" less lefty-nutter bubble-gum trash in certain other versions.

Maybe just down to the quality of country? Let's face it, once we've left Meatballia, whom will truly give it a second thought?

And anyway, we all know what Sweden looks like with the lights off. Whom in their right minds would come to TL Sweden for any other reason than to have a laugh on this forum?! I know I rarely read the crap here, except for a word count in the titles, for these gems: Sweden, Swedes, Stockholm, and did I mention Sweden, and Swedes?

It's like they know it is so bad, written at such a low level as to make Readers Digest seem Shakespearean even if only written at the Grade 4 level, that only morons go there to read "news", where they feel required to remind us which edition we are on, in each and every title (almost).

The pointlessness of it is truly entertaining, as is the nearly constant sponsoring by "American Express".
+
Grahamsmjöl
post 28.Jul.2016, 08:56 AM
Post #22

QUOTE (Savage @ 27.Jul.2016, 04:44 PM) *
If anyone really thinks they can do a better job than the local, feel free to try.I can assure you its not as simple as it seems, and you will find that airing Sweden's di ... (show full quote)

I completely disagree with you and would suggest that you don't know Swedes at all! I mix with a large amount of Swedes and migrant Swedes who would welcome a news site that reports actual news from Sweden and not PR puff.

Besides that, I am talking about Swedish news in English for people living in Sweden. Newly arrived people want and need to know what is going on to help integrate.

Next, it IS as easy as it sounds! And if I didn't already have a day job I would do it myself! Four years ago I had a project where I ran a 'nättidning' for people in the infamous Fas3 and we very successfully did it for 2 years for 0 profit, 0 adverts (we were not paid, yes, I was one of them).

As for articles are not designed to be translated. You do come out with some horse sh*t sometimes!

I know, maybe 4 other people capable of translating articles. I am well able to create a news website using Wordpress, as I mentioned I did it before. I'd use a very good theme called Newspaper7.

The them costs £39, website and domain name I can get for £10 so I can be up and running within a week.

If anyone reading this is interested in translating some articles, all website profits go to charity and I'll pay for the start up costs.

If anyone is interested to see how it would look here's the theme site:
http://demo.tagdiv.com/newspaper/
+
Hisingen
post 28.Jul.2016, 11:37 AM
Post #23

In today's Daily Mail - Mailonline - there is this article regarding those gropies in Gbg. during the Gothia Cup.

You can see from the article one of the sources of their information. cool.gif

Read about the Gothia groping
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 28.Jul.2016, 12:51 PM
Post #24

It's another attempt to poach TheLocal's customers!!!

Surely a true sign if success...
+
Hisingen
post 28.Jul.2016, 08:36 PM
Post #25

The Local is quoted again in the DM.

About a female bikini-clad cop making an arrrest

Whom is working with whom?? Or is the local getting paid for its 'news'.
+
Bsmith
post 28.Jul.2016, 10:04 PM
Post #26

The Local masquerades as a news site, but we know it's really not. But it can be entertaining at times and that is why some of us are here.
+
andy_fin
post 29.Jul.2016, 01:20 PM
Post #27

to mix news, paid news, pr, advertising and 3rd party interests

What would you say the ratios of the above 5 are? And is 'news' a big enough component?
In my mind i imagine the core policy of TL should be simple and obvious and written in HUGE letters on the walls of the office.
Sweden's news in English
But thats not really the company aim is it? we can all see it in the production.
'News' is the 'Click bait' bait.

Click bait as you call it, is an outdated model that the local does not try to appeal to.

Yes your site most definitely is hosting click bait.
Most of the taboola links are "Learn this Stockholm housewife's simple trick to lose 30kg in just 3 weeks"
Taboola: The internet firm at the forefront of 'click-bait'

What we're all saying is that this is a product / service that many people want to see and to see such glaring problems with it is disappointing. Sorry i'll re-phrase that because while it's problems to the user it's because of mis-aligned priorities.
We want to view the news with some general Sweden fluff every now and then.
You appear to want to generate revenue through advertisements. With 'news' being the 'hook'

I'm mostly here for the forums (i'm not sure why, but it's sometimes good to hear from people with similar experiences and the trolls give me a chuckle). The front page is something i skip past on the way here but if the content were better and the sections better organised i'd spend much more time there.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 30.Jul.2016, 12:17 AM
Post #28

Poachers never win!!!
+
*Kaho*
post 30.Jul.2016, 10:01 AM
Post #29

Say what you want about clickbait. It exists for a reason and as long as people keep clicking the links, the model will continue.

A much bigger problem is how TL has become a mouthpiece for Swedish interests, publishing articles that are 'sponsored' (read 'paid for') by universities, tourist boards and government agencies.

It's a great way for Sweden to exercise soft power and these organisations are only too happy to pay for articles that look like news but have actually been crafted with their interests front and center. Readers, who might not spot that the sponsored articles have an agenda, are always the ones who lose out.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 30.Jul.2016, 10:55 AM
Post #30

Some people call it public relations...
+

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: