The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4   Reply to this topic

Gun laws around the world

Discuss opinions on various aspects of gun laws

Saywhatwhat
post 14.Sep.2019, 04:41 PM
Post #46

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 14.Sep.2019, 03:39 PM) *
I didn't say I want to do nothing, but what you are proposing is just political hijinks and will not solve the problem. For example, I am concerned with the Islamic terro ... (show full quote)

Oh boy, like a little worm squirming away from the issue.

First off, there isn’t a crisis of Islamic terrorism happening in America. The majority of terrorism happening in America is far right extremism. Are you daft?

“According to a 2017 report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office, "of the 85 violent extremist incidents that resulted in death since September 12, 2001, Far-right politics violent extremist groups were responsible for 62 (73 percent) while radical Islamist violent extremists were responsible for 23 (27 percent).”

The terrorism taking place in America is the random mass/ school shootings largely carried out by white male conservatives.

America needs massive gun law reform to curb the violence. There are many free countries where people still have guns but nor the death toll. Gun law reform works. There are many examples to follow.
Go to the top of the page
+
Bsmith
post 14.Sep.2019, 11:22 PM
Post #47

And there isn't a gun crisis in America, either. The top 10 causes of death in the US are: heart disease, cancer, accidental injuries, chronic lower respiratory diseases, stroke, Alzheimer disease, diabetes, influenza and pneumonia, kidney disease, and suicide. This does not even factor in the most common cause of death in America which is abortion. In 2015, the most recent year for which data is available, a total of 638,169 abortions were reported. Far, far away much more of a crisis than mass shootings of which the total so far is 313.

You seem to cherry pick your "crisises".
+
Gjeebes
post 15.Sep.2019, 04:36 AM
Post #48

Gun homicide rate in the US is 25 times that of other high income countries.

"Access to a gun increases the risk of death by homicide by two times"

So ya, BSmith is right, the US does NOT seem to have a gun problem.

https://everytownresearch.org/gun-violence-america/

Oh, and ONLY 313 mass shootings. Lookin good USA, lookin good.
+
Bsmith
post 15.Sep.2019, 11:55 AM
Post #49

Yes, I get it Gjeebes, you don´t like America much. You didn´t care for Sweden as well. Hopefully you have now found a place to your liking.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 15.Sep.2019, 02:54 PM
Post #50

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 15.Sep.2019, 12:22 AM) *
And there isn't a gun crisis in America, either. The top 10 causes of death in the US are: heart disease, cancer, accidental injuries, chronic lower respiratory diseases, ... (show full quote)

Cherry pick crisEs? We have been debating gun laws for 4 pages in a thread created to talk about gun laws in America with gun laws two times in the title.

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 15.Sep.2019, 12:55 PM) *
Yes, I get it Gjeebes, you don´t like America much. You didn´t care for Sweden as well. Hopefully you have now found a place to your liking.

Why do you think they don’t like America? They haven’t said anything of the sort.

It seems more that you don’t like America because you keep your head buried in the sand about the need for gun law reform. Take a look at the many many fine examples of countries whose gun policies allow people to own guns but have a vastly lower death toll due to gun violence.

America can greatly reduce the amount of gun violence and mass/ school shootings through massive gun law reform.
+
Bsmith
post 15.Sep.2019, 03:45 PM
Post #51

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 15.Sep.2019, 01:54 PM) *
. . America can greatly reduce the amount of gun violence and mass/ school shootings through massive gun law reform.

Yes, it can with actual security and this can be accomplished immediately.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 15.Sep.2019, 03:51 PM
Post #52

The best way to stop gun violence is to vote Democrat...

Beto O'Rourke for President!!!
+
Saywhatwhat
post 15.Sep.2019, 04:20 PM
Post #53

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 15.Sep.2019, 04:51 PM) *
The best way to stop gun violence is to vote Democrat.... Beto O'Rourke for President!!!

It shouldn’t be, nor be seen as a partisan issue.
+
Gjeebes
post 15.Sep.2019, 05:22 PM
Post #54

"Yes, I get it Gjeebes, you don´t like America much. You didn´t care for Sweden as well. Hopefully you have now found a place to your liking."

Not true. Have had some great times in the US. Met some nice people too. Fabulous geography as well.

I am just not going to pretend their aren't massive and serious problems there, pre-Trumpty-Dumpty. And I found some of the comments here seem to gloss over real issues with pretty weak arguments.

Canada and the US have totally different histories. We didn't have niggers, nor slaves etc. I would say though that our treatment (i.e. by the Canadian and English govt's) of Native peoples equates to a mild form of Apartheid.

We are dealing with that legacy to this day, as do yous with mistakes of your govt's past. The gun laws you swear by were written during times of civil war, and are now archaic and not fit for purpose; currently totally exaggerated by powerful lobby groups like the NRA, for profit.

Thankfully that is a problem Canada doesn't have, nor any other civilised country, at least to my knowledge.
+
Bsmith
post 15.Sep.2019, 06:01 PM
Post #55

The Constitution was written in 1787, about 100 years before the Civil War.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 17.Sep.2019, 10:24 PM
Post #56

Three countries have gun possession in their constitutions, the US has the strongest wording for possession by the people...

Politicians can almost at will; in other countries dictate to citizens what rights
THEY, the politicians...will allow them to have!!!
+
Saywhatwhat
post 18.Sep.2019, 07:23 AM
Post #57

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 15.Sep.2019, 07:01 PM) *
The Constitution was written in 1787, about 100 years before the Civil War.

One can easily say that the conflicts leading up to the constitution were civil disputes/ civil war. Besides Gjeebes said civil war... not The Civil War.

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 17.Sep.2019, 11:24 PM) *
Three countries have gun possession in their constitutions, the US has the strongest wording for possession by the people...Politicians can almost at will; in other countries ... (show full quote)

Are you implying the logical fallacy of a slippery slope?

Or are you just describing a republic?

You get a “D” in social studies.
+

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: