The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Do I go to SFI or they contact us

Abid Hussain
post 20.Sep.2005, 07:16 PM
Post #1

I have recently got my residence permit and i am told I am entitled to learn swedish for migrants through some SFI. I am just not sure whether they will contact me and ask me to come to skole or am I supposed to go somewhere to get register and reserve my plave in SFI. I am living in Malmö. thankx.
Go to the top of the page
+
Michele
post 21.Sep.2005, 06:18 AM
Post #2

You will need to do a search and find your kommun's webpage and check out their education section. You are looking for 'SFI' or in english 'Swedish For Immigrants' or in Swedish 'Svenska För Invandrare'. I dont know where in Malmö you are to know your kommun name to help you. In my kommun information, I found this:

Swedish for immigrants - SFI
Swedish for immigrants (SFI) is for those living in Huddinge. Tuition is free of charge. You can register at any time during the year. Registration times are Monday 1.00 pm - 3.00 pm and Thursday 3.00 pm ? 5.30 pm. Bring your passport and ID from the tax authorities with you.

How to reach us:
Visiting address: Patron Pehrs väg 6, 2nd floor.
Contact person: Annika Tingmalm Dengin, telephone: +46 8 535 311 01
e-mail: annika.tingmalm-dengin@adm.huddinge.se

Perhaps if you are unable to find information for your own Kommun, you could contact this woman here and ask her for the number in your area? smile.gif

Good luck!
+
*Tom*
post 21.Sep.2005, 08:30 AM
Post #3

We seem to be having this conversation in two places... So here's my post again!

Abid, as Michele says, you need to go to your local SFI place. But the confusing thing is that there is no central SFI office you can call for info (as far as I can tell). It seems that in each kommun there is a certain company, or companies, that provides the courses. Where I am it was Lernia.

They seem to have people starting all the time - you'll have to do a test and then they'll put you in the appropriate group. And you can decide whther you study full time or just in the evenings.
+
Solady813
post 16.Oct.2005, 08:33 PM
Post #4

Trust me, if you wait for them to come to you,,,,,,,,,it will never happen.
+
*Andersson*
post 16.Oct.2005, 10:42 PM
Post #5

Coudn't agree more! As with many things here, it's like sqeezing blood from a stone to get the information you need.
When I arrived in our small town, I had no idea where to turn to so I rang Försäkringskassan, went into the local AF (and THEY couldn't even help me)..I actually can't remember how I found out but when I finally found the SFI classes I was there one day before they decided that wasn't the right course for me and then I was sent to another town to take a "last minute test" for SAS (which I'd never heard of until then) in time for the beginning of term. This and trying to inschool my 2 children into dagis in less than the "required" 2 weeks so I could start at the beginning of term in August (I had been asking questions since May..but then trying to get any info June, July and part of Aug is impossible anyway..
+
Solady813
post 17.Oct.2005, 05:59 AM
Post #6

I stopped squeezing that stone last January. But they finally let me take one of the test. It took about 15 minutes to complete and check it twice. The Teacher said there's no way I could be finished. it took the others almost 2 hrs, and some never even finished. I wanted to take all of the test, but I have no chance of it.

I guess I didn't abuse the system enough as others do, I showed up everyday with homework completed and usually brought the class cookies at least once a week. Plus they didn't get any pay for me. I've been told this class is for everyone, wrong.

We don't have an SFI in our village as of last fall, the teacher had a couple of breakdowns. They sent us 23 k to another place. Even paid for the bus card for a couple of months. So the school in the villiage said they couldn't pay for my ticket anymore,,,,,,,the teacher in the other school did all he could to make me quit. I'm stubborn. So as I watched he stop one lady at the door, he told her she wasn't allowed to come back. Absence to much. But the others were out as much or more, he dare not to say a word to them. Some days we would sit in class all day, he and one other would talk all day. Not the whole class, just one. This would go on many times. We would learn nothing. I have taught myself more at home, but it doesn't help with when ask for SFI papers.

I still don't understand, but I can't take any other classes without them.
+
Abracadabra
post 17.Oct.2005, 08:11 AM
Post #7

Weird. All I ever hear is how complicated it is to go to SFI. And then they wonder why immigrants - particularly the ones who aren't lucky enough (in some respects) to have a Swedish partner - are not being integrated into the society.

Integrationsverket, or whatever it's called, should be falling over themselves to get everyone speaking Swedish.
+
Solady813
post 17.Oct.2005, 08:50 AM
Post #8

I agree with you Sleep.

It isn't hard to get started, but once you are in class you are told not to speak any English. I listened for 3 days, Never knew what the teacher was saying. At times he sounded as if he were asking me a question, I shrugged my shoulders. I try my best to go by the rules.

I wondered, how are we suppose to learn words in Swedish if they don't teach us the Swedish alphabet. I kept listening. One day I could take no more,,,,,,,,,So I ask, How am I to learn anything if I don't understand what you are saying? He told me to use the dictionary. But, I can't spell what you are saying, so how can I look it up?

We sit and listen to the teacher week after week after week, it was so boring by just sitting and not participating. Three weeks later, I learned: JAG FÖRSTÅR INTE ( I don't understand) from a German lady, The classes are hard when you don't understand anything. They will tell you as you walk in, speak no other language, only Swedish.

I'm sorry but all of my life, I've learn from my mistakes. But, not by being silent. I feel as if the problem: DO AS I DO AND DON'T ASK QUESTIONS. Maybe I'm wrong...
+
Benzed
post 3.Nov.2005, 02:42 PM
Post #9

any idea whether the Working Holiday visa scheme is part of this free Swedish learning courses phenomenon?

Ta.
+
Gower76
post 3.Nov.2005, 04:51 PM
Post #10

Benzed, do you mean if you're here on a visa, can you go to SFI free? If so... I'm not sure.

If I remember correctly you had to have a personnummer (personal number) before you could join SFI. I know plenty of students who had one and were on the course - so if you can register and get a number, you should be able to do the course.

Hope that's sort of helpful...
+
*David OL*
post 3.Nov.2005, 04:56 PM
Post #11

Benzed: If you are on a 3 month tourist visa you are excluded from Govt. handouts - SFI included. A Residency permit is required. Sorry mate.
+
Lelebeauxart
post 3.Nov.2005, 05:14 PM
Post #12

You're not qualified for a handout just because you study at SFI. I think you have to be studying the SAS course before you qualify. Even then you may not qualify for benefits.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: