The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Banning of comments on articles

Usual false informtaion by The Local

FearSelfLoath
post 8.Mar.2016, 10:03 AM
Post #1

As usual, certainly with the subject of Brexit, The Local prints articles that contain false and misleading information.

If that in itself isn't bad enough they ban or disable to function to allow people to add comments after the article so we might correct their lazy journalism.

I could go on to dissect the article but I don't want to bore you or myself more than I need to. Suffice to say I am angry and saddened that so many people and companies with an audience are spreading false information regarding Brexit. They scaremonger in order to get a result that matches their agenda.

It doesn't take a person with too many braincells to know that as The Local is based in Europe and trades in Europe they want the UK to stay in the EU at all costs.

I even replied to one of The Local's 'journalists' on Twitter (James Savage) after he made a remark about ex-pats being worried about Brexit. I told him I and fellow ex-pats I know are in favour of Brexit. He replied that he was surprised and asked why. I thought we might have an intelligent debate but he ignored my reply.

In my reply I made it clear we are not anti Europe, not anti free trade we are anti EU.

But apparently they is easier to go with headlines that say we will all be sent home if we vote out, how people are scared to be deported, etc. What kind of journalism is that?

I have written in many places, BBC forums, Daily Mail, Guardian, Twitter, Facebook groups, etc. that I am tired of lies, false information and part truths. From all sides. I want everyone to get truthful information so everyone can vote with the correct facts at hand.

Saying anyone will be deported is a joke. I can't say it won't happen but they can't say it will. We don't know but I think it is unlikely because it will be a line in the sand moment. From that point forward.

Sweden has a large population in the UK, would they want us to do to them what they "will" do to us? Here is an official statistic for you. There are over 400,000 French nationals registered in London but only just over 16,000 British nationals registered in Paris.

Let's have mass deportations, England will have a bit more space, a lot more jobs, cheaper housing and I would welcome being sent home... Oh way, after 3 years I seem to have automatically been given permanent stay status. Oops!

http://www.thelocal.se/20160308/why-these-...ed-about-brexit
Go to the top of the page
+
andy_fin
post 8.Mar.2016, 12:33 PM
Post #2

Well said couldn't agree more.
I read that article on TL this morning and couldn't believe how unbalanced and lacking in logical and coherent arguments it was.

Jason Dainter, 31, Head of Brand Relations for Universal Avenue and manager of startup event Uppstart, Uppsala
Is worried about being able to get a job in the rest of Europe.
A successful entrepeneur? Would it really be difficult for him to get a job outside the EU today? He's also applying for dual citizenship so he'd still have an EU passport.
Seems as though nothing would change in his life either way.

Claire Duffy, 37, writer, Stockholm
Who ever suggested you're being asked to move home? Seriously give me one single source.

Chelsea Foreman, 21, English and history teaching student, Karlstad
If Britain leaves the EU, it will make exchange programmes and even school trips abroad so much more difficult for Brits.

Erm in what way? We'll have to take passports, oh wait. They won't speak English in europe anymore, oh wait.
This is not a reason.
I do have the right to apply for a Swedish one but this would cost me a lot more money,

How much? I'd guess it would cost you a moderate to small amount of money.

Delina ?stborn, 40, former lawyer and mother, Stockholm
Most sensible comment of the lot, admits to not knowing the full story and wishes she had more information. Also recognises that stigmas are being attached to certain view points.

Craig Mitchell, 33, Phd student and entrepreneurship lecturer, Lund
I appreciate the Scottish have a view but i'm just bored of reading about the whole SI thing we did that all last year. You voted to stay. Personally i'd have voted for you to leave just to end the whole whining.

Kristian Hell, 36, founder of Sideline City run club and events organizer, Stockholm
Australian...
The perks of her secondary British passport might be slightly watered down?

Was this the best that could be written? Did the writer submit this to an editor and he said "yeah this is good work well done!"?
+
skogsbo
post 9.Mar.2016, 09:26 AM
Post #3

I thought the same.

I wasn't sure if all the people they interviewed didn't understand current EU, UK, Swedish migration rules and legislation. And how it worked before the EU, Schengen etc..

Or, if the local had deliberately edited their opinion to sound anti brexit.

Their lack of understanding of the system that got them living here in the first place was a little staggering. There was no reason why any of them would be asked to leave as they were all permanent or dual national resident, those that weren't had been here long enough to apply and given they were all working etc.. they would be readily accepted.

Shocking journalism, as ever.
+
Hisingen
post 9.Mar.2016, 09:58 AM
Post #4

Despite some of the Local's journalists professing to have had journalist education, which should have introduced neutrality and objectivity to their way of writing (I will not say thinking for obvious reasons) they seem to be tarred - dare I say it - with a similar brush to that of most of the Swedish press, and they do not like to be criticised, hence the ban on comments. Free speech is not appreciated by them at all.

Their attitude towards Sweden is not exactly sympathetic either and makes you wonder why they are here also, along with many on these forums.

Now I shall add that 'dreaded' word that has a nice ring to it - - BREXIT. Hooray for Boris. biggrin.gif
+
andy_fin
post 9.Mar.2016, 10:56 AM
Post #5

Playing it a bit fast and loose with the word 'journalist' there.
Blogger?
Comments sections are usually used as a way of measuring reader engagement which helps in securing advertiser revenue.

TL should want a comments section it provides much better analytic data than page views which in turn is used by search engines to refine search results. The site is covered in clickbait so online marketing techniques are clearly there somewhere.

My guess is that they are not willing to pay for, or are unable to provide, manual moderation for the comments section so it's cheaper to not have one.
+
Phrozenkiwi
post 9.Mar.2016, 12:17 PM
Post #6

Some months ago The Local ran an editorial piece stating that Brexit would be bad for the UK and UK expats and therefore The Local would act as 'their voice' to campaign for staying in the EU. Of course, numerous commenters took them to task for displaying such pompous arrogance as to assume they spoke for all expats here (this was in the dying days of when comments were allowed on this site) - so be under no illusion that The Local has any intention of covering Brexit with any degree of impartiality.

The Local is nothing more than a left-wing blog that likes to pretend it's a newspaper (it's kinda cute how they like to use phrases like 'our correspondent', or 'The Local reached out for comment'). Nearly all of their 'news' can be found on the Radio Sweden site (in English, http://sverigesradio.se/sida/default.aspx?programid=2054) without the overwhelming number of advertisements. In fact, so bad are the number of ads on The Local that it is the only site I visit that has a custom setting on my adblocker. On my last visit to the main page, the adblocker count was 36 (not including the 5 advertorials masquerading as news stories). On this forum page the adblocker count shows 29.

I shudder to think what this site looks like without a fully armed and operational adblocker.
+
andy_fin
post 9.Mar.2016, 05:07 PM
Post #7

Some months ago The Local ran an editorial piece stating that Brexit would be bad for the UK and UK expats and therefore The Local would act as 'their voice' to campaign for staying in the EU.

How generous of them. Pretty sure my vote was my voice and ex-pats who have been abroad for <15 years are still eligible to vote.
http://votes-for-expat-brits-blog.com/2016...r-major-issues/

What did they base that decision on? political leanings?
The 'About Us' page is quite interesting, i might reach out and see why they came to this conclusion.
Not because i necessarily disagree i just don't know myself what the impacts of both choices mean fully.

Also that page seems to list plenty of revenue generating staff and not many who are responsible for content. Hardly surprising but interesting to see where their priorities lie.
+
intrepidfox
post 10.Mar.2016, 06:49 PM
Post #8

You should try their FaceBook page. Anything they disagree with they delete.
PS their grammar and spelling is just as bad
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Mar.2016, 11:17 PM
Post #9

What political view does TheLocal espouse???
+
Hisingen
post 11.Mar.2016, 09:54 PM
Post #10

It simply does not allow them.
But it does censor postings on the forums.
Now and then you can see that one of your comments has been 'cut off in its prime' so to speak. And since that is something another poster cannot do - - - - - - cool.gif
+
andy_fin
post 14.Mar.2016, 05:17 PM
Post #11

The local does not censor any comments.

By disabling the feature, i gather it was once prevalent, aren't you censoring all comments?

I use 'you' as 'Savage' may be:
James Savage
Managing Editor / Founder - @jamesstockholm

May also be a pseudonym, as i would assume the Managing Editor would have a forum account that was created earlier than yesterday.
+
Bsmith
post 14.Mar.2016, 06:09 PM
Post #12

I think it would be cool to have the last name of "Savage". Unless, of course, you were a 120 lb wimp.
+
andy_fin
post 14.Mar.2016, 06:22 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Savage @ 14.Mar.2016, 04:31 PM) *
The Local does not censor comments, unless they pose a threat to local law.

That's a completely admirable stance to take.
Did you have a situation where local law was being threatened by the comments section underneath an article?
I totally get it, comments are a pain to moderate and the reason they are often disabled on mainstream media articles is because the content is inflammatory and comments are unlikely to abide by the site rules.
I felt the Brexit article especially would have benefited from community discussion and was surprised it wasn't available.
More open discussion around this topic is sorely needed so people can make informed judgements.
+
intrepidfox
post 15.Mar.2016, 06:46 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Savage @ 14.Mar.2016, 05:31 PM) *
The Local does not censor comments, unless they pose a threat to local law.

That is utter crap and you know it. I have put links on this and FB with documents that are public knowledge that are freely availiable from the courts and TL has deleted my posts. Not just that, what the hell have they done when we have begged them to help us with spams concerning false passports and selling of drugs which is illigal all over the world? Nothing at all.

So if you ARE the real Mr Savage please relpy
+
yet another brit
post 15.Mar.2016, 07:16 PM
Post #15

Or is it Maddy Savage?
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: