The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Job advice Please

*Richard Ford*
post 11.Oct.2005, 10:21 AM
Post #1

I have recently moved from the UK (Cardiff) To live with my girlfriend in Avesta Sweden.
I love it here but I really need a job. Avesta is a small town about 20000 pop. Famous for its Steel Mill. Can anybody with similar experience give me some advice. Also I have not contacted immigration so I could do with some advice on that also.. My email is richyford@fsmail.net
Go to the top of the page
+
Kl05
post 11.Oct.2005, 10:39 AM
Post #2

Hi Richard. Have you had a look at AMS? See this link: http://platsbanken.ams.se/region/60901/ I wish you all luck in finding a job.
+
Solady813
post 14.Oct.2005, 10:08 AM
Post #3

Richard, you can also look in moster.se I can't say if you can find a job here or not. it's according to what professional experiences you have. With everything I know how to do, no luck yet...You may need to contact immigration in Norrköping first..

But I wish you the best.
+
*Lw*
post 14.Oct.2005, 10:27 AM
Post #4

Acquanetta you forgot the N. It´s called www.monster.se. :wink:
+
Eyallow
post 14.Oct.2005, 10:52 AM
Post #5

Hey, good luck with the search! Sweden recently dropped from its usually coveted top 5 position of nations most conducive to live in mainly because of unemployment . So be ready to go through some tough moments if you dont get lucky very quick.

Check the following sites:
www.jobline.se, www.stepstone.se, www.akademikerjobb.se, www.jobbfinder.se, www.jobpilot.se, www.ecojob.se, www.proffice.se, www.alumni.se

Make sure that you check the ads in the newspapers.
+
Skånedave
post 14.Oct.2005, 11:07 AM
Post #6

Be patient - it took me over a year to get a "proper" job. The best thing to do in the meantime is go to Komvux (council-run adult education) and learn Swedish. Once you get past the first level, SFI, which takes about a term, you can study full-time and get a grant. If you are over 25 you can apply for rekryteringsbidrag and get about 6500 kronor a month, which you don't have to pay back.
+
Solady813
post 15.Oct.2005, 12:12 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Lw)
Acquanetta you forgot the N. It´s called www.monster.se. :wink:

Thanks for the correction, it wasn't my day. I will speak to my spell check... :wink:
+
Benzed
post 1.Nov.2005, 11:31 AM
Post #8

Most of all I am fascinated to know how some of you guys have been surviving for upwards of one YEAR with no job!?! How do you exist and finance your life without income for so long??

I must assume I did not bring along enough money, because after one month I will probably throw myself in one of Gothenburg´s canals if I have no job.
+
*Tom*
post 1.Nov.2005, 11:37 AM
Post #9

There seem to be some standard jobs that foreigners I know have fallen into before finding the job they really wanted to do:

Bar work
Cafe work
Post delivery with CityMail
Translation
Part time teaching

Other than that, I suppose it's savings, living frugally, state benefits, partners...
+
Benzed
post 1.Nov.2005, 11:39 AM
Post #10

Well my visa provisos include not touching any money of the state ... perhaps as a non EU man this is my downfall though.

This mail delivery sounds worth a laugh, I hope you get to ride a bike around and keep fit as part of the job.
+
*Tom*
post 1.Nov.2005, 12:24 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Benzed)
This mail delivery sounds worth a laugh, I hope you get to ride a bike around and keep fit as part of the job.

Yeah, you do - it gets a bit chilly in the winter but it's regular work and you get home early enough too. I think they give you a nice jacket too.
+
Benzed
post 1.Nov.2005, 01:24 PM
Post #12

well if i get rejected for the job i was interviewed for this morning, i will get onto citymail tomorrow without fail.
+
Mnemonic
post 1.Nov.2005, 04:44 PM
Post #13

My advise when looking for a job.. don't go through AMS as most people refer to here. You can maybe sign in there to get unemployment money but to find a job. The best experiense I had is if you go to a company directly and introduce yourself and ask if there might be some jobs for you and leave them a calling card. They are more likely to call you if they can put a face to a name then hire someone from a standard form sent from AMS.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: