The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Very long unemployment

Chances of finding a job

eesh
post 18.Oct.2017, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Hej

I had an MSc in engineering mechanics at KTH nine years ago.
Currently, I am unemployed for more than two years (job options in my country are extremely limited).
What are my chances of finding now a job in Sweden?

PS I don't speak Swedish.
PPS Any general advice on my situation will be appreciated!

Thank you smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Bsmith
post 18.Oct.2017, 02:52 PM
Post #2

Sweden is a very tough place to find a job...especially w/o the language and (I assume) contacts. Being unemployed for two years is another strike against you. Perhaps the best course of action is to take a job, any job and establish yourself as employable, then start looking for better opportunities. It's always easier to negotiate from a position of power. If you are determined to move to Sweden, it also gives you time to start learning the language.

Good luck.
+
flaneur
post 18.Oct.2017, 03:49 PM
Post #3

Just apply to some companies and wait, you never know who might find you interesting / useful.
+
Mib
post 18.Oct.2017, 09:01 PM
Post #4

Well, my suggestion is to either be an intern to get some experience or focus on areas of interest that require highly skilled people ie. at the moment developers skills in Android, IOS etc are in great demand. Use your time to use the numerous free online training sites. Maybe you can focus on an area that is aligned to your career. That would make you unique.

You could seek for your area of expertise via agencies in London etc who are recruiting for Swedish companies in Sweden. It happens a lot in the IT world.

The other path is to get involved with meeting other people via LinkedIn, University meets etc to improve your network as that could open a few doors for you. Alternatively, find a job abroad with a large company with a view to get a transfer to Sweden if that's what you want to do.

Good luck!
+
eesh
post 19.Oct.2017, 03:04 PM
Post #5

Thank you for all these suggestions.
I regret not making an effort to find a thesis project in a company, perhaps it would have led me to a job. But I was home sick and therefore I left Sweden.
+
Svedallas
post 19.Oct.2017, 07:33 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (eesh @ 18.Oct.2017, 03:37 PM) *
HejI had an MSc in engineering mechanics at KTH nine years ago.Currently, I am unemployed for more than two years (job options in my country are extremely limited).What are my ... (show full quote)

If you were smart enough to get an MSc.
Why were you not smart enough to learn Swedish whilst unemployed for two years.

What did you do for two years?
+
eesh
post 19.Oct.2017, 08:56 PM
Post #7

I worked in a few companies since I graduated, the last company closed down.
During the two years I was aiming to find my next job.
Nothing came up from the interviews I've been in.
Time flies and the interviews become less and less frequent until I find myself in a problematic situation sad.gif
Only recently I contemplate trying my luck abroad as I am running out of options locally... and what other first candidate than Sweden?
Learning Swedish during my stay in Sweden was unnecessary as the studies were in English.
+
rex
post 19.Oct.2017, 10:05 PM
Post #8

1. Start the language courses asap. Once you can speak and understand some Swedish, you'd have the higher ground because you could say that you're "goal oriented" and serious about staying in the country. They kinda buy that shit.

2. Try to get a job, any job, cleaning, washing, moving in/out help, tutoring, personal assistant, anything that would pay the bills and keep you in the system. Immigrant run companies will hire you as long as you're polite and don't get carried away.

3. Consider doing some of the jobs that the commune offers once you can speak some Swedish. They often have special rules for people who have been unemployed for a long time; it would be easier for you to get a job thought that line.

4. Depending on your education, some more (special) education + language studies might open additional routes for employment. Especially for things that are in demand in Sweden. Check with your local commune about this. I think if you explained them your situation, they would offer valuable help to you. At the end of the day, education is free here and it's better to put "studying" on your resume than nothing.

5. Consider the suggestions by others.
+
Svedallas
post 20.Oct.2017, 07:01 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (eesh @ 19.Oct.2017, 09:56 PM) *
I worked in a few companies since I graduated, the last company closed down.During the two years I was aiming to find my next job.Nothing came up from the interviews I've ... (show full quote)

Time flies? 2 years is a long time to be on unemployment, and nothing to show for it.
It would have taken 6 months at home, full time, if there was determination to get Swedish up to speed.

This just sounds like you enjoyed the unemployment benefits, then it ran out...
You just made yourself unemployable. I would never employ anyone who had a 2 year gap

Being honest.
+
gsurya
post 20.Oct.2017, 07:47 PM
Post #10

@eesh : Dont lose heart. I recently got a break with a company in Sweden that I had worked with in 2010, after being in the wilderness & making little income in last 1.5 years. But I had non-work income coming in, so that was OK for me.

Do ANY work, work with non-profit organizations, work for free or very little, try a small business of your own or get back into studies - like a PhD maybe to get your resume going again.
+
john.boy
post 21.Oct.2017, 09:49 AM
Post #11

Sweden is the same as most countries where it is very hard for long-term unemployed to find new work, especially if it is a skilled profession.
+
eesh
post 21.Oct.2017, 10:08 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 20.Oct.2017, 09:01 PM) *
It would have taken 6 months at home, full time, if there was determination to get Swedish up to speed.

Why on earth would I learn Swedish while I'm in my home country and haven't yet secured a job in Sweden? This language has little use outside Sweden...

You just made yourself unemployable. I would never employ anyone who had a 2 year gap

You probably did without knowing it... Very few people nowadays have continuous gap-free employment history. Most "fix" their CV to hide such gaps in their past.
+
Bsmith
post 21.Oct.2017, 11:19 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (eesh @ 21.Oct.2017, 09:08 AM) *
Why on earth would I learn Swedish while I'm in my home country and haven't yet secured a job in Sweden? This language has little use outside Sweden...

Why you ask, because it takes several years to master a new language and, in your original post, you asked about getting a job in Sweden. It's called preparation.
+
Svedallas
post 21.Oct.2017, 01:15 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 21.Oct.2017, 12:19 PM) *
Why you ask, because it takes several years to master a new language and, in your original post, you asked about getting a job in Sweden. It's called preparation.

"Why on earth would you learn Swedish?" Well, you do realize that this is Sweden, and Swedish is the first language and barrier-to-entry to jobs, right?!
If a person is determined to live in Sweden, they learn the language. Period.
It does not matter where they are. People learn online, buy books...

Bsmith is right, poor preparation.
+
eesh
post 21.Oct.2017, 01:23 PM
Post #15

I am not familiar with the Swedish job market.
With many international companies in Sweden and with 3822 English language jobs in Sweden according https://www.thelocal.se/jobs/
it is not totally unreasonable to assume one could find a job before learning the language.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: