The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

It's too damn hot

Karlstad is burning

DidiE
post 28.Jun.2010, 08:06 PM
Post #1

Yeah, I know. Complaining about heat during our full two weeks of Swedish summer is in poor taste. But I'm hot, dammit. The fans are packed up somewheres in the forrad, I can't get a breeze through the window, and I'm miserable. Somebody will be sure to post this again in December when I'm bitching about the cold, but it's at least 30 degrees in my office, and I want an arctic blast. NOW!
Go to the top of the page
+
mjennin2
post 28.Jun.2010, 08:19 PM
Post #2

Attached Image
It's been a while since the kittehz have made an appearance... biggrin.gif
+
Nemesis
post 28.Jun.2010, 08:41 PM
Post #3

I am just in from a BBQ. Could barely eat in the heat.
+
DidiE
post 28.Jun.2010, 08:45 PM
Post #4

It is so lame to complain, particularly after last winter. And I'm from Alaska! But it is hot, bordering on uncomfortable. Maybe because I try to use public transport, maybe because I walk a lot, but I've been miserable all day. And this is SWEDEN!!! I guess part of the problem is that I can't find air conditioning, outside of the Västragötalandsregionen bus system.
+
Rick Methven
post 28.Jun.2010, 09:39 PM
Post #5

The wifes niece and 3 boys - twins of 5 and an 8 year old are here for a week. when they got hot today they just jumped in the Gota Kanal biggrin.gif

Tomorrow its a local bad plats.

I might even join them - after I have bought a new PSU for one of my PC's that overheated and died when it hit 34 in my office angry.gif
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 28.Jun.2010, 10:09 PM
Post #6

WTF? What heat? Hot, no but yes its warm (for a change), but that's about it.

I've experienced much warmer temperatures in past Swedish summers.

DidiE perhaps you should head back towards the North Pole and Andrea maybe you should go back to the coolness of your witches cave. laugh.gif
+
richardbw
post 28.Jun.2010, 10:19 PM
Post #7

Cold showers and wet your bed sheets. It sounds kinky, but that is how survived the heat in Bulgaria for a month without air-con. Just to clarify, by wetting the bed sheet I mean take one bed sheet wet it in cold water and sleep under it (not, well, you know what I mean :-) )
+
post 28.Jun.2010, 10:20 PM
Post #8

LOL @ DidE. Someone said that you never freeze (indoors) in a cold climate and you're never too hot in a hot climate, but for those few weeks a year you can definitely be too hot/cold since no one wants to pay for the "trouble times"

interesting note i just heard. across the earth, we devote more energy to cooling than to heating. maybe we need to stop focusing on solar heating and focus more on solar cooling.
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 28.Jun.2010, 10:35 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (richardbw @ 28.Jun.2010, 11:19 PM) *
Cold showers and wet your bed sheets. It sounds kinky, but that is how survived the heat in Bulgaria for a month without air-con. Just to clarify, by wetting the bed sheet I m ... (show full quote)

My first thought you did it from standing on the wardrome ;(
+
DanielC
post 28.Jun.2010, 11:36 PM
Post #10

Today was indeed very hot. I'm pretty impressed that Sweden can pull off a day as hot as this. I thought I was going to evaporate.
+
Mahmood
post 29.Jun.2010, 08:46 AM
Post #11

BTW I happen to be in a place called Dhahran on a day when it was 78oC with heat index, though meteorologists believed that the maximum attainable heat index temperature is 71oC. It was gorgeous.
+
Fishtank
post 29.Jun.2010, 08:48 AM
Post #12

DidIE here is solution my 6 year old niece came up with.

Make sure no one is around and sneak into kitchen and open refrigerator as well as deep freezer doors and stand in front of it unless you feel little better. wink.gif
Works charms. Longer you hand around, better. smile.gif El is little more but that is problem we can handle at later date

*Does not work well if people are around. wink.gif

Dairy section in supermarkets can also be place to hang out for longer time during tough times like this.

*Disclaimer: If Mr. DidIE finds this trick of yours, you are on your own and this is your idea not mine. Full stop.
+
DidiE
post 29.Jun.2010, 09:47 AM
Post #13

I actually did linger in the frozen food section of Hemköp yesterday, until the store person started giving me weird looks. Am back home in Skövde today, where our outdoor thermometer read 41 for a few minutes as it was in direct sunlight. Dang. That is a high for us here, at any rate.

78 C in Dhahran? Yeah, but it's a dry heat...It would be a sight to see, I bet.
+
Dazzler
post 29.Jun.2010, 10:20 AM
Post #14

Where is this heat you speak of? Must of been a bubble of heat in Karlstad I missed out on, of course having Vänern as my back yard might of helped the thermometer from rising too high. In any event, in the 5 total years I've been in Sweden, I don't ever remember getting hot heh.
+
DidiE
post 29.Jun.2010, 12:01 PM
Post #15

Ya know what- it could have been a bubble, actually. I was in the middle of the city, surrounded by pavement and concrete, and not a lot of shade around, in the early afternoon.

I could indeed head back to the North Pole, as was so charmingly suggested by RH, but Fairbanks, Alaska, can get damn warm this time of year, too. No point doing anything put making sure there's plenty of ice cubes and looking up sangria recipes. I am such a whiner right now.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: