The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

English anyone?

*Selena*
post 18.Jan.2006, 10:11 AM
Post #1

Well I moved here about 1 month ago from Canada. I am trying to learn Swedish. But it's hard to find the avenues to do so. I am enrolled in SFI. I don't start till the end of the month. I would like to know if there is a way to meet some other Canadian people here. People who possibly know Swedish as well. I am well educated and I want to find a job here. I am very anxious to start learning more than just the handfull of words I know. Maybe someone has some tips or advice for me?

Selena biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
*Mark Boy*
post 18.Jan.2006, 10:14 AM
Post #2

Welcome Selena, sorry for the moan in advance, but what is your definition of ''well educated'' aren't we all...and a good education doesn't really help getting a job here in Sweden BUT GOOD LUCK! anyhow.
+
Rachel F
post 18.Jan.2006, 10:32 AM
Post #3

Welcome to Sweden Selena!

There are a few different English speakers' club here - I've just had a look and found this for you...www.canclub.org which is the Canadian club or there is also www.escc.se which is the English Speakers Community Club - they are very good at organising social events so you may want to join.

Good morning Mark Boy ...how is Mr Ollie today?!
+
*Selena*
post 18.Jan.2006, 10:32 AM
Post #4

I have a job lined up now. But I need to learn some Swedish, enough to get by for now. Then once I get into the job it will be easier to learn. Right now I don't know anyone really here. I need people to practice with and stuff. I wan't to start this job but I need to learn pretty quick. She told me I don't have to speak perfect Swedish for the postion. But for the people who don't speak english, I need to be able to communicate with them.

Selena
+
*Mark Boy*
post 18.Jan.2006, 10:38 AM
Post #5

Are you actually in Sweden now? where do you live? If you are already been accepted for a job WELL DONE! The language is a problem with employment but from what I know and from what I have been told from other members of the Local, communication is the key to having a successful life here in Sweden. I have become VERY anti-social and a HUGE moan! a complete personality change from the ''old Mark'

Shame on me! :roll:
+
*Selena*
post 18.Jan.2006, 10:46 AM
Post #6

Yes, I am in Sweden now. I live in Skarholmen. Yes the lady told me she would hire me no prob. But I need to know a little more Swedish than I do. I hope this SFI school is good. I am not too sure. But I guess you will never know unless you take a chance.

Selena
+
*Mark Boy*
post 18.Jan.2006, 10:51 AM
Post #7

Which SFI are you going to, I went and to be honest it didn't impress me so I changed and went to Folkuniversitetet which I found much better even though it costs 2500kr per course, though well worth it! BUT as you said, take a chance...what is the job...
+
*Selena*
post 18.Jan.2006, 10:59 AM
Post #8

I am a dental nurse. I am going to the Aso Gymnasium. Thought I might pick the bigger one. Did you meet any interesting people in SFI. Or am I just hopless in thinking that. I heard about the Folk univ. but I am going to try SFI first I will know in the first week if its what I am interested in. If not I will go to the Folk for some more info and start there. Free course sounds good but not all good things are free. LOL!
+
*Mark Boy*
post 18.Jan.2006, 11:00 AM
Post #9

Thats true it is free, what SFI are you going to? I am a Reg.Nurse!
+
*Selena*
post 18.Jan.2006, 11:02 AM
Post #10

I am going to the one by Skanstull, ASO Gym.
Selena
+
*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 18.Jan.2006, 11:02 AM
Post #11

I read on AMS that dental nurses and dentists are two of the jobs that Sweden will lack in the future, and likely have to fill with people from abroad.
+
*Selena*
post 18.Jan.2006, 11:11 AM
Post #12

This is true, because all the people that were born in the 50's and such will be looking to retire soon. Thats a lot of people "baby boomers" so there will be an shortage of people qualified enough to hire. I like my job I miss doing it. But I wanted to see Europe so I took the leap. I think I was crazy sometimes. I had a great job I was just promoted to Office Manager. Big raise and stuff. Then I got a brilliant idea, hey why don't I move to Europe for a year. But I figure that I needed some adventure in my life. I lived in the city I was born in all my life. I had never even flown till I left. But I am lookng forward to meeting new people and having some fun. I think the summer here is going to be beautiful. The winter here is not that bad, heck last New Years it was -57 deg cel. with the wind chill where I am from. I went out last week when it was nice in a 3/4 legnth shirt and a vest, no jacket. People were staring at me, it was funny cause I was staring at them in their big coats, mitts, scarfs and toques.
Selena
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 18.Jan.2006, 11:24 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Mark Boy)
Are you actually in Sweden now? where do you live? If you are already been accepted for a job WELL DONE! The language is a problem with employment but from what I know and from what I have been told from other members of the Local, communication is the key to having a successful life here in Sweden. I have become VERY anti-social and a HUGE moan! a complete personality change from the ''old Mark'

Shame on me! :roll:

<off topic>
Have you thought at all about opening a shop? It seems like that would be perfect for social you, people coming and going all day, you'd get to shop yourself (buy stock) and you could take Ollie to work with you, too.
+
geraco
post 18.Jan.2006, 11:31 AM
Post #14

i realise you weren't talking to me, but i had some vague plans about opening a smoothie store in Gothenburg when i came over, but with tax at 50% it hardly seems worth it.

Although if we all pooled our money in we could open a shop. tongue.gif
+
*Mark Boy*
post 18.Jan.2006, 11:37 AM
Post #15

I agree Geraco, I attended quite a few meetings about ''opening a new business in Sweden'' as I am not on any sort of benefit I would have to have the cash up front which luckily I could do BUT the tax is unbelievable. My idea was a coffee shop that would be done correctly as coffee is not prepared properly here and is WELL over priced!

I am still thinking about it but then again, Joakim and I are also thinking about moving to Edinburgh!

SO WHO KNOWS!
+

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: