The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Swedish translation for genealogy

Lisa M. Stevens
post 19.Jan.2006, 10:40 PM
Post #1

Hi, I am doing genealogy research and have been hitting a brick wall. But yesterday I found what I believe is an obituary which could help me a great deal in my research. The problem is it is written in Swedish. I don't know any Swedish and am not having much success in translating it myself. So, I was wondering if anyone knows of someone who might be able to translate it for me? I can post it or send it to someone, however it will work best. I hope someone can help me and thank you in advance!
Go to the top of the page
+
*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 19.Jan.2006, 10:47 PM
Post #2

I could translate it for you, but it wont be in perfect english then.
+
Lisa M. Stevens
post 21.Jan.2006, 07:53 PM
Post #3

Hi, I am so pleased that you would be willing to try translating the obituary for me. biggrin.gif How should I do it? I can type it in here or send it to you by email? I thought about posting it here and then if you got stuck maybe someone else might be able to help. I have figured out some of it but other parts I am stuck on. And then some just don't make sense. I think it's because of the difference in written Swedish and written English. Let me know if you are still interested and if so how I should send it. :?: Thank you very much, Lisa
+
Muckle
post 21.Jan.2006, 08:38 PM
Post #4

Lisa, why don't you post it here and you'll probably get a few efforts - I'll have a go for you too.
+
*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 21.Jan.2006, 09:14 PM
Post #5

Yeah, posting it here would work great smile.gif
+
Lisa M. Stevens
post 21.Jan.2006, 10:23 PM
Post #6

I will put it up as soon as I figure out if I can copy and paste it here. I can't type it in because I don't have any way to make the pronunciation marks above the letters. You will need them won't you?
+
*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 21.Jan.2006, 10:50 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Lisa M. Stevens)
You will need them won't you?

Maybe, but we should be able to guess most of the words.
+
Aneud
post 21.Jan.2006, 10:53 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Lisa M. Stevens)
I will put it up as soon as I figure out if I can copy and paste it here. I can't type it in because I don't have any way to make the pronunciation marks above the letters. You will need them won't you?

Short C&P tutorial:

Method 1. Select the text (hold your left mouse button down as you scroll along the lines you want to copy then release while making sure it's still blue) hit the right mouse button and select Copy from the drop down menu then place your mouse on a post here, right click again, select Paste on the drop down menu.

Method 2. Select the text (as above) then click the "Ctrl" key at the same time with the "C" key. Place mouse in the post box here, then press the "Ctrl" key at the same time with the "V" key.

Done.
+
Lisa M. Stevens
post 22.Jan.2006, 12:32 AM
Post #9

I know how to cut and paste but it is a pdf document in Adobe and it won't let me. I will try again.
+
*Streja*
post 22.Jan.2006, 12:34 AM
Post #10

I think you can change it on there...instead of using the hand you go to the A I think...the big A??? Get it?
+
Aneud
post 22.Jan.2006, 12:35 AM
Post #11

Well sorry about that, I was trying to help... Tried converting the PDF into a word document? Depending on your version it may work.
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 22.Jan.2006, 12:37 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Streja)
I think you can change it on there...instead of using the hand you go to the A I think...the big A??? Get it?

A? as in The Scarlet Letter "A"?

Sweet
+
*Streja*
post 22.Jan.2006, 12:43 AM
Post #13

In acrobat read there is a hand on the mouse thingy when you move it the document moves. You can change it to text and select the text, if you click on the A instead of the hand. I may be wrong.
+
Lisa M. Stevens
post 22.Jan.2006, 06:43 PM
Post #14

Hi Everyone! I want to thank all of you again for trying to help. I tried all of your suggestions with acrobat and couldn't get it to work. So I will just type it in and hope the missing pronunciation marks won't hurt. I have made out some but am missing quite a bit and some of what I have doesn't make alot of sense. So, Here goes! Good Luck! [b]Krossad till dods. Jonathan Crago vagnsrengorare a Burlington och Missouribanan, blef den 26te sistlidne, kl. 7:15 pa qvallen, dodad af ett Union Pacific - vexellokomotiv, vid 28dje och Wowatta - gatorna. Han spatserade vid olyckstillfallet i sallskap med sin hustru och sin svagerska, mrs. M. Close. Ett inkommande Burlington - passageraretag narmade sig dem. De stego ur vagen for detsamma, endast for att blifva pakorda af ett Union Pacific - vexellokomotiv. Crago blef nastan ogonblickligen dodad och hans hustru erholl svara skador. Mr. Crago hade fatt sitt hufvud krossadt, bada oronen afslitna, alla refbenen i brostkorgens venstra halfva krossade och kroppen pa annat satt illa tilltygad. I lifstiden bodde Crago jemte sin familj i no. 1963 Stanton avenue, nara Burlington - verkstaderna.[/b] That's all of it. I think I got the spelling accurate but if you have any questions just let me know. If it makes a difference this was written in 1892. I don't know if that makes a difference.[/b]
+
Alice Is Back
post 22.Jan.2006, 07:08 PM
Post #15

okay here is my attempt:

crushed to death. J. Crago a wagon shunterer on the Bur. and Mi. railway, died on the 26th 7.15 pm and was killed by a U.P. shunting loc at the corner of 28th and Wowatta str. He was walking during the time of the accident with his wife and sister-in-law Mrs. M. C. An incoming Burl. passenger train came closer to them. They moved out of the way of this train but then was run over by a shunting loc. C. was almost killed instantly and his wife suffered severe injuries. Mr C had his head crushed, both ears were cut off, all ribs in the left side of the body were crushed and the body was otherwise badly knocked about. C. lived with his family on 1963 Stanton Ave, near the Burl. yards.

N.B.: a shunting loc is a smaller engine which is used to put train cars together on the yards and to pull trains between a train station and the yards

A really sad story
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: